1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Programming error/failure for garage door opener

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Micky Lee, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Micky Lee

Micky Lee New Member

I anxiously tried to program my brand new homelink rearview mirror for my rotating code garage door opener, and nothing works.

When I pressed the opener's learning mode button, it began to flash slowly. I then went to the car, slowly and deliberately pressed the chosen button twice and then a third time. Each time I pressed it, the light on the viewer went on solid red. It never programmed. Doesn't work. Nada!

Has anyone had a similar experience? do you know a solution? The programming instructions seem quite straightforward, but you never know.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My Prius came from the factory with Homelink. The first time it programmed the way it should.

After the car conked on me and they did the TSB for reprogramming, I lost my Homelink stored codes and had to reprogram. It refused to accept new programming.

Try erasing the car Homelink. I had to press the inner and outer buttons on mine for almost 2 mins before the indicator flashed to indicate it was erased.

Then take the remote for your garage door opener and follow the instructions as indicated. I found that I needed fresh batteries for my hobby farm garage door opener, and also for the condo security door. Homelink doesn't kid when they recommend brand new batteries for programming.

Once you add your opener to the Prius Homelink (It will accept 3 openers) you then do the Learn on the opener while cycling the Prius Homelink button. It should be in the owner manual too. Or try:

http://www.homelink.com/home/faq.tml

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Yes, do try erasing the homelink mirror first, in case it has bad data in it.

Make sure you follow BOTH instructions for programming. First, you program the homelink mirror so it knows what garage door opener remote you have: Frequency and code method.

Then you can program your garage door opener to accept the homelink as an extra remote.

4. Micky Lee

Micky Lee New Member

Thank you both for your suggestions. I'm going to get brand new batteries, erase any existing programming, and then do both steps for the rolling code type. I wasn't sure if the first step was required for the rolling code. The homelink site verified that both steps are required.

I'll keep you posted.

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Micky Lee\";p=\"70854)</div>
    I made that mistake :oops: as well. The little blue cloud of sware words are still hovering over our house. We I followed the directions exactly step by step it worked fine. Get some one to help you with the pushing the button on the door opener it is much easier that way. :mrgreen:

6. raf

raf Junior Member

It seemed to help a lot when I put the car into IG-ON mode, instead of just ACC.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    ? If I recall I had mine completely powered down while programming.

8. Micky Lee

Micky Lee New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"71140)</div>
    I think that's not possible. The homelink mirror has to have power.

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Homelink mirror *always* has power. You can get into the car with it completely powered down, press the appropriate programmed opener button, and the garage door will open.

10. Micky Lee

Micky Lee New Member

Thank. I'll check that out.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  12. Huck

Huck New Member

The Homelink people informed me that certain garage door openers will not work with Homelink. Period. This inludes mine, from a company called Quantum, circa 2000.

13. Micky Lee

Micky Lee New Member

I am happy to report that once I did exactly what they said, I was able to program both garage doors. The new batteries were necessary - and ludicrous. The second the Prius was programmed, I realized I no longer needed the brand new batteries.

One door was the rotating code type. The other wasn't.

I noticed that I have to press and hold the homelink button longer than I expected. But, it works, and I'm a happy camper.

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeah I really couldn't understand why I needed fresh batteries in my opener remote, even though the remote was only 6 months old. But if you roll your eyes and just follow the instructions, it usually works.

It's essential to completely erase/flush the Prius Homelink memory before proceeding the first time. Otherwise you'll be chasing dead ends.

15. raf

raf Junior Member

I had trouble doing the programming at first. It seemed to help to have the Prius in IG-ON state. It's also important to follow the instructions carefully. When you press the button on the remote, you should see the light on the mirror respond. I had to go through the entire procedure for rolling code. There is some good advice on the Homelink web site.