1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problems aligning after installing Prius Offroad lift kit

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by 15persona, Aug 25, 2022.

1. 15persona

15persona Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I recently installed the 1.5" Prius Offroad Spacers. The only issue during install was that the right front strut holes would not line up with the holes on the hub to get a bolt through it. The left front was easy im not sure why the right front was so difficult. I eventually was able to leverage it using a flathead screwdriver and was able to get the bolts through it.

So I got new tires put on and then took it to get aligned today and they said that the right front is still out of spec on the camber and they can't adjust it any further.

They want to drill a new bolt through the right front strut (and hub i think) that would put the car back in spec.

Why am I having this problem with the lift kit? I haven't read about anyone else having problems aligning their car.

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps because it wasn't designed for it????

Doug McC and Grit like this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You should be able to use a camber offset bolt if we're talking about the two upper bolts in the the two bolts in the strut not grabbing and sliding through the hub yeah that must be right they make bolts that go in there that are offset that allow you to adjust the camber up to two or four degrees and I'm sure you're not out that far

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm not sure I'd want them drilling out my aluminum hub to an oversized hole to basically get the same effect use the proper crash bolts they're not that expensive that's what they're called they're made by the alignment company that makes all the bolts and shims for whatever alignment system the company is using there's a big company that makes these I just can't think of the name of them I have them sitting on my desk but they're not in the box.

5. 15persona

15persona Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Camber offset bolt sounds right but I thought he said they had to drill a hole for it to go through

It's currently 0.5 degrees off. Spec is 0.6-1.0 and mine is at 1.5

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I can direct send you a pic of one of these bolts I have for sitting here on the table they're made by alignment specialty corporation or something like that you don't do any drilling you buy the right bolt that fits your hole The bolt will be skinnier than that big thing you're taking out and it'll have an offset hump running down some of the shank that bolt fits in the hole that is not drilled either of them on the strut or in the aluminum The bolt goes through there then you rotate the bolt head until you get the desired camber and then you lock the nut couldn't be simpler in the old days this is how these bolts came to be made people would drill the cast iron holes and move with the larger hole and no cam and that can work but then if you hit something or something gets smacked good it can knock it all out of alignment pretty easily tighten nuts against the bolt won't really hold that hub squash between the strut holding ears like that. So it's best to have a solid bolt running through there or that cam hitting against the Steeler aluminum holding it in place in the event of a large bump.

7. 15persona

15persona Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Please post it to the thread if you can. I don't want to do any drilling I just want the tires aligned right with as little further modification as possible.

8. 15persona

15persona Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    My question was why is my car having alignment issues and no one else has mentioned this before. You did not answer my question. I was originally planning to buy a truck as a second vehicle this year but the chip shortage has pushed that back a few years so I am improvising to make the prius work.

I live in denver and I ski. 5.5" of ground clearance is not enough here. You'll eventually get stranded in a storm in the mountains. It's just a matter of when not if.

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm not sure by adding the necessary lift kit what would make your bolts on your hub not line up reasonably well with your strut mount points I mean it is normal to have to take a lady slipper or a bar sometimes to get the top one to line up so you can put the bottom one in or vice versa but certainly not to the point where you need two or three people twisting on the lady slipper or anything like that there's enough in the design to do this I'm not sure exactly what parts are being used to lift the car top plates longer struts shims at the bottom whatever many ways to do it I don't see how that would pull your alignment out unless literally the strut or something like that is not made correctly or the strut pieces of metal where the hub is going to rest in the bolts go through is not mounted properly to the strut in other words welded wrong. Any of that is possible No one can answer that without having all the parts looking at them measuring them comparing them to factory just to see

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The quickest way I can't post a link here if you go on Amazon and Google specialty products camber bolts they will pop up immediately not the ones for your Toyota but them in general then you can Google your car and get the exact part number that's made to fit your vehicle they're just funny looking bolts and when you hit Amazon specialty products camber bolts specialty products is the manufacturer. They've been making these for 50 years or something they make all kinds of neat stuff for alignment and suspension The link will not paste here I guess that's normal than mailing list or something.

11. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So what looks different on the right than on the left? Does the vehicle have any history of being in an accident? Do parts on each side not match? I definitely think the lift kit isn't the problem but something specific that made the right different than left at some point in the past.

I'd be hesitant to except work around alignment shop proposed, at least until you diagnose the original cause and compare the cost of fixing it directly with proposed work around.

12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    In my experience is something's bent even if it's the frame it can generally be pulled or twisted pretty close to where it used to be now whether it needs some additional support or what have you depends on how bad the damage is. I have had cars on a frame table before and seen the magic they can work with a chassis or unit construction frame it's pretty cool I mean some shops can rebuild the car and you can never even tell even if you take the front fenders off and look at the frame rails and stuff but the framing and everything almost looks factory you'll eventually find where they seamed replaced and did whatever but I'm just saying. But it's also very costly hence the quickness of insurance companies to cancel your car out.

13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You do it because you can!!!

14. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Why not reach out to Prius Offroad for their advice.

Is the spacer orientated correctly on top of the strut assembly?

iPhone ?

15. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    so... um unless someone mentioned it... which, it didn't look like they did... the car will not align if the strut toppers are not facing the proper way... not that I have any experience lifting a Prius...

16. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  17. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Why are the lifting kits throwing off your camber You're just putting a spacer on the top plate or up there near the top plate where the three bolts are under the hood that you look at the upper strut mount so what's happening up there is are there making theirs and the hole for the strut rod is cock to one side or what are we talking about here I have adjustable pillow ball mounts that can go up there I can loosen two or three Allen screws and can move the strut driver side or passenger side to change the camera if I desire to put those up there I guess these are just spacers that will go on whatever upper mount so my pillow ball mount to go with the spacer below it and then the spring perch and then the rest of the strut of course now another guy is done about an inch or so of lifting with the stuff from a vibe I think it is and playing around with that can probably get you another half an inch some kind of way if you want but I don't see how that would really change your camber unless you're swinging the strut out or way back from where it's supposed to be your camber shouldn't be changing. Of course you can always throw the offset bolts in the hub to strut and make your adjustment there after your all back together so you'll cancel out the inaccuracies of the cheaper lift kits or whatever we're calling these this upper spacer I would honestly think they would be a better way to do this use a set of coilovers and pick the car up two or three inches or 2 in anyway.

18. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    heh... coilovers are on their way to me as I type this... since I now know the height limits of how far the suspension can be pushed and sustained... I just wish they could be adjustable from inside the cabin.. maybe one day!

but to your point... that's why I'm saying this... the cheap kits were not designed to not dramatically throw off-camber. heck, I made mention of one company who recently released a lift kit priced the same as the two quality-designed for the Prius lift kits, both of which dont throw off the camber yet both makes the axle rub metal without sub frame spacers.

I've seen on the bookface more than once now, folks mentioning they had the cheaper plastic kit installed and them not having the same traction that they had previously... thus they didnt buy camber bolts as most time, those purchasing the cheaper kit is doing so to save money and little do they know, they will end up spending more just to get those kits to sit and fucntion properly on their Prius.