1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problems refueling

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Dscycler, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Dscycler

Dscycler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    refueling issue first time filling my 2019 Prius Prime. The pump keeps shutting off the flow. I thought I had managed to fill the tank only to find out the gauge was still 2 bars down from full. I went back to another pump and after additional shutoffs finally managed to fill the tank. My first try was 2.2 gallons. Second try got in 3.1. 53 mpg on my trip to San Diego and back and the gauge now looks full. Is there something "wrong" with my car or is this typical of the 2019 Prius Prime?

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There have been other threads describing the fueling problem for PRIME and Gen4. In most cases, it is simple operation errors. After the fuel door release is pushed, the refueling has to be finished within certain time limit. The time limit is 30 min, and if you take a long time to finish the refueling, the internal shutoff valve may close and you can't put fuel in. Also, there are some fueling stations with the gas nozzle hitting the fuel cover locking mechanism when you insert the nozzle into the car. This cause the the car to register that the fuel door is closed, again causing the fuel valve to close. The best thing to try when this happen is to close the fuel door and repeat the refueling procedure again being careful not to hit the fuel door open sensor switch when you insert the nozzle into the car.

I can't find the diagram of the fuel door open sensor now. If I find it, I will post it here.

#2 Salamander_King, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  3. Dscycler

Dscycler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks. I have seen the diagrams in the "thick" book and that might be the issue. I will have quite a few tries at the process on a drive from California to Montana to Washington and back in a few days.

Salamander_King likes this.
  4. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I found the thread that discuss this problem. Fuel Filling Problem | PriusChat

Here is the picture taken from the thread above. The nozzle cover is hitting the latch mechanism in the fuel port shown by the arrow. This sometimes makes the car to "think" the fuel door is closed, thus cause the internal valve to close. You can correct this problem by repeating open fuel door switch and inserting the nozzle being careful not to hit the latch.

fuel door.png

Raytheeagle, Dscycler and bisco like this.
  5. Dscycler

Dscycler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I doubt my issue is the fuel door lock that plagued earlier Primes. In my 2019 there is a substantial hunk of plastic protecting the lock
    thingie. Perhaps it is so big that it prevents the pump from sealing over the fill hole. Looks like a less than optimal design for California pumps.
    IMG_20190708_144617.jpg

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you tried a different pump?

7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow!That must be Toyota's response to earlier models prone to false fuel door closed signal. That's good, but it's not good that you are still having the refueling problem. Humm, if it's not the fuel door closed signal, then there has to be something else causing the internal valve to close during your refueling.

Did you read the thread I posted above? There are few other suggestions as to why the refueling problems occur on Gen4 (and presumably on Prime as well).

Dscycler likes this.
  8. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    As a single point of reference, I have had no difficulty refueling my 2018 Prime in California or elsewhere. Pump runs until normal shutoff. I only fueled it once in CA though.

9. Dscycler

Dscycler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I will be trying pumps out of CA on my trip to Montana later this week.

bisco likes this.
  10. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There is the possibility that you have a problem with the tank vent. The vent needs to let the air out of the tank as fuel goes in. If the vent tube is pinched or something and not letting the air flow, then the air will bubble up the filler tube and cause the gas nozzle to shut off.

If this persists, have a dealership check it.

11. killzone4

killzone4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I ran into "inability to put fuel in" issue on one of my early fill ups. No idea why. It never happened afterwards. Probably some glitch with the internal valve.