1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

programming Gen 3 used smart key from original

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Razor68, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Razor68

Razor68 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    apologies if this has already been covered. this year I lost our spare smartkey for our 2010 Prius. aside from the initial inconvenience of going home via public transport to pick up our other key we have survived so far with just the 1 key. BUT - I am very conscious that should we lose this one it will be an issue and expensive. I bought a used original Toyota gen 3 smartkey on Ebay and also a diagnostic lead but sadly it did not include the software disc. I believe the software is available free on the internet somewhere but not sure where. also I recall comments about the software being a pig to set up on 64 bit laptops. any help / advice on the easiest solution to this?
    cheers
    Ray

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Others can help more with the software.

Double-check the listing where you bought the used fob to be sure it is "revirginized" ... that is, it doesn't still have the vehicle ID of the old car it was paired with still stored in it. Otherwise, even with the software, you won't be able to pair it with your car.

There are eBay sellers listing Gen 3 fobs they explicitly say are revirginized in the listing. Last I checked, those tended to be going around $80. If you spent much less than that, you might have a used fob that won't work as is.

If you have bought a used, but not revirginized, fob, some of those same eBay sellers list a service to just revirginize an existing fob for you, typically around $20 or so.

-Chap

Johnny Cakes, amos and m.wynn like this.