1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problems in paradise after tranny swap

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by borgestes, Jul 10, 2018.

1. borgestes

borgestes Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I seem to be getting spanked. I had a prius 2010 have the tranny fail after the owner pulled the trailer a couple times too many. I have it all back together and I cannot get it to run.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SMWf6a-tR0KtwWmPmbjHUNlBCCSxAhrh

This is a link to all the screenshots. I understand they are pretty poor quality but hopefully someone can see something. Any suggestions would really be appreciated cause I cannot figure out what mr computer is unhappy about. It runs for about 8 seconds and shuts down saying check hybrid system.

I just added a second copy off another phone camera, Hopefully someone can see something that I don't see

#1 borgestes, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you sure the swapped tranny is good?

Post the codes you're pulling on the car now

3. borgestes

borgestes Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    codes are on the link. The tranny came out of a running car, salvage yard. The mg1 numbers look right. I don't know what its unhappy about. Thanks

swapped coils outside to inside, no change on the trouble codes

Attached Files:

#3 borgestes, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  4. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any sensor/plug that appears to be plugged in, can still have a poor connection. I had my prius die on me 5 miles away from my house. Luckily I had my obdII reader on me. Read it as a cam shaft position sensor. I pulled on it and it was plugged in. Cleared the code and restarted car, code popped up again. I then unplugged and replugged it in, reset code and it has not reappeared since. So bizarre.
    Worth a look to go over all your connectors again. Buying parts from a wrecked salvage prius is what worries me. It is a lot of labor to get it replaced for warranty.

m.wynn likes this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I sold a gen 3 that was running for $2000 last year. The engine burned tons of oil, blown head gasket and had transaxle issue. I didn't bother trying to fix it.

It probably ended up at a scrap yard and whoever buys the engine or transaxle would have issues

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    For no particular reason I just dont feel comfortable when the word "tranny" is used in this context.

m.wynn, Raytheeagle and JC91006 like this.
  7. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Turd gen P0A0F with momentary start-up/stall is most commonly reported from simply leaving the PCV hose disconnected, fwiw. My personal experience with it kept me in the garage til 2:30 a.m. :cool::rolleyes:...

danlatu and Raytheeagle like this.