1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problems Post-Jumpstart

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jesslong, Oct 16, 2010.

1. jesslong

jesslong Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently had my 2005 Prius jumpstarted after the 12v battery ran too low to start the car (I was sitting at a drive-in movie marathon). The roadside assistance guy that Geico sent followed the instructions for jumpstarting the battery found in the manual. As far as charging the 12v battery and getting the car to start, everything went well. I haven't had any issues with the battery since then. However, following the jump, the led screen in the front of the car that shows what gear I'm in, the odometer, gas gauge, etc. stopped lighting up when my headlights are turned on. So if I turn my car on at night, everything lights up just fine. Then when I flick my headlights on, the led screen shuts off. Also after I had the car jumpstarted, the driver's side window stopped working properly. Putting the window down part-ways or all of the way works fine. However, when I try to put the window back up, the window goes back down about 2 inches. I have to do this over and over (about 10 times) before it finally stays up. It seems like something is going wrong with the sensor, but I'm not sure. All 3 other windows function fine.

Have either of these things happened to anyone else before? Im hoping it's an easy fix like replacing a fuse or resetting a breaker because I don't really have the $$$ for a dealer visit.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As for the dash when you turn on the headlights, check your instrument panel dimmer switch and make sure that is not turned all the way down. This is one thing that would make the dash lights go out when the headlights are turned on.

As for the driver's window, check the owner's manual and get the steps it takes to "retrain" the auto window feature. If you do not have an owner's manual, search this sight for the driver's window issue after disconnecting or losing the 12V battery.

1 person likes this.
  3. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would check the fuses! I had the instrument dimmer switch turned off during the day and the lights are still on, but at night they are not on. I think it works along with the auto on driving lights, or the light switch being on? Not sure about this thou. But I do know that with the dimmer off the panel still lights during the day, but not at night. H

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The next problem you will face is when the 12V battery dies. Draining them takes away much of their remaining life.

Whenever you want to sit in the car for more than five minutes using any accessories, put it in Park and leave it ON. Then it takes care of its own batteries exactly as it was designed to do.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Both of these tidbits are exactly correct.

If the panel does illuminate at all, then the fuse is not blown, and neither is the panel itself. When you turn the headlights on, it dims to the value set, which for whatever reason is allowed to be turned completely off. It seems like it is set all the way off.

If the driver window works, then it just needs to be retrained. It "senses" the position based on time and current, not just current. So your window was not rolled all the way up or all the way down when you jumstarted and reset all the electronics, so the time up or time down will never be accurate since your starting point is never 0. The current will spike when it hits an obstacle (like the top), but not enough time has elapsed, so it will back off as if something was stuck (like a babies hand). So you need to retrain it.

1 person likes this.
  6. ogpesty

ogpesty New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi all, can I jumpstart my 2008 Prius with a battery tender? If so, do you know what type of battery tender would suffice? So far, I've had AAA jumpstart my car each time and I am tired of calling them...Also, is there a way to "unplug the 12V battery" when I leave my car unused for >3 weeks and then plug it back on so I don't have to jumpstart it? Thank you!!

7. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    How old is your battery? It sounds like you need a new battery, at least find out what condition it's in. If you can take it out of the rear compartment, go to a auto parts place and they can check it for free. Minimize jumping your battery, every time you do it, it's an opportunity to do it wrong and in turn cost you a lot of money. Doing it wrong can damage your inverter $$$$.

A "battery tender" is typically used to trickle charge a battery for long periods of time, in your case three weeks +.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You would jumpstart your car with a portable jumpstart device. That has a little 12V battery within. However you have to keep that jumpstart device charged up, by plugging into AC house current when it is not in use.

One way to disconnect the 12V battery is at the battery itself. However the problem with that is that once the hatch is closed, you will not be able to reopen the hatch without crawling into the back of the car and finding the manual release for the hatch lock (since the normal hatch release is electric.)

Access to the hatch lock manual release requires you to remove the folding hatch floor. You will see a large black plastic tray over the spare tire. The rear of that tray has a small access panel. You need to open that access, then you should see a shiny metal lever which is attached to the hatch lock. That is the manual release.

The other way to disconnect the 12V battery is at the main relay/fuse box next to the inverter in the engine compartment. Open the box lid and find the dedicated jumpstart terminal which is covered by a red plastic cover. Pivot that cover so the terminal is exposed.

You will see a threaded stud and a 10 mm nut. Remove that nut. Use longnose pliers to pull up the wire attached to the stud. That will disconnect the 12V battery. Then replace the nut on the stud and close the red cover. Place the wire over the red cover, then replace the relay/fuse box lid. Then close the hood and manually lock the car.

When you want to restore your car to operation, use the door key hidden in the Prius fob to open the driver's door. Then open the hood and reconnect the wire that you had earlier removed from the jumpstart terminal.

The 12V battery should be fully-charged, prior to storing the car.

Raytheeagle likes this.