1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Professional EGR Cleaning Resources

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mendel Leisk, Oct 5, 2022.

1. OptimusPriustus

OptimusPriustus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That would be nice indeed. But the new sw piece may be about something less thrilling. At least one dealership told me that if car working fine after valve replacement there’s no need to do anything. So our Prius has been on the road with updated valve and old sw for few thousand kilometers now, and no problems of any kind.

I’ll be requesting this famous sw update next time when oils are changed though. But it is rather unpleasant task to try to tell those folks that i did something and now you need to do something because tsb this and.. Warranty of the vehicle expired 10years ago, no fault codes, nothing to repair and in the worst case something go wrong because of 13 years old electronics. But i’ll give it one more try.

edit: had ECU bricked some 10years ago when car i had back then was in chiptuning (sw tuning). Got new ECU of course but learned that things can go wrong, Guy was respected and experienced tuner and said that this is really rare..

#61 OptimusPriustus, Jul 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2023
    ukulelegeek likes this.
  2. LiAiGuo

LiAiGuo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just had my head gasket replacement done by Tampa Hybrids. Very good job I thought and I am picky. Shipped it down from PA and drove it back. Over 50 mpg all the way. They not only did the head gasket but other related/ preventative service as well. Such as changing the PCV valve, using a better quality head gasket etc.

Tampa Hybrid also cleaned the EGR circuit and cooler as part of the head gasket replacement.

#62 LiAiGuo, Jul 7, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2023
    Merkey, ukulelegeek and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. LiAiGuo

LiAiGuo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After changing the lower control arms with new ball joints, the inner and outer tie rod ends, the struts (all around) and had it aliened and it was suggested that I have ecentric bolts installed to help with it wandering to the left. Well, I wondering if it would actually do anything to improve the steering. It really didn't do much . I then heard about something about the steering damper in the Electric steering system. They called it a "snowflake". I wanted to know more about it but couldn't find much about it. Is there a replacement procedure out there for me to get information on how to replace it?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I believe this is crucial, to prevent another blown head gasket in short order. (y)

ukulelegeek likes this.
  5. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have to ask: How 'short order'?(n)

Mine is hanging in there at 130k miles and has not had any 'off the book' preventive maintenance, such as 'total cleaning of the EGR system'.
    I wonder how long my head gasket will last if I just "Follow the Book"?

In fact it just got its first front brake pads and discs replaced, I believe. I saw the toyota logo painted green backs of the pads.
    Surprisingly, the caliper slider pins were free to move with finger pressure!
    All good at 13yrs / 130k miles! Now it has new discs and pads up front and I ordered rear pads and discs to even things out, reset the Brake Clock!
    There was no noise maker on these pads, and I'm a slacker, and didn't inspect them until I heard the 'metal on metal'.
    This was a nice in that I could hear the metal only after the regen maxxed out on the display!
    Gotta love Blended Brakes.
    Did you know Tesla does not have that technology? Their brake pedal is just an old school brake pedal.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Another 20~40K?

ukulelegeek likes this.
  7. LiAiGuo

LiAiGuo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I changed my brakes whether they needed it or not at 130k. I now have 242k on the gen 3.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  8. LiAiGuo

LiAiGuo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Changed them 2x.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  9. FrankB

FrankB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've driven both a Prius and a Model 3. I much prefer the one foot driving capability which removes the usefulness of blended brakes.

bisco likes this.
  10. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It seems once you get used to it, a lot of owners do.
    But some don't, and just want to drive like in a normal car still, and get all the Regen they are due.

You can't do that in a Tesla product.
    (well you can set regen to low, but then you lose a lot of regen power and use the friction brakes more.)

You are given that choice in other EV's.(y) OPD or the advanced tech of Blended Brakes.

OK, I'll take that challenge!;)

I'm at 130k now, so at 150 - 170k my head gasket will start leaking into cylinders 1 or 2.
    Great design toyota. Great faith in their product Mendel.

Is it okay if I disconnect the EGR valve for some of that time to test how the car reacts to not having any flow in the EGR system?
    I can see if it drastically effect MPG. We know the flow to the cylinders will be even, and yet you said "No EGR will destroy your engine".
    I think you were joking, or being over dramatic. How can a no EGR kill an engine when it will compensate for it and, as I keep beating this drum,,, Prii in Brazil have not EGR circuit to begin with, like many other toyota products.(y)

Dang, what a car,,, No where is it officially recommended to do all this EGR work.:(

#70 Bill Norton, Jul 10, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2023
    ukulelegeek likes this.
  11. s11

s11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any recommendations in the Greater Toronto Area? 256 000 KM and had my first knock (and engine light) this AM.... Should mention I live in a condo complex where DIY car work is heavily frowned upon and I have zero mechanical ability whatsoever.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That 160K miles, very common time for head gasket to let go. I would check for codes, and suspect you'll see P0300 and P0301 or P0302 (misfire on cylinders one/two).

If that's the case, better focus on the head gasket first, then remedy the EGR clogging.

ukulelegeek and s11 like this.
  13. s11

s11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anything else I should be prepared for? Car has been very good to me - until this.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  14. s11

s11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Should have mentioned: 2015 model,no evidence of burning oil or coolant loss

ukulelegeek likes this.
  15. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I had luck with the silica based coolant sealant Blue Devil.
    This will buy you time.
    If you are not seeing coolant loss the leak is very small at this point.
    It worked for me for almost a year before I went back to the Rockies and while making a full throttle ascent it started to overheat again.
    And at that point (+220k miles) I didn't want to throw ~$2500 at my prius and ,,,,, sold it as is.
    It was running great at the time and I never had the 'start up knock' issue once during this Routine Gen3 Failure.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  16. s11

s11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    P0304 was the code that it threw FWIW.

After I got this issue sorted out curious what others here have paid to have the EGR etc. cleaned professionally?

17. ukulelegeek

ukulelegeek Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't think a bad EGR will kill the engine. But, I'd have the service done @ 100,000 miles, because each mechanic I've talked to said not doing it could ruin your head gasket.

18. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Did these techs say the reason was bc of the uneven distribution of EGR flow in the clogged up EGR passages in the intake manifold?
    Could you ask them how bad it would be to delete the EGR system? (Brazillian Pri don't have EGR)
    I'm about ready to try that at 130k miles. Will this save my head gasket from an early death?

Thanks toyota for this design flaw and not telling anyone how to avoid it, whether thru 'off the book' EGR system cleaning or Deleting the EGR system.

19. BobSavi

BobSavi New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wait till your 80 then talk.

20. BobSavi

BobSavi New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They only do Hybrid battery replacement.