1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Programming a non smartkey fob for Prius with SKS

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Bluesman78, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Bluesman78

Bluesman78 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi forgive the dumb question here. I bought a used 2006 prius which has smart key function.

I want to buy a backup keyfob that I only want to use to start the car.

Can I buy the cheaper (non smart-key) fob from Ebay and program it with the chicken dance as I do not care about smart key functions for this key or even this car at all.

Replacement Remote Key Fob for 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 Toyota Prius | eBay

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes. But the non-SKS keyfob will only work in the keyslot. The buttons will not lock/unlock the door. You'll have to use a mechanical key to lock/unlock the doors.

You really want to have a second fully programmed SKS key in case the first one is lost. Lose the last SKS key and you're talking hundreds ($500+) to get a replacement. Maybe less at a locksmith like PopALock if you can find one.

SFO likes this.
  3. Bluesman78

Bluesman78 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I want this to keep in my car in case i lose my keys while I'm out. So this is sufficient. I have a lockbox with the mechanical key under the car.

My local locksmith wanted $200 for a new key if all keys are lost. I think competitive forces have dropped the price on that.

RobH likes this.
  4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just for grins, you might ask your Toyota dealer for their price.

5. Bluesman78

Bluesman78 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would, but honestly i have a hard time getting any quote from them. its either someone clueless answering the phone or someone who just doesn't want to give prices on the phone. I always hate calling dealers for quotes...

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I could be wrong on this but my understanding is if you lose that last remaining SKS FOB, the non-SKS your considering won't work for pairing a new SKS FOB via the chicken dance method so a locksmith or dealer would be your only option if you want a fully functional FOB.

I got an extra, new SKS FOB from Amazon for about $100 and using one of the originals paired it via the chicken dance.

7. Adam Evans

Adam Evans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just want to bump this and see if anyone has had issues programming a non-sks key for a sks prius. We have a 2006 Prius with SKS and I dropped my fob in the lake while fishing : / . Dealer wants $158 for the fob plus $45 to program it. I read somewhere, but can't find it, that having one non-sks and mess up the existing SKS key somehow? Just wondering if that is true or not. I'll probably just cave and have them do it.