1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Professional EGR Cleaning Resources

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mendel Leisk, Oct 5, 2022.

1. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well I'm at 70 now so I'll see in 10. I guess imagine I'll probably be still out here changing parts on my tractors my scooters in my cars I hope or I'll be dead possibly even with the slow walking that is starting to become more commonplace now still no problem lying on the ground and jacking up cars and changing parts I just can't jump up off the ground as fast as I used to I need one of those fancy creeper seat mech looking things.

2. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    2016 PriusV and 4th gen Prius has 3rd revision head gasket. They are all silver color. No longer any black coating like 2010 and 2nd revision in 2013. It eliminates problematic black coating disintegration from coolant and heat. Not sure if newest Felpro also has no more coating.

#82 johnHRP, Jul 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2023
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Car Care Nut alludes that this new head gasket is backward compatible. It’d be good to find its part no.

4. LiAiGuo

LiAiGuo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've heard that if the engine starts knocking at startup it could be from hydrolock or coolant leaking into the cylinders. Iny case, it was and to avoid having a rod or something going through the block side I bit the bullet and shipped it to Tampa Hybrids in Florida. Still cheaper than having it done locally. It was 630.00 (approx) for the shipping and plane trip than trusting the dealership.

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For head gasket replacement? Did they clean clean EGR too? Knowing them, likely yes. (y)

what was the miles btw?

6. LiAiGuo

LiAiGuo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    At that time it was at 245,000 approx. Now 250,000.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. LiAiGuo

LiAiGuo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They cleaned, checked and repaired it so that it ran like new. Very impressive.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @jerrymildred (PriusChat member) was working at Tampa; he mighta done the EGR clean.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. LiAiGuo

LiAiGuo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Jesus, I think.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. LiAiGuo

LiAiGuo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had an errand marker light bulb that had gotten loose in the headlight assembly. And they took it out. Which I appreciated.

11. LiAiGuo

LiAiGuo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think that Tampa Hybrids said that they used a Felpro gasket instead of a Toyota one. Something about the expansion was better tolerated with to felpro.

jerrymildred likes this.
  12. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It is true for the 2nd revision in 2013 Prius head gasket and felpro gasket is better on that respect. The 3rd revision without black coating in 2015 is far superior than the 2nd revision and possibly better than felpro too. The 2015 and 4th gen Prius has very low head gasket failure rate.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you know the part no for the revised Toyota head gasket (3rd gen). Toyota’s parts web site is a disaster, since a couple of months or more.

14. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's correct.

If you had it done very recently, I didn't do the cleaning, but might have done the remove and replace. They have a newer guy who's doing the actual cleaning. Now that I'm retired, I just come in once in a while to help when they get extra busy. (They are always busy.) There are seven full time employees who are all able to do EGR services and four who do head gaskets.

15. LiAiGuo

LiAiGuo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Whoever did the job made my car run like new. And I am a happy camper. Since the service I've put quite a few miles on it. Checking the oil and coolant levels and everything seems good. No grey goo appearing under the oil cap or elsewhere. I love this car.

jerrymildred and ASRDogman like this.
  16. LiAiGuo

LiAiGuo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Every now and then I've been adding some berrymans for the injectors. Which I'm thinking of changing. I've also saw online some methods of flushing or cleaning the carbon EVAP filter. Just wondering about whether or not that's worth doing. Also kinda concerned about carbon build up in the heat recovery part of the exhaust.

17. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Throw a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel. It will help keep the
    injector clear and clean. Certainly works for me.

18. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You guys and your Snake Oil.....:whistle:

My injectors are 'clear and clean' and all I do is burn gasoline. Certainly works for me and most Prius owners.

You know this snake oil only touches the insides of the injectors?

19. LiAiGuo

LiAiGuo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Cleans and helps to unclog more than just the injectors. It cleans electrical contacts in the fuel pump assembly that sends signals to the power control and other modules giving the computer accurate data. Which help it in it's overall performance. Also helps with the EVAP system by keeping it clean. I've noticed an perceptible improvement in milage and performance when I use it on occasion. I've used different types. BG's 44k, Berrymans Lucas and others. Some made more of a noticable difference over others. The Prius has a lot of sensors, like all modern cars, and I think that making sure that the sensors are working well helps the computer to make all sorts of adjustments in performance.

20. LiAiGuo

LiAiGuo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Gas from stations with low fuel in their tanks can cause crud and dirt to be pumped into customer's cars which over time clog injectors. The fuel station pumps are not the best at filtering the fuel pumped. And even inline filters that are part of the Prius fuel system will let dirt through. Especially if the car has a lot of miles on it.