1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Professional EGR Cleaning Resources

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mendel Leisk, Oct 5, 2022.

1. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Are you saying this updated SW is available for all Gen 3's?
    Is there a fee to have it installed?
    This sounds amazing! I'm in!
    Should I ask for that TSB and it covers the two SW loads?

2. OptimusPriustus

OptimusPriustus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here the cost was 84Eur. TSB id is european and i do not know what is U.S. equivalent, need to be found out. There is just one software (or set of parameters) and A4701000 is probably the control unit that is being re-programmed.

And yes, for all Prius with ZVW30 or ZVW40 engine and manufactured before October 2014. Note that i only have european TSB. But i presume same apply to U.S.

Bill Norton likes this.
  3. s11

s11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably doesnt help my 2015 any, but good to know! The 2015 does have the infamous prius knock every so often.

4. OptimusPriustus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update won’t make knocks go away. It’s about preventing headgasket failure in high mileage cars by re-programming the waterpump controller. Your car was manufactured after October 2014 so you have it already:)

s11 and Bill Norton like this.
  5. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Will this TSB number work on NA Prii? Or is it a different TSB number?
    Has it been talked about here?
    Has anyone had this TSB performed and posted the cost?

Thanks for any info you can give us!(y)

6. OptimusPriustus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TSB is issued by Toyota Europe. I do not know whether U.S, equivalent exist but i’d be surprised if it didn’t. You can always ask from dealership.

i don’t think this has been discussed here before. However, i did find some Priuschat (ECU swap?) discussions about calibration id’s and those very same id’s were mentioned. Somebody had 34717200 whereas somebody else had 34717500. But there were also many other id’s and the discussions participants were not sure what they were all about and for what function. For the sake of clarity, those 34717200 and 34717500 are waterpump calibration id’s (old and new). Toyota seems to have installed 11 different waterpump calibrations for europe market and with this TSB they are replaced by just 4. Numbers sound high, i guess they have tried to optimize fuel consumption for extreme cold climate, extreme hot climate and everything inbetween? Or some component changes in cooling system?

Just want to say that this TSB is literally about hedgasket failure. Whether it is effective is another thing. If cars manufactured after 10.2014 fail as much as the ones manufacturer before 10.2014 then maybe it’s not effective. Interestingly 200000km is mentioned. Isn’t that approximately the mileage where intake manifold start clogging?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If it's a 3rd gen, and it's got over 100K, and the EGR's never been cleaned, all this is just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

8. OptimusPriustus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, this is manufacturer adressing the problem. They built the ship.

Bill Norton and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, to be clear, those numbers aren't just water pump calibrations. They are the calibration numbers (read: release versions) of the firmware running on the engine control module. So what we know is that along between 34717200 and 34717500, they changed something in the ECM's strategy for controlling the water pump (along with whatever other changes they might have made in the ECM programming along the way).

In the US, we get similar (but not the same) calibration IDs. Here, a 2010 is likely to have a calibration ID starting with 34715. Mine is at 34715200. I have been meaning to get it updated for a while; 34715400 is recommended in the US T-SB-0041-15 for fixing an issue controlling the fuel vapor purge valve that sometimes leads to backfires blowing hoses off the intake manifold and damaging the valve.

And there's a US calibration 34715700 (not to be confused with your 34717500!) that has been mentioned in two different US TSBs that are about different things; T-SB-0103-12 recommends it, along with an intake manifold change, and T-SB-0027-16 also recommends it, along with an EGR valve change.

Neither of those two TSBs ever said exactly what they changed in that version of the ECM programming. Whatever they changed, it obviously doesn't depend on the updated EGR valve (because they would have you install it along with a manifold, but the old EGR valve), and it obviously doesn't depend on the updated manifold (because they would have you install it along with an EGR valve, but the old manifold). So they changed something in that version, something that doesn't depend on the manifold or EGR valve change, and something they haven't said a whole lot about. (I'm a little jealous, in fact, of how straight a story they tell in your European service bulletins.)

I should probably stop procrastinating and go get that update.

Note the calibration numbers are different for different model years; I've been mentioning the 2010 versions here. Others should be looked up in the mentioned TSBs.

#129 ChapmanF, Sep 21, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
  10. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks again for sharing all this info and your knowledge on this subject!
    Please let us know when you get answers on any applicable TSB's for your 2010.

Good point!
    Thanks again for sharing this info and your knowledge on this subject!

Look, this is the manufacturer trying to address this routine failure.
    At least they say so in the European TSB.

This is not some forum geeks claiming they know the cure.
    If every 100k mi the EGR is spotlessly cleaned is the cure,,, why isn't any of that mentioned in the official documentation?

Some say deleting EGR may be the cure.
    This is going with the theory that unequal flow of EGR gasses in the intake "makes the Head Gasket Fail".

JohnPrius3005 likes this.
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, those TSB numbers are shown in my last post. They can be downloaded from TIS or NHTSA.

I mentioned the firmware calibration numbers that are in those TSBs for a 2010. For any other year of Gen 3, just look in the same TSBs to see what calibration numbers apply for that year.

Bill Norton likes this.
  12. OptimusPriustus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have to say i was also surprised to see they being so frank/direct. Headgasket may fail, waterpump need calibration. Uh, okay..

Btw, just today i got to see all the receipts. They had thrown in 5W30 Castrol what made me wonder. Until now they’ve always used 0W20 which is the spec. Would like to see what TSB Toyota Europe has for this:D Perhaps just human error. But it’s very reputable dealer and only sell&service Toyota.

Bill Norton likes this.
  13. bdc101

bdc101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I paid my machine shop to go at my EGR cooler, which came off a 262k mile car and had never been cleaned. They charged me $150 to do it! But it's clean and polished and looks brand new. (I live in a HCOL area so I'm not super surprised at the cost. Everything is inflated here)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    WOW...:eek:
    But how much are you going to pay to have the plastic intake manifold cleaned???
    That's the part that makes for uneven flow between the cylinders?

15. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could have bought a new one for that price. Or at least a used one and then
    clean it yourself.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. bdc101

bdc101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I already cleaned that myself, it took maybe 10 minutes?

If I had a crystal ball I probably wouldn't be buying old Priuses with blown head gaskets and fixing them up, either.

17. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That's awesome!
    What technique did you use?

The EGR passages are the important parts, the rest,,, meh...
    I've read some people struggle to get the crud out of those small ports.

18. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The site stalls and .........

19. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five

20. bdc101

bdc101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I used brake cleaner, towels and little pipe-cleaner brushes. We seem to have all these tools for cleaning out baby bottles around my house still, despite my kids being in grade school, so I steal them and my wife doesn't notice they are gone. We have quite the assortment. Honestly, the manifold wasn't as bad as I thought it would be compared to the EGR cooler.

They worked really well for the steel EGR tube as well, which was also pretty caked up. I haven't done the valve yet, that's the last thing on my list.

21. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I use brake cleaner (and brushes, rags, etc) on everything but the cooler. It's the first thing I get off, goes in the corner of the laundry sink, bottom corked, with a concentrated hot tap water solution of powdered Oxi-Clean Versatile Stain Remover. It's mildly caustic, starts bubbling up carbon. After an hour, drain-rinse-inspect-repeat. After about 5 sessions it's like-new clean, and by that time the rest of the stuff is done.