1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Programming a new SKS key fob WITHOUT working radio frequency controller

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Confused Primate, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Confused Primate

Confused Primate New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    there seem to be many procedures posted to program a new key fob ('the chicken dance') using the old key fob, but I am unsure if the procedure will work for my situation:

- I have one partially functioning copy of the original factory SKS key fob.
    - The radio frequency controller is no longer functioning, but the RFID chip still works.
    - I have to use the mechanical key to get into the car and insert the fob into the slot to start the car.
    - I have tried replacing the battery, but the radio frequency controller still does not work.

I would like to replace purchase a new SKS key fob and program it myself. Should the procedure work without the radio frequency controller? In other words, does the programming function gather all the information that it needs to program a fully functional SKS key from the RFID chip or does it need a functional radio frequency controller?

Thanks,

A confused primate

2. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    be careful what steps you follow, I erased my master fob by mistake and according to the dealer it cant be recovered.. they want $250 to reprogram the SKS system so Im living without it..

I have the e bay version of tech stream but not sure how to use it for "reseeding" the system and I don't want to make things a worse and have a car that is unusable..

my dealer said if I hadn't erased the master it would be 1/2 hour labor fee to program an extra fob so about $60 bucks, they cant reprogram used fobs from other cars for SKS just basic function.

3. casterland

casterland Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Did you find a solution to this? I'm in a similar situation.

4. Ryan Thomas

Ryan Thomas New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I've lost all keys. Any idea on how to program a new key fob? Do I have to go to the dealer?

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, without at least one working key fob, you are SOL.
    Yes, you need to visit the dealer or a suitably credentialed auto locksmith.

Unfortunately, this is going to be expensive.