1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problems after Hybrid battery reinstall

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Jason Anderson, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Jason Anderson

Jason Anderson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi Prius members I have a 2005 Prius 170,000+ and I just had the hybrid battery cells rebalanced and got the battery back today. My dad took the battery out and I took it to them and dropped it off. I used Dr. Prius in NoVA. Nice and friendly business. But tonight after my dad put the battery back in and we put the key in and hit the start button, everything was lit up on the dash, parking brake light and all across the board. Not sure what is wrong? When I try to shift gears it just defaults to neutral and says to put it in park, caution. I did have an issue with the 12v battery dying while the car sat in the garage till I found the rebalanced business. My dad charged the 12v battery and put it back in tonight. I've read that it could be that? Or the orange lever thingy not being rotated right? The battery levels on the consumption screen had grey bars, whereas before there were none before we got the battery rebalanced. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to get my dad to get codes and see if that is it and I guess we need to read the voltage of the battery while it's on? I just hope this clears up, I've missed my prius so much. I do have a warranty with the rebalanced job I had done.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the 12v cold voltage after off for a few hours. also, try pressing the power button a couple times.

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suspect @ericbecky and some of the other experts will be by shortly.
    Using the "@" sign like I did tags a user so they get an alert they were mentioned.

4. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    bisco is correct, after reinstalling the HV pack you need to press the start button twice while keeping your foot on the brake pedal to start it.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep just like after u install a new 12 volt battery.

But if that don't work turn on the headlights and see if they are bright. If so check the orange safety switch is installed correctly,
    Slide it down then flip the lever down.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep just like after u install a new 12 volt battery.

But if that don't work turn on the headlights and see if they are bright. If so check the orange safety switch is installed correctly,
    Slide it down then flip the lever down.

7. Jason Anderson

Jason Anderson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you all so so much. So it ended up that we just needed to unhook the 12v while it was off and then when I restarted it I got the System loading on the screen do not power off. I then hit the start button twice real quick and then it felt like it kicked in and all the lights went out. Funny thing was that of course you can't do any driving with the door open, so after that it all seems great. Knock on wood, thanks again!!!

Prodigyplace and bisco like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!(y)

Prodigyplace likes this.