1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

problems filling the gas tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by c_ocean, Sep 22, 2006.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScrewedByToyota2006 @ Nov 1 2006, 08:44 AM) [snapback]341849[/snapback]</div>
    This is the first I've heard but I'm seriously concerned about this issue because, like you, I have a 2004 package 9. Please let me know how many Prii to date have reported this issue so that I can calcualte my chances for developing this issue. Once I know the universal-ness of this problem I'll decide whether to take Priapus to the dealer before I encounter the problem. Also, what symptoms did you notice before the bladder issue arose or did you notice any? If you did, were they consistant with what others have encountered before needing their tanks replaced?

2. sparky2006

sparky2006 New Member

I have attached some links to internet postings of people who are having fueling problems with their Prii. Just doing a Google search will yield many others for you to look at:

http://www.hybridcars.com/forums/archive/i....php/t-353.html

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=25799

I believe that the problems with the inaccuracy of the fuel gauge, as well as trouble with fueling and needing to use a slow fueling rate from the nozzle are related to defects in the Prius bladder.
    My main point is that, if we as Prius owners bring our cars to the dealership and report these problems when the car is STILL UNDER WARRANTY, then when/if the bladder completely fails, and you need an entirely new fuel tank at 42,000 miles as I did, then it should be covered under warranty.

I had no advance warning of the problem other than what everyone else describes with their Prii. Trouble fueling at certain gas stations because the nozzle immediately clicks off, and inaccuracy of the fuel gauge.

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< I do not rate the fueling peculiarities for the Prius to be a "problem," rather the nature of the fuel bladder system. For some of the 2004's and 2005's there was a TSB (Techincal Service Bulletin) which would modify the fueling system by replacing the filling tube into the tank, changing out the speedometer/fuel gauge module (which would require having the current odometer reading programmed into the new module to reflect the true odometer reading). This required dissambly of the dash and fuel tank area and many Prius owners subsequently reported no change in the fuel gauge accuracy. To preserve the odometer reading, the speedometer/odometer module had to be programmed by a Toyota technician, not your friendly local dealer, thus a several day wait while your Prius sat idle at the dealer was required. I elected to NOT have this done at the time.

If you're really interested, try searching on "Fuel gauge" or "Fuel Gauge Inaccuracy" etc. Unless you have a 2004 or early 2005, I would not expect Toyota to modify the fuel system under warranty. This is definitely NOT some conspiracy by Toyota as some may have implied.

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Nov 2 2006, 04:28 PM) [snapback]342911[/snapback]</div>
    Inaccurate information alert.

An odometer reading was taken and a part ordered with the car's current mileage. The car did not have to stay at the dealership. The owner was free to keep driving it. When the new module arrived, the owner returned to the service department to have the new component installed.

5. yups

yups Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've noted that if the car isn't level especially if the tank oriface is oriented downslope, there can be premature pump shutoff. the once or twice that the pump has shut off early, the tank opening was pointing toward the downhill side of the unlevel fueling bay.

6. Dr Ed

Dr Ed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Pump switch-off sensors have varying sensitivities. One pump at my favorite station is unusable on my Prius because it clicks off constantly. All other pumps at that station work fine.

7. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

8. Jmad1138

Jmad1138 New Member

I have a little more than 2K on the ODO the last two fills I could not fill the tank up to any kind of capacity and the gas gauge reflected that only showing about half filled. I will try some suggestions here but it seems like a problem to me. I like to be optimistic and consider the tank half full, not half empty.

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

2004 Prius gas tank part number 77001-47080 Price $322.18
    labour to replace 1.8 hours so $400 dollars seems to me like ScrewedByToyota2006 got screwed by his favourite dealer as well.

10. Mary Snyder

Mary Snyder New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Dec 7 2006, 01:06 AM) [snapback]358758[/snapback]</div>
    Do these problems apply to the 2007 Prius also?
    Mary

11. nicoss

nicoss New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScrewedByToyota2006 @ Nov 1 2006, 06:44 AM) [snapback]341849[/snapback]</div>

We have beaten this issue to death & beyond :angry:

Kegel exercises :lol:
    Bladder retraining :)
    InterStim Therapy :eek:
    A Flomax pill in the tank before refuelling :p