1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problems After Installing Camry Horns?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by teleport, Mar 27, 2016.

1. teleport

teleport New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Forum,

On a serious note, I've decided to leave all plans of modifications (mods) out to keep it looking as stock as possible (which I think is the way to go anyway). EXCEPT for the dinky stock horn :mad:, which is just as well because nothing changes exterior-wise from changing it out...until you HEAR it! ;)

So, after doing research for a while now, it has come to my conclusion that the burly-note "plug 'n play" Camry horns supposedly ubiquitous on eBay/Amazon/etc. will work best, or at the very least just fine.

I admit I considered the infamous FIAMM Freeway Blasters (made in Italy version?) for a short while, until I figured those might get TOO brash/loud in everyday use :eek:!

Living in the city, it's not a rare feat to hear Camry/Sienna horns (taxicabs) :rolleyes:, but I'm conflicted as to what model years I'm supposed to be looking out for ('02-'06, '07-'11, '12-current) o_O?

Anyhow, the Embarrassing/INFURIATING horns :mad: will be changed out by someone else other than myself (mechanic? body shop guy?) because I hear that the process will involve taking off the front bumper and I am NOT in the mood to do all that :cautious: (n)!

Now, my concern that I would like to pass by this lovely forum is how likely would it be for something like this to happen?

Apparently, the guy was wearing a helmet cam when his Mazda Mazda2 started smoldering through the air vents due to a faulty wiring harness from an aftermarket air horn.

Thanks for any input you guys may provide! Have a great Easter (y)! [​IMG]

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's not the horn, it's the wiring. like anything electrical, it has to be done properly. how about an audio shoppe or someone like that with car electrical experience?

there are plenty of threads here on updating the horn, no reports of fires that i recall.

3. teleport

teleport New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Bisco!

You bring up an important point about anything electrical needing to be done properly, I agree. From reading these forums, I hear it's actually a quite simple job, but because it involves taking off (and more importantly, putting back on) the bumper to access the hard-to-reach horn locations that makes the process more involved than it really needs to be. :mad: Thanks Toyota!

Hence, why I simply assumed that my mechanic (or because of the bumper issue, my body shop guy who fixed my hit-and-run before) would do it because I know and trust these guys to not do a shoddy job AND charge an arm and a leg :unsure:. Now, if they are electrically inclined to do the whole job capably aside from the physical portion of it, that's another question.

I always thought audio shop guys were just that, guys who change out stock radio units for those Pioneer aftermarket ones from the '90s and jam subwoofers in the trunk (think Best Buy). Would you suggest the audio guys at Best Buy (do they even still exist anymore?) can do a good job because I personally don't like Best Buy after bad experiences with them in the past :(.

Living in the Midwest, I also know a place called Abt Electronics, but that's a long drive away.

...conflicted :confused:.

Anyway, like you said, I realize this forum is flooded with posts about an aftermarket horn project (which is why I'll just leave all that out from here altogether and pay someone else to worry about all of that), but fortunately, seems to be no reports of fires (y).

Hopefully I won't be the first case! :eek:

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure about best buy, i was thinking more of an independent. but really, who knows if one is better than the other? if you could find horns with a good set of instructions, i'd be more likely to rely on the mfg.'s recommendations.

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The FIAMM Freeway Blasters are just fine. They sound identical to my stock Camry horns.

I installed the Freeway Blasters without removing the bumper cover. The top of the cover needs to be freed, then you can pull it away, enough to reach in and access everything enough to get the job done.

bisco likes this.