1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problems after rain

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AmirZ, Jan 16, 2022.

1. AmirZ

AmirZ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello friends,
    After a heavy rain for few days, I started my car ( 2005 Prius ) and I saw the hybrid battery warning indicator on the main monitor as well as the red triangle, yellow VSC , yellow brake sign next to VSC and red air bag lights. Check engine light is NOT on.
    The car drives well and the hybrid battery fan doesn't turn on which means the hybrid battery is not overheating and it's charging properly.
    Dr Prius app shows total voltage of 217 v and blocks have voltages between 15.4 to 15.6.
    Battery temperature is 100 degree.
    Code scanner shows the following codes, which may not all related to this problem.

C1310 ( HV system malfunction / Active booster solenoid )
    B1271 ( combination meter ECU communication stop )
    B1000 ( airbag ECU malfunction )
    P3107 ( lost communication with airbag system control module )

I checked the 12V battery area and there was water there, which I dried it.
    12V battery seems to be fine, hybrid battery seems to be fine and the car doesn't seem to have any problem, but I can't clear these codes.
    When I clear them, they come back on in 5 seconds.
    The problem might be with bad 12V battery, water in hybrid control module or anything else.
    Has anybody else had this problem before who can guild me to the right direction?
    My hybrid battery could be the source of the problem, but I doubt, because it all started with that heavy rain.
    Any help from you guys is greatly appreciated.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you might need tech stream for this, but you can try opening up the hybrid battery and looking for corrosion

3. AmirZ

AmirZ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    But water didn't get to the hybrid battery.
    Do you think there may still be corrosion in there?

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think you need a more capable scan tool that can communicate with ALL the ecu's on a Prius. When you have network communication faults, you have to be able to check every ecu to see if any can't talk, as well as which ones that can talk are setting codes about which other ecu's.

C1310 is the brake control ecu saying "hey, the HV control (hybrid control) ecu says it has a problem. Go over there and check for codes."

You would also need a copy of the service manual (with wiring diagrams), and a decent grasp of how data bus networks function. I might expect that an ecu or electrical connector somewhere got wet and is disrupting communication

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. AmirZ

AmirZ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thank you very much for your detailed response.
    I have an INNOVA 5160.
    How can I use my scanner to see which ECUs can't talk or have issues?
    Would you please give me more direction of how to use my scanner to get more data out of the car?
    How can I roll out any problem with the hybrid battery ?

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah your scanner sucks not pulling hybrid codes pretty common. Car is throwing a hybrid code.

Get DR Prius it’s a free phone app and requires a Bluetooth obd interface from Amazon.com. Easy setup.

7. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you test the 12V battery's voltage? Maybe the cables got wet and/or corroded? Pull off the cables on both posts, clean everything, and put them back on. Verify that the ground strap from the negative post to the body is good.

Can't clear the codes how? If you unplug the 12V battery those codes should go away. If you turn the car on but don't start the motor (press power twice without your foot on the brake) after reattaching that battery you should be able to verify that. Then start the car and see if they come back.

8. AmirZ

AmirZ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes, I have a Bluetooth OBD-2 scanner too.
    Dr. Prius shows the modules have voltages between 15.4 to 15.6 .
    Please see the attached screenshot from Dr. Prius App.
    Does this by itself mean the battery is bad or it means the battery is still OK or it doesn't show enough information to evaluate the condition of the hybrid battery?
    Regarding the 12V battery, I took it to Autozone, they checked it and said the battery is good but needs to be charged !! Not sure what does that mean. Does it mean the alternator doesn't charge the battery properly? The 12V battery is 3 years old.
    Yes, the 12V battery cables seems to be clean. They aren't corroded.
    I removed the 12V cables from the battery for 30 minutes and reconnected them again. As soon as I tried to start the car again, the lights all came back on.

Attached Files: