1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problems with the dashlights and turning the car off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Berch1943, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Berch1943

Berch1943 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This morning I tried to start my car , only to discover the speedometer / dash lights weren't lighting up at all. But I heard the hybrid system was able to start up, so I thought maybe the hybrid battery needed to be charged a little. I drove around for a few miles , then went to fill up gas , when I got there I wasn't able to get the car to turn off. When I pushed the power button, nothing happened. Finally i was able to get it turned off , I think I hold the power button down, then push it again without foot on the brake , then quickly press it again. But even after that the problems were still occuring. I don't know maybe it was because I replaced my 12v battery a few weeks ago , or it's just somehow acting up. What could be causing all this?

#1 Berch1943, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Google-Fu for "combination meter failure".

The "combination meter" is the big piece with the speedo and the idiot lights. There is a known defect and an extended warranty via Toyota for this exact problem.

SFO, Raytheeagle and Skibob like this.
  3. Berch1943

Berch1943 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could that also be why I couldnt get the car to turn off? I don't know if the warranty would still cover it , my car's over 12 years old.

4. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    You will know after you take the time to talk to your Toyota dealer.

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Logically one wouldn't think so.......but I don't know.

Your symptoms sound very much like one of the batteries going bad.
    Even new ones fail occasionally.

6. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here is the easy fix, ready?
    Hold the start button down for ten long seconds (the hybrid system will turn off and the screen may or may not)
    If the Screen stays lit:
    Lift your foot off the break,
    Then press the start button three times quickly, In less than two seconds(That will shut the rest of the car down and make all the locks work etc.)

iPhone ?

SFO likes this.
  7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Totally bad advice.

There is nothing logical about your statement and clearly you don’t know, as you stated. One begs the question then, why offer advice on situation about which you know nothing? Especially when others who know more about this are offering advice/information.
    Yes, this failure does cause problems turning the car off, and the solution is to hold the power button in for 3 secs until the car powers off. In post #6 Paul gives additional info for when the car powers off but the MFD stays on.

As others have said, it is the common combination meter fault and has nothing to do with the HV (hybrid vehicle) battery.

There is anecdotal evidence to suggest a relationship to changing the 12 V battery, but as yet, I have not read of an explanation of why removing power to the CM board causes or hastens the capacitors to fail. Perhaps one of the electronics gurus who frequent here could offer a theory.

As for a solution to the problem, if you can DIY, obtain repaired CM (with lifetime warranty) from Matt @Texas Hybrid Batteries for $150. This includes pre-programming the ODO with your current mileage. They will give you $75 for your old CM, if you return it to them. They are not the only company to offer this service, but they at a trusted and reasonable service.

If you are not the DIY type, you can still obtain a replacement unit from Matt, and have your local garage install it for you. It will still be way more economical than taking to Toyota.

#7 dolj, Jan 14, 2019
  8. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You have all the symptoms of the combo meter blues. I recommend getting one from here:
    Texas Prius Battery Replacement
    He can program your mileage and vin into the new one. Lifetime warranty also.

9. Berch1943

Berch1943 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah i'm pretty convinced now it must be a faulty combination meter. If I take it to a dealer they will want $800 to replace it. I've done some research, what is the difference between getting a repaired meter and a replaced one? I'm assuming the repaired one is having the capacitor replaced. Speaking of which, other people said that replacing the capacitor on the board has fixed the problem. I don't know whether I should do that, seeing that I have zero soldering experience. My only concern with that is another capacitor will fail within 6 months time or something like that.

10. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s generally more than one cap. Plus you use a higher rated one, that was part of the problem. For your viewing pleasure:

combination meter repair - DIY | PriusChat

11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would not advise you to attempt to do your own repair if you have zero experience replacing capacitors at board level. Also as stated it is not just replacing one capacitor.

Your $150 ($225 - $75 – if you return your defective board to them) from Matt at Texas Hybrid batteries not only purchases a professionally repaired board – with lifetime warranty, but all the knowledge and skill of what needs to be done.

#11 dolj, Jan 14, 2019
    Skibob likes this.
  12. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not exactly. You send him 225. He sends you back 75 when he gets your old board back. Your cost is 150.

13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, about that, i've remembered the detail incorrectly. I'll change my original post.

Still good value at $150, in my opinion.

Skibob likes this.
  14. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You ain’t lying. You can’t even get the meter adjusted at the dealer. They have to have someone else do it. Matt changes the mileage to correct and puts the correct vin number in it also.

15. Berch1943

Berch1943 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay i will think about doing that. Quick question though , how am I going to get the mileage if the instrument panel doesn’t work?

16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can't get the CM to power up at all, talk to Matt to see if he can help. At worst you could send him you defective CM and he could repair it and send it back. It won't be as convenient as a swap bad for good, but at least it will solve your problem.

17. Berch1943

Berch1943 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another member has also suggested it could be a problem with the fuse. Is there any way to check that?

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the other member was able to tell you the specific fuse, then it would be simply a matter of pulling it and using an Ohmmeter to check the fuse for open circuit.

19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Combination meters don't fail outright, they take time to fail completely. I think yours will come back on eventually.

To help it along, people have tried turning on their headlights before starting the car. For some reason, this makes the CM turn on.

Another method people try is to disconnect the 12v negative for about a minute and the car resets. This often turns the CM back on temporarily

20. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It was short and to the point.
    It harmed no body.

YOUR rant, on the other hand was nasty and totally unnecessary.