1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problems... Triangles... feck

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by offib, Mar 24, 2017.

1. offib

offib Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I hope so, I know how to get to it, it's just the timing isn't right (it's about to rain all week) or the place (the car is parked on the street). Since that spring just arrived I would just kick the AC into low. Which brings up something else; the car's AC needs to be recharged. :¬/

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    make sure the rear seat intake grille isn't blocked.

dalcon95 likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Have you diagnosed that the problem is lost refrigerant charge, or just observed that the A/C performance seems to be low?

-Chap

4. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    odds are you have a bad cell inside the HV pack, rebuilding it is fun and easy by following the step by step videos on youtube.. replacement cells can be found on e bay for around $30USD each.. your car is 10 years old so its to be expected to have battery issues.. they don't last forever

5. offib

offib Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Normally it's fine and I do check. I think on that return trip from Kerry, I had an additional passenger. She had a jacket with one of those large fuzzy fur or fake-fur hoods. She could've blocked the vent with her hood, especially when she dozed off from partying 3 days in a row.

ANYWAYS, I booked in a service to clean that fan. Doubt it'll change much other than a peace of mind. I should mention that a few of the times I came down a long hill and got up to 7 or 8 green bars, the car would refuse to use EV mode. I presumed this was normal for the car to protect the pack when temps rise, but I had no comparison or feel with a new car. I should mention this happened last during the summer last year.

I'm pretty sure that there's no refrigerant left, perhaps a leak from the crash my mother had in it before I was given it. The coldest the ''Lo'' setting gets is barely colder, if not as warm as the outside air. I'd say a recharge is in order. But summers never get too hot here, tops of 20-25 Celcius. I thought at high speeds or especially during long descents, it would cool the cabin enough while also slowing the top-off of the HV pack.

Also,

I'm sure battery failures are more rare in temperate climates (Ireland and UK). Aside from imported vehicles like the Gen Is or Previas I've only really seen Priuses up for sale for parts with broken batteries that had very little miles likely from being left sitting over long lengths of time or high-mileage taxis that would see HV battery failure similar to that seen in much hotter areas in the US. I'm confident that my battery is in good condition, but I'm only judging this by its behaviour. I have no clue of how to find the delta voltage or something between the leading and lagging cell.

I'd be more prepared if my pack were ageing, more relieved with that than if something has gone wrong with the inverter or stators.

Before finding out about the Hybrid Automotive chargers, I would've been prepared to buy a cell or two and dismantle it, but realistically I hardly have the place to do that. even if I did, I'd still need a charger. I've just been saving a good head of cash when I order that charger/balancer. When I have the time and space to do so. ... Also not sure of the additional costs that shipping and other fees would bring. I've been told many a story of how useless our postal system could be.

#25 offib, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, but your description is of A/C performance being low. I was wondering if a diagnosis had confirmed that low refrigerant is the cause of the performance being low. Knowing of a prior accident could make it a more likely guess, but the usual sight glass or manifold gauge checks would be the way to find out.

-Chap

offib likes this.
  7. offib

offib Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If there's a possibility of low refridgerent being part or a major cause of the faults, I'd certainly give it more of a look in the furture. Ah sure, it was on one of my bucket lists to fix (or complain). I definitely don't trust my memory, but doesn't the refridgerent or compressor not have anything to do with the inverter or transaxle itself?

But for comfort's sake, driving in the summer is never too much with the windows down, unless it's gridlock...

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmm, were you wondering if I was trying to connect your A/C to your inverter/tranny question? No, not necessarily. More just on general experience, lots of PriusChat posts come from people who are having low A/C performance, and have assumed that means they need to shoot refrigerant in, without first looking into why they're having low A/C performance.

-Chap

offib likes this.
  9. offib

offib Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Ah well. I'll look at it another time, and I doubt it would've made much a difference since none of that cool air would've gotten to the battery.

I got the HV fan cleaned out just today and it was, his words not mine, "full of shite". The previous owner wasn't wrong when he said that he had no pets. The fan was still operational but the fins was just choked with fluff of the same colour as the interior. No animal hair, but there was some that I know for sure was my mother's and/or sister's... or father's.

And to add, before he sold it to us, the rear seats were hardly worn. To think all of us in this forum thought a transaxle oil change was vital before, the HV fan definitely takes the cake!

Wish I got a picture, didn't. It was borderline ridiculous. This car just had 24,000 miles in the family since 2014 and I've put on 7000 since August and there have been a lot of lifts and carpooling... So, families, Taxis or Uber drivers beware, even if you live in a cold country like Ireland.

First impressions, on 4 bars, there is slightly more EV pull from a standstill when normally the engine would immediately start when I accelerate at that charge level.

I hope this is the end of this particular problem.

#29 offib, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  10. offib

offib Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    FML IT'S BACK. VSC light's 'n' all.

It's still derivable and I hope it stays that way.
    I hope I won't find it leaving me out in the middle of nowhere or unable to start in the beginning, but I just don't have to money or time to spare for another service.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :( sorry man.

offib likes this.
  12. offib

offib Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was saving for a HA balancer anyway. Just waiting for the right moment to stab at that order button.

#32 offib, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    bisco likes this.
  13. offib

offib Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    GOOD NEWS EVERYONE.

Basically, remember how I said I went to get the battery fan cleaned out? Well, it was, but someone forgot to put the plug back in for the battery fan.

Between then and 1000 miles ago, I had no more time for any service. There were two severe moments of the overheating where the car didn't use it at all - but kept charging it.

I've noticed a trend that the whole driving experience deteriorates when the two VSC and handbrake light displays roughly 40 min into driving.
    They were just saying the pack was overheating and power was limited.

Noticing this, I got suspicious, frustrated, tore apart the boot and found a the little wire unplugged behind the boot lining.

I'm so serious, the car was dangerous at times to drive - the engine stalling and restarting, bunny hopping the whole car at high speed when I tried to accelerate.

I'm certain that my battery has been damaged by this negligence. But hey, lights are gone, she just passed the 150,000 mile mark and the battery is cool all the time. Pulling in EV mode at speeds and hills I never thought possible.

She's not out yet.

WP_20170526_17_22_15_Pro.jpg WP_20170530_21_22_22_Pro.jpg

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That is very frustrating. When I clean our fan (and this is 3rd gen, so fwiw) I neither remove it completely nor unplug it. I just remove ductwork, sufficient to get to it, reach in and clean between the blades with Q-tips. Then blow with wet/dry vacuum, to chase the dust out.

offib likes this.