1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problems with the DICE IPOD kit...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by saelee39, Feb 13, 2008.

1. saelee39

saelee39 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just installed the Dice Ipod kit to my radio and not receiving the same features as stated. I have an 04 Prius, and the newest IPOD classic 160gb:

1. I can only get to the IPOD mode by using the Mode button on the steering wheel, I have heard people can control the source through the MFD screen.

2. My IPOD mode is under CD changer, from there I get only CD1, which goes plays the whole library and I am not able to scroll by artist, folders etc like other people are able to do so.

3. Does not display song title etc.

I have about 2000 songs on my ipod and it sucks having to scroll through each song individually to get to a certain song. What can the problem be? Thanks

2. bdnoona

bdnoona New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You might need to change the DICE unit to work in SAT mode. Then it displays six icons (like the radio stations) in the MFD. They are Playlist, Artist, Album, etc. That way you can sort through them as described. The interface isn't as slick as on the iPod itself, but it definitely works and is worth it to have the iPod and wires hidden away.

Also, by SAT mode, I mean changing the pin switches in the DICE unit to the SAT mode described in the instructions.

3. heyjude421

heyjude421 thread bumper

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I also have a 2004, and I am using an iPod classic. SAT mode is by far the easiest mode.

4. fweeper

fweeper New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    +1 on using it in satellite mode. I tried all the modes and found this to be the best.

-- Fweeper

5. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

Did you JUST buy the Dice unit? If yes, you should be able to get a free upgrade to the Silver unit.

With this version you can no longer operate the iPod itself when it is plugged in. But the response on the car controls is much better and faster.

Unfortunately due to industry standard limitations, you can't get longer test to display on the MFD.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My upgrade didn't come with instructions, what's the pin setting for SAT? I have a 2005.

EDIT: I figured it out. A search here found Vagabond explaining how the settings were on a 2006 and it turned out to be the same.

7. dhalem

dhalem New Member

What industry standard is that?

8. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

The standard where they only show so many characters of the name of the artist, album, and song when sent to the radio from either radio signals, cds, or things that appear to be cds like iPods.

9. saelee39

saelee39 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What is the setting for SAT mode?

10. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Mine scrolls every few seconds. It's more of a blinking scroll, and can be a bit annoying. Still, you see the whole thing.

The Car switches (the ones on the left) are both DOWN.

11. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just got mine installed and I don't get any songs titles or artists. What is it you have to change? A pin setting? Like the slave/master on a hard drive plug?

12. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Looking at the DICE on one side are 4 switches (in groups of 2). For SAT mode, move the 2 switches on the left (they're marked as "car" on the bottom of the unit) both DOWN. Then pressing the AM button twice should bring up SAT. If button 2 is pressed and the knob is turned, you'll scroll though your playlists. If you press TEXT, you'll see the names of the playlist. The same thing holds true for buttons 1 (playlist), 3 (artist) and 4 (album). I must warn you, the DICE seems to be album driven. I mean it'll play the albums in alphabetical order on a playlist despite the order shown on iTunes.

This is assuming you have a DICE Silverline. If you have the older DICE, all switches are in the UP position and you press the CD button twice to get into CD2. What each button does is the same (1 is within playlists, 2 changes playlists), but when you press TITLE you'll only be able to see song title, artist and album with button 1, the rest merely gives the song title and what that button does (2 will say PLAYLIST and the song title, not the name of the playlist). The tuning knob on the radio will do nothing, but you control the iPod by the UP and DOWN buttons on the steering wheel or the iPod itself (the Silverline locks the iPod).

13. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yay!!! It worked! Thanks so much!:D

14. micktravis

micktravis New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you purchase the Dice unit here in the shop, is it the Silverline model, or an older one? There doesn't seem to be an option to choose either way.