1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Programing Replacement FOB

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ritzy4runner, Nov 9, 2022.

1. Ritzy4runner

Ritzy4runner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So here is the dilemma. 2007 Prius 3 SRS key FOB (silver logo). One of the two
    FOBs died. The second was working fine but after a while it too started to not work. Batteries changed in both . FOB #2 worked for about 2 months. I then promptly quit. It will not do anything now unless you plug it into the slot. Car will start right up. Just don't have any of the "keyless" functions (door locks remote start etc.) Have to use the little metal key to unlock the doors. Here is the question:

Can you do the chicken dance using the old key fob that only w2orks when plugged into the slot? I do not want to have to go to Toyota and pay then almost $600 to get a fully functional FOB and then do an other checken dance to make a 2nd. Also, what is involved with Toyota removing previous assigned "keys" as some of these GEN 2 Prii will only let you make 3 or 4 replacvement keys before the memory has to have the old ones deleted. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Also I understand that you can not use a used FOB and reprogram it, is this true?
    Thanks guys and gals

2. lexidium

lexidium Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With regards to the last part of your question:
    When my old prius T spirit (2008) was written off, I kept one of the fobs. I bought another Prius T spirit, same year, and managed to reprogram the fob for the new one with techstream.
    You have to get the right inner for the fob. They are not all the same.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Theyres a sticker inside remote with codes and a series of numbers I'm pretty sure locksmith with this sticker can get it correct . My guy at all lock and key in Maine USA maybe able to tell you . He does my transponder keys for my Italian bikes . Which are rendered useless if you mess up the key lose the key Don't do several things correct The whole bike becomes unusable and needs $3,000 worth of electric parts made by companies you've never heard of like z a d i just seemingly cheap junk but I guess it's not it's just a pain to work with I know guys that have bike sitting around that will never move again they're strictly for parts or trash this guy was able to duplicate these things without problem with this machine that he has and what have you I don't know how it all works. And don't really care if I don't have a fob in it works by plugging it in the slot good enough I don't ever lock so I'm good.

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So, my understanding is that a SKS Gen2 Prius requires one FULLY functional fob in order to add a NEW fob -either with chicken dance or Techstream (or other capable scantool).

If you don't have a fully working fob, then you have to use Techstream (or capable scantool) to reset the smart key ecu with a "seed" code. Then new (or AFAIK, the correct used) fobs can be programmed to the car.

You would need the dealer, or a capable locksmith. Some here have their own Techstream and gotten the seed code from a (questionable) site in Europe.

That said, does the little red LED blink on when you press any button on either fob? Any chance the (new) battery is/are no good or in backward? (I've done both)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And the good/no good decision should be made by checking the battery voltage. It seems if the voltage is 2.9 V or less result will be unreliable to flat out will not work. It pays to check the voltage because even though you might have just purchased a 'new' battery does not mean it is good.

6. Ritzy4runner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to all who have added information that I can use moving forward (sounds like a Toyota commercial LoL)

7. Ritzy4runner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Once we get it back from the dealer (the CAT was stolen) we will pursue this further thanks