1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Programming a new key fob?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Arden, May 13, 2022.

1. Arden

Arden Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi everyone, I have a 2005 Toyota Prius and I have a quick question. My key fob is no longer working and I need to get a new one. If I buy a new key fob and take it to a locksmith to program, is there any risk that the programming process might cause any issues? As you know, the 2005 Prius is an old car and mine already has various small issues. I worry that anything that can potentially go wrong with my car will go wrong, and I just want to know if programming a new key fob is risky in anyway. Essentially I just don’t want to open another can of worms.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not that i have ever read. if your fob no longer works, what are your options?

there are lots of fob buying and programming threads here, might be worth searching.

3. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Make sure you buy a silver logo one that hasn’t ever been used. A lot of eBay sellers sell used ones or black logo models.
    ACE Hardware stores also sell them and program them.