1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem with trunk drop down in 2016 new Prius redesign

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Eve, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Eve

Eve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you have already discussed this I apologize, as I have not been here in quite a while.I am getting ready to lease my fourth Prius. I had an 08, 10, and now 13. level 3.I took a peak at the new 2016 when at the dealer recently
    (yes Hi!, to all the Earl Stewart watchers.) I really have a problem with the drop down of about 4 inches in the cargo area. As a transporter of 40 - 50 lb boxes that need to be lifted out, this is a BIG problem. NO I DONT WANT A V! Any recommendations or solutions. I am very disappointed in this part of the redesign and in a hatch this makes no sense to me, and why did they do this? I assume they think it gives you more room, but the whole point of most hatches is to have a straight pull out of items in the rear. IMHO thanks in advance to all comments....

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    bisco and Eve like this.
  3. Eve

Eve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ok thank you. I only walked around and looked inside and it seemed like they all had it.I will have to make a closer inspection of what I was looking at. :)

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A few years back my sister-in-law was by with her Matrix, back seats flipped down, loaded with cartons she wanted us to store. This was pre-Prius days for us. Anyway, the hatch floor on the Matrix was level with the threshold, and the flipped down seats too. And the whole floor was plastic paneling. Everything slid out like it was a mini cargo transport, very impressive.

bisco and Eve like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    isn't it strange how they keep taking two steps forward, and one back?

'LectroFuel, Mendel Leisk and Eve like this.
  6. Eve

Eve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    too small for me..dont get me wrong i LUV my Prius..i dont want to change cars...I hope it was just the model I was looking at and they are not all like that maybe some USA consumers would weigh in that have seen or have the other Model and confirm that is correct.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mendel is right, us and ca are the same. this has been hashed out since the intro. the two, three, and three touring are the only models with donut spare. find one at a yota dealer to look at. you are not alone in the complaint department.

Eve likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the funky thing is, you can fit a spare beneath the lower deck on the other models, so no one can figure out why the models with spare are flush. but that's a good thing for you, since raising the deck is a pita, and no one has attempted it yet.

RCO and Eve like this.
  9. Eve

Eve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bisco..i actually had considered how to build a false bottom myself.....truly a PITA! plus it would add weight in the back and I do not want that. The real question will probable be... the price difference; all for a tire and a flat deck...REALLY what were they thinking and what could possible be the rational for this??? if you could direct me to the old thread on this I would be interested to read it....thank you

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    of course, they get points for more cubic feet in the car mags, but practicality is in the eye of the beholder. there was a member or two who made plywood and styrofoam floors to make it level with the folded back seats so they could sleep in it. i'll see what i can find, it was earlier this year, and i haven't noticed it discussed in a while.

btw, the three is pretty reasonable, and peeps are getting unheard of prices on all gen 4's.

RCO and Eve like this.
  11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A few have changed out the plastic insert in the back which can be bought from Toyota so it is possible to convert the non-level to level. A few others have used the extruded polystyrene insulation sheets from Home Depot/Lowes to level off the floor (eg; for camping purposes) to sleep on the floor.

But the easiest thing is to buy the trim with the level floor. Prior to Gen4, we did not have that option. My guess is the Gen4 level 3 may have a tad less cargo space than your 2013, so just make sure it is OK for what you need.

Eve likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't link, but check out 'step in storage area - solutions?' by @krmcg .

krmcg and Eve like this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Virtually all Canadian models have spare, and level floor, I think. Now, I'm not sure: I saw a demonstrator, and have a vague memory that it had spare and sunken floor.

Maybe @Tideland Prius can "shed some light".

Eve and bisco like this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ok, here's pic I took. I'm not sure, but pretty sure there's a drop. And, it has a spare. The conversation I recall with the sales lady, went something like Oh, dropped floor, so no spare. And the response was that there was a spare. And yes it did.

upload_2016-9-17_18-43-30.png
    Geez, hard to tell. Wait on @Tideland Prius.

Eve likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    apologies, i was not thinking clearly. you know and comment on so much of the u.s. versions, it's almost like we're neighbors.:) but that caused my error, you don't have 6 packages, do you?

Eve likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, there's: Prius, Prius Technology and Prius Touring. All of these have spare, and again, not sure about floor level, having alzheimers moment. Then the Tech level can have optional "Prius Tech Advance Package", which deletes the spare.

Eve likes this.
  17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You pretty much answered the question :)

There are 3 models - Prius, Prius Technology (similar to 3AT) and Prius Touring (similar to 3T). All have spare tires as standard equipment. Only when you opt for the Advanced Package that is available on the Prius Technology (to bring it up to an equivalent 4ATP/PCP) then you lose the spare tire and gain the cargo space.

RCO, Mendel Leisk and Eve like this.
  18. Eve

Eve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you everyone for the clarification. I saw some of the old threads.I liked the foam alternative solution, if I get stuck with the dropped floor.
    If anyone has other solutions please post some pictures.
    I also want to add, I do not visually like thenew exterior design. I find it very generic and at first glance I thought it looked like a corolla and seem cheap looking.
    I am partial to my current design I find it unique ( 2013) ...I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

#18 Eve, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    RCO, Mendel Leisk and alanclarkeau like this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I was waiting on 4th gen expectantly. Now not so much, dismayed by both the exterior and interior styling, loss of storage, ergonomics and so on.

There's a lot of satisfied owners, and you can't dispute the incredible mpg improvements. But for me it's "fox and the grapes", lol.

RCO and Eve like this.
  20. Eve

Eve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Yes my whole reason now is for the MPG as unfortunately I am a "road warrior" for work. Though I know there are other cars very favorable, I must admit the dealership here, Earl Stewart ..FREE PLUG! makes getting a new car lease a piece of cake. They have awesome service and dont treat you like shark bait.Three of my neighbors go there because of my recommendation and we don't live close to them.There are two other Toyota dealers before we even get to them.
    As a women who has leased for over 20 years , you can not even begin to imagine the torture of going to other dealerships and have them think I am some "dumb broad". :(:censored:I happen to be a very smart mathematically and I would walk all over the sales people with the leasing figures. As most sales people do not have a clue what leasing is all about, this would piss them off even more.. So then I learned to go right to the finance guy. This was before the days of smart phones and programs that would spit out the numbers at you.I would say to the finance guy , we work the numbers, this is what I want, just assign any sales guy...Sorry but it really is true..women get treated different..and some times not in a nice way........
    Ok enough of my personal woes...:) thanks all!

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.