1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problems plaguing Tesla Roadster

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Keiichi, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    http://jalopnik.com/5887265/tesla-motors-devastating-design-problem

So it appears that with so many problems plaguing Tesla with regards to their electric car, another one comes out and makes it harder on their situation.

The roadster's design has introduced another problem that will make the vehicle difficult for some people. The risk of battery depletion given how the car is designed, can prove detrimental to owners, especially if the car is not properly maintained and kept charged. The car's inherent nature of draining the battery can cause problems for users if the charge gets too low, low enough to literally 'brick' the car. Which means you can't afford to let the battery charge to go too low or else risk making the car completely inoperable, even for towing.

This does raise some concerns for other EV based cars, such as the Nissan Leaf, which is mentioned in the article, but this is another blow for Tesla owners with regards to the car itself.

It may also explain a reason why NiMH batteries are still being heavily preferred in some hybrids at this time.

1 person likes this.
  2. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It is because the battery is made out of PC battery cells. The PC cells commonly use a battery protection circuit that will declare the cell unusable when the cell is discharged to a unsafe level. Even if you replace the bad cell, the protection circuit cannot be resetted. So either you have to replace the protection circuit or replace the whole pack.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've only had a chance to read the first part. It'll be interesting to read rebuttals and responses to this.

Regarding the long extension cord, that's interesting. Over a year ago, I did hear a Roadster charging at one of their dealerships and I could hear the coolant pump running the whole time. That's even more power being wasted...errr consumed charging and less going to the battery.

I don't normally browse Tesla forums, but I'd imagine there's chatter about this there.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Given the details of the article, it seems the claims are accurate. If so, I think Tesla needs to have customers sign a disclaimer and really make them aware of the possiblity. No reason to understate the fact it's possible to cause $40k damage the custoer will have to pay for.

5. gasmiser1

gasmiser1 EV Wantabee

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    This isn't an issue for the LEAF per Nissan,

"The Nissan LEAF battery pack will never discharge completely, thanks to an advanced battery management system designed to protect the battery from damage. One element of the battery management system is a fail safe wall that stops the battery from reaching zero state-of-charge, even after a period of unplugged storage." :D

6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    While this is a wonderful solution, every car requires some type of owner care to continue functioning.
    Surprise, surprise, the required maintenance for an EV is different than for an ICE.
    I don't see why the outrage. If you fail to replace the oil in an ICE the warranty won't cover that either.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...owner care (sp)

1 person likes this.
  8. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1 person likes this.
  9. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I believe the outrage, in the case for Tesla, is the fact the car is designed to constantly drain the battery to some point, with no protection with regards to the battery like the Leaf should have. What complicates the matter for Tesla cars, is that if there is NO power, you will not be able to even tow the Tesla, because the towing mode requires battery power.

The ding that is the real sting of the whole issue is that if the car was parked in a place that it does not get a charge, like for instance, most public parking places (Which not all public areas have charging stations) or in airport long term parking and not charing the car above the failpoint or exhaust the battery, you basically have a high chance of bricking your $40k car.

Unlike your arguement, Zythryn, you are arguing a situation were a user is knowingly not replacing the oil in an ICE engine and continually running it, despite having not only opportunities to replace the oil, but ignoring it all together.

Tesla car drivers will be basically playing russian roulette in situations where they have to leave their car in a situation of not getting charged, like, for instance, running from a full charge to half charge to a location and then getting delayed in returning while their car is still discharging power over time, with no means to recharge it due to the inconvience of the location not providing a power or recharging point for electric vehicles.

Again, you have to understand that while there are nice incentives to getting electric vehicles, not everywhere will have recharging points or convenient power outlets for people to charge their car. And is it the fault of the driver who has only this means of transportation, unable to recharge their vehicle, so much so, the vehicle literally becomes a brick, simply because they happen to parked in a parking lot that does not provide recharging points and no other option to park?

To be honest, no... You can't fault a driver for that situation, at the same time, a car designed that will not even be MOVABLE if the power pack is completely depleted and renders the car a literal brick, because the car is designed to be 'always on'... This suddenly makes the practicality of an EV car rather moot for a lot of people, especially given the current situation where we are still 80 to 90% reliant on gas for all things and have yet to provision alternate fuel source supporting infrastructure to everywhere people would use it beyond the home.

This is one of the reasons I am not 100% sold on the plug-in or pure electric vehicles yet, due to where I work, the means to recharge while at work are virtually nil and, at the time, the vehicle I would like, is not quite ready for plug-in support yet.

Do I want an electric car? Yes. But at the moment, the technology is not quite there yet for it to be practical beyond short range at the moment.

10. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Such as what other problems?

Actually, typical NiMh cells have a substantially higher self-discharge rate than typical Lithium Ion cells. You can discharge a Prius NiMh pack to the point where the car no longer functions. Apparently the cells can be revived at the dealer through use of a specialized charger. I haven't heard of this happening much in practice. You would "brick" your 12V lead-acid battery well before that.

The article claims amount to a very small number of cars having battery failures because the owners didn't follow clear instructions in the car manual describing what should be done during long-term storage. PHEVs like the PiP and Volt will be less prone to this problem because they will normally stay above 20-25% minimum charge level during normal use.

11. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You will note, however, Tesla is not going to help you with regards to it, as you pointed out with the statement of 'not following clear instructions'. As I stated before, I feel that in the short term, this will still be a problem until there is actual charging points at various locations to support it. At the moment, not many cities have yet adopted charging points, or companies for electric cars and with the short range, the incentives aren't quite enough for the pure electrics unless people have charging points to make it worth while.

12. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Anyone needing a place to store and charge your Roadster, PM me. I'll even drive it for you to keep the tires nice and round.

1 person likes this.
  13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^ Me too. :D

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hopefully, on the Model S, you'll get a text as the battery gets to a critical level to warn you. I think a lot of these roadster owners are collectors who park their car in a garage, don't charge it, don't drive it, then wonder why the battery drained and died. Look at Ebay, there are 2 of 5 Roadsters for sale now with 500 miles or less on the ODO...that's ridiculous, I drive over 1000 miles per month! It's not a car made to sit unused and there are more than enough warnings about the risk in the owner's manual.

1 person likes this.
  15. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't understand how this issue warrants a second look from anyone
    but a Tesla owner... like Daniel, and maybe Evan.

This is exclusively a Tesla issue. It has no relevance to all the other EVs.
    It says nothing about the adoptability/viability of the other EV
    technologies.

Not even a tempest in a teapot...
    more like teeny-tiny ripples in a thimble.

So, why all the thinly disguised FUD?
    What's the unstated agenda?

[​IMG]

16. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Nonsense and FUD.
    This is almost as bad as the Hummer vs Prius FUD.

There is no outrage, there are people acting incompetently and getting in trouble for it. I bet you could Brick a Leaf too if you let it sit long enough.
    Lithium batteries discharge over time. IF background stuff is chewing up more power, that should be curtailed when the battery gets low. I suspect it is, but can't say for certain at the moment.

This isn't going to happen if you drive the car down to the store, park and come back an hour later. You would have to leave the car for weeks or months. Unless for some reason you would plan on driving ANY electric vehicle to an airport with only 10% charge left and leave it for days or weeks?

The need to not let the charge get to zero is well documented (overly so I would say). But no matter how well you document something, some people will ignore instructions.

While the charge depleting whether you are driving or not (at a much slower rate obviously) is not identical to oil in an ICE, both are standard care for their respective vehicles.

17. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually none of them were. I am guessing collectors,or investors would be the most likely group to read the instructions and follow them.

There have been 0.2% of owners over 4 years that have been found to have run into this. One apparently failed to charge his vehicle because he plugged it in with an extension cord:eek:

The text message is a great idea. While it shouldn't be necessary, it would be helpful and make the system more full proof.

18. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, but your earlier arguement is also bereft of taking into what I stated before. If you drive to half the charge left in the car and unable to charge it, you are not exactly in a good position to make it back without depleting the battery. This is also taking into account the other issue right now, which is the availability of charge points between destinations or at destinations in general at this time. The concern, at the current point is just a lack of infrastructure to support the push to pure electric vehicles.

And also referring back to the article, the situation points more towards the Tesla over the Leaf with the statement that while the Leaf states you don't have to worry about the depletion the stipulation was also that you should recharge within a certain period of time versus 'recharge now'.

The only point of pointing out this plaguing thing is more of with the situation of Tesla Motors just having the financial problems but also with the battery pack concept they are using just gives a bad impression in general. While you state it is not following recommended procedures and using the analogy of it just not taking proper care, that would be for some, but again, as I pointed out before, you assume people aren't going to actively try and take care of a car by not changing the oil at all versus trying to keep a car charged in a situation that is bereft of charging points.

19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It takes 11 weeks(likely conservative estimate) for a 100% charged Roadster to reach this brick state. At 50% charge, the car would have to be unplugged and unloved for a month for this to happen. Leaving any car sit for extended periods without proper care can lead to problems.

Alright, an ICE will start up, but an engine turning over doesn't mean the brakes aren't stuck and dragging, a strut isn't seized and ready to punch through its mount and into hood, or varnishes have seperated out of the gas and building up on the valves until a push rod is bent.*

All batteries self discharge at some rate. No EV, or even hybrid, is completely immune to this. With the cost of cars being what they are, you would think people would pay more attention to the battery's care than with a 'free' cell phone.

*these actually happened to me or people I know

1 person likes this.
  20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You can't drive the car down to the brick level, or more precisely you would have to actually work at getting it there by putting it into range mode and repeatedly trying to drive a little bit more after the range hit zero. Even then you might still have enough charge left to be towed or pushed to an outlet.

If there is a lack of charge points where you are going, why would you take the EV? If charging might be iffy at home, why buy one? Would you head into the desert with the fuelgauge on E without stopping at the last gas station?