1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problems with Voice Commands and Software

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by jarbot, Dec 28, 2012.

1. jarbot

jarbot New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm very unhappy with the Voice Commands and software with my high-end Prius Plug-In. A significant percentage of time my Voice Commands button and software does not work at all, and other times just certain features, such as trying to make a call, don't work, even though the Bluetooth connection for music is working. Does anyone else have this problem, or do I just have a lemon system? This is my second Prius and fourth Toyota, but with all the money I paid for this poorly working system, it may be my last Toyota.

2. Brentley

Brentley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What phone are you pairing to? Does your phone have signal? Does your phone name show up in the screen?

Which voice commands are you trying to use?

I tend to see issues with voice commands when I am running the defrost, as well as when there is a lot of ambient noise (like my one year old).

3. SimiPrius

SimiPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    The one thing I have found is that you have to speak quickly. If you speak slowly, it does not seem to pick up the command. Much different than my wife's 2010.

DianneWhitmire likes this.
  4. jarbot

jarbot New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks, it's that the voice button sometimes does nothing, which I think is a software problem. I have an iPhone 4s, but it doesn't appear to be a Bluetooth issue, as the music works. Sometimes nothing happens when I select the Voice Command button, sometimes I don't have the Call command choice enabled, and sometimes the Call command choice is enabled but then does nothing.

5. AvLeg

AvLeg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My iPhone 5 is kinda buggy but for the most part the voice dial commands work pretty good. Sometimes it responds with a "pardon?"o_O when I say a name in my phone book. The next time it works great.

I can't get iheart radio or Pandora to work at all... just have to use the XM until the trial runs out. My dealer just points the finger at Apple with the iphone 5 and ios 6. Talk to Apple and they point the finger at Toyota. I think that it is more of a problem with Toyota and Entune rather than the other way around.

6. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    i think it's important to keep clear what we're talking about here.
    the voice command button on the steering wheel activates the CAR's voice command system. you will see the commands that you can issue on the MFD when you press this button. in my experience, this system is unbelievably slow, especially because there's no way to say when you're done saying the command.
    the voice command on your phone, i.e. Siri, is activated by pressing and holding the home button on your phone. There is no way to activate this system from the car. This is UNLIKE normal Bluetooth headsets that allow you to press and hold (or just press) a button on the headset to activate Siri.
    In part because I have multi-language contacts and because of how slow the car voice command system is, I primarily use Siri.

DianneWhitmire likes this.
  7. AvLeg

AvLeg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That is what I'm talking about and the compatibility/incompatibility with my iphone 5 running iOS 6... at least this is what I was told by the people at the dealership... that Toyota is "working on it" My voice dial really works pretty well... at least most of the time. Entune is what doesn't work at all with Pandora and iHeart Radio.

8. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Admittedly, it's glitchy.
    It's actually not just the PlugIn - it's all Entune products ... I have to sell this system in nearly every car we sell across the board. The better the system (head units) - the less trouble these seem to be. A hard reset helped mine a few days ago... they do some sort of flash to it in service.

9. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My car understands me perfectly. "favorites home", "find next Starbucks", "favorites work"

iPad ? HD

10. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What do you mean when you say compatability? There is no way to activate Siri (and thus your phone's voice control) from the steering wheel. End of story. It's not a compatability issue, it's that way by design, and it won't ever change.

11. AvLeg

AvLeg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Never once mentioned Siri. Im talking about Entune...have been all the time. Looking back above I guess I should have made that more clear in my post #5. Also look at Dianne's post above. My salesman told me the same thing... that the problem is with Entune and Apple across the entire Toyota line, not just the plug in. That's what I'm referring to. I have never used or tried to use Siri with the car's hands free system.

"Incompatibility" is the word that the people at my dealership used. Not me.

12. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't understand then. The voice control in the car works independently of the phone, so what "compatibility" issues are we talking about here? What doesn't work?

13. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I also trust about 5% of what "people at the dealership" say, because most of the time most of them don't know what the hell they are talking about (note I'm NOT talking about Dianne here).

14. AvLeg

AvLeg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Entune with being able to listen to Pandora and iHeart radio in the car does not work at all. It might lock on a radio station for a minuet or two and then quits. It shows the station and appears to be locked on but no audio. Same with Pandora. Are you able to use Pandora and iHeart radio successfully?

As far as voice dialing... I said earlier my voice dial works pretty good most of the time. Occasionally it doesn't seem to know what name I am asking it to call... and responds with "pardon?"

The phone always shows to be successfully connected via bluetooth. Don't think that's a problem.

The phone shows I am running the latest software version... 6.o.2

These two issues are what I was told is due to a compatibility issue with Entune and the Apple iPhone iOS 6 and that Toyota is working on the problem. Don't know how else to explain it. Oh well... I am able to enjoy the XM radio as well as AM and FM. Didn't get the car for the Entune app.

Sounds as though I am the only one here with these Entune/iphone problems?

john edon likes this.
  15. AvLeg

AvLeg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree... when shopping around locally at different dealerships the salesmen were totally clueless as to the pip. Most didn't have a charger to demo the car in EV mode on a test drive.. let alone deliver a new pip to me with a full battery.

Dianne was just too far away from me. I talked to her on the phone but I knew what I wanted and got a great price locally. Also I stay off the 405 as much as possible... especially without the HOV access. Sorry Dianne.

16. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't used it extensively to be honest. I know that it worked fine on an iPhone 4S and iOS 5. I haven't tried it since updating to iOS 6 a month ago. I'll give it a try sometime and let you know.
    One quick question: are you using Bluetooth or USB for the Internet connection?

17. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't have iPhone but I do have Galaxy S iii, when I had my original phone (still android) I was using 3G and Pandora kept buffering or losing internet connection, when I went to 4G my Pandora listening experience improved, it rarely stops working now.:D

18. AvLeg

AvLeg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Bluetooth. Yes, please let me know if iOS 6 works for you. Thanks!

19. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    to follow-up with what PK said, are you on Sprint by any chance?

20. AvLeg

AvLeg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm ATT... grandfathered in with an unlimited data plan. No LTE here yet but 4G is much improved over 3G. Was in Las Vegas not long ago and had a LTE connection... very fast!(y)