1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem with USB port and playing ipod touch

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mel1000, Aug 22, 2009.

1. mel1000

mel1000 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am a very new prius owner. I have the new USB port in my Prius. Most of the time my ipod plays smoothly and I control it through the nav system and drive happily along listening to my ipod.
    But for no apparent reason it just cuts off sometimes. There does not seem to be a recurring chain of events to cause this. I get a message from Nav system saying USB connection was lost and USB tab on Nav screen does not function.To restart the ipod again, I have to unplug and replug my apple USB cord back into the ipod.(not too safe right?) I guess it might be the cord but the cord never seemed problematic before so I doubt it. My ipod touch is an older one,but with latest firmware. Anyone else have this problem yet? Any ideas?:confused:

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sounds like a connection issue to me. Have you tried another cord?

3. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Have you tried using a USB thumb drive or another MP3 player? If there are problems with that also, then the problem would probably be with the Toyota part or its installation.

4. psnsx1

psnsx1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have the exact same problem with my ipod touch. I'm not sure the generation ipod I have but it is 32 gig and before they had bluetooth. My ipod has been connected with two different apple cables that both work fine with my computer. Each time I start the car it will work for as short as 1 minute (not even through first song) and as long as an hour with many searches through the artist for new songs. I installed an aftermarket adapter in my honda accord and can no longer tolerate idiotic radio dj's and mindless comercials. I have got to get this to work. Please help me toyota if you're listening.

5. Mt View

Mt View Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think Toyota is aware they have a problem with iphones. I have tried a number of cables, two different USB Interface kits, and two phones an iPhone 2G and 3G both running OS 3.1. Toyota is supposed to be returning my money for the kit. It works well with a USB flash drive although the User Interface is pretty slow and primative.

6. Thomaus

Thomaus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Technology
    This is a bit troubling. I have a 2G Touch, and was just about to order the USB interface. I've been trying to justify the cost. Since getting the car I've used the Bluetooth to connect the Touch, and it has sounded great. The recent upgrade to iPod software 3.1.1 cured the Bluetooth connection strangeness. So, it works pretty well. (But it's pretty dangerous to have to mess with the iPod to change anything while driving. And soon in Ontario I could get ticketed if caught. Using a dash interface is safer, even though it's still distracting.)

Is anyone using a 2G Touch successfully with the USB Interface?

7. idh

idh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have the same issue with an iPhone 3GS. It works well when it works, but it often doesn't connect to the phone when the car is powered up (but seems to connect consistently when plugged in after the car finishes booting). It also loses connectivity randomly, which requires disconnecting and reconnecting the phone. The good news is that it often remembers where I left off in an audiobook, but the bad news is that if often randomizes it.

-ian

8. Mt View

Mt View Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just my opinion, but here it is:
    1) I think the interface is just OK for flash drives. It is slow and difficult to navigate through a lot of music and only displays two directories levels but it sounds good.
    2) I think the interface is horrid for ipods/iphones and on my car it won't stay connected. I've used multiple kits, phones and cables so either is a broken design or a problem with my car. Also Toyota has said that they have seen it fail on one of their cars.
    3) My plan is to leave a flash drive in the USB port and if I want to listen to my iphone, use my iphone's user interface piping audio through BT or the Aux port. I've bought a proclip mount to put my iphone within easy reach.