1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Professional Backup Cam Installation for SoCal and Elsewhere

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Dogwood2, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Dogwood2

Dogwood2 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Here's an easy, affordable path to a decent backup camera if you don't want to do it yourself. I'll post the roadmap; forgive me if it's already been posted (I know there have been a lot of backup cam threads; I figured it was worth starting a don't-do-it-yourself thread).

Here's an Amazon listing for $120.95. The 75 customer reviews are overwhelmingly positive. This camera will fit a Prius or Prius C (Three or Four) for 2012-2014, and some other Toyotas.

Amazon offers: "Need this installed? Book a top-rated pro directly on Amazon. Backed by our Happiness Guarantee." If a nearby installer has registered with Amazon, you'll see a link to installation offers.

I'm in the Los Angeles area. For me, the link says the installation price is $200, but when I click on it, I see the backup camera installation is only $100; $200 would cover both a backup camera and another sensor. So I click "camera only" for the $100 job. Then you can click on the day and time you want to come by (be sure to allow time for the camera to be sent to you).

The installer it offers me is "SoundScape", which is located in Downey a few blocks from Penske Toyota. The Amazon reviews are positive: http://tinyurl.com/mzudojg

It's a real store. Its website is pretty minimal: Untitled Document

Here's a Google street view: https://goo.gl/maps/3Dnx3

So those are the pieces of the puzzle, and it all comes together easily. Click on Amazon to buy the camera and set up an installation appointment. A quick email exchange with John at SoundScape to confirm the job. Get the camera from Amazon and show up at the appointment and leave the car for a couple of hours, and it's done. Total cost, $220.95. This is what I did, and it's great.

Rareearthmetal likes this.
  2. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Looks like the links to the camera got screwed up, as they just point to Amazon's home page. Can you try them again?

3. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Link works for me. You can try this:

4. Dogwood2

Dogwood2 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Seems that the word "Amazon" gets auto-linked to the Amazon.com home page. I wonder if there's a way to turn that off? The specific links for the product and other sites work properly.

5. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have no idea what went wrong with you, but I clicked on the picture or the underlined "Toyota Rear Backup..." and it popped up the right page on Amazon.

6. Dogwood2

Dogwood2 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Aha, this quirky link behavior seems browser-specific. As I say, the intended links work fine across the board. But some extra links get added in Firefox but not in IE or Chrome.

7. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'm using Pale Moon (Firefox variant), and I'm getting the Amazon underlined links. But I had Adblock turned on, and it was blocking your product link, which looks like an inserted ad rather than a straight link. However, the Amazon review link and the installer website both showed up.

The product link works OK with Adblock turned off.

8. MaXPowers

MaXPowers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I took my C to Prius Express in Sun Valley and got it done for $160. Took about an hour or so and everything looks like it came out of the factory.

apablo likes this.
  9. AliIzad

AliIzad Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just purchased the same kit. The kit has everything you need and the camera feels and appears to be well made; it's solid and heavy. Also, it is a 6 volt camera which is what the C's system puts out; no need to tap into a 12 volt source. I plan on installing it myself as many people here have done and provided great instructions. On another note, I bought mine on eBay and saved $10. It's the exact same kit and I'm pretty sure it's the same seller. The seller seems like a good guy, I emailed him letting him know that I would not be installing the camera for another couple of weeks which is past his return policy; he responded quickly and positively stating "don't worry, if there are any issues I will stand behind my product and make it right."
    Can't wait to get it installed; half the fun is the DIY.

Toyota Rear Backup Camera Kit for Camry Corolla Prius RAV4 2012 2013 2014 | eBay