1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Programming key and weekend stuff

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Sep 7, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    REPLACEMENT KEY

First I want to acknowledge the source:

Programming New Keys

Lesson learned, look at the driver side door frame, adjacent to the seat back and locate the rubber covered button that indicates the door is closed. You'll need this but I had a little ... trouble:

1. Quickly turn the key from "LOCK" to "ON" 5 times, ends on "LOCK".
    2. Open and close door 6 times quickly, ends with door closed.
    3. Remove working key and insert new key.
    4. Turn key to "ON" position and leave it there for 1 minute (blinking security light on radio stops.)
    It didn't work the first few times so I repeated the steps and eventually got the timing right and the security light went out. Great! Then I tried to start the car . . . no joy!

I turned the car off and the blinking light did not come on. I tried to start the car with the original key, no joy. "Uh Oh!"

Well I had other chores and figured I'd work the problem when I got home. About four hours later, I got home and the blinking security light was on. I tried the new key and it worked!

I have no idea why it took awhile for the security light to come back on. However, now I've got a second key, programmed and ready to run. I'd bought the key blank on Ebay, $10 + $5 postage.

Getting the key cut turned out to be harder than expected on a Saturday. Lowels refused to cut my blank key claiming they were afraid of 'risk if the car does not start.' I visited three keysmith shops but they were all closed for the weekend. I tried an autoparts store but they don't cut keys but recommended WalMart.

Now WalMart was a trip. The older clerk wanted to lecture me about Prius keys and didn't seem to hear anything I said . . . selective audio accuity. But the younger clerk went ahead and cut the key . . . success! But they would not take any money for it . . . not even a tip for the clerk. The key mechanical part is a perfect copy.

REMOTE ENTRY FOB

Step 1, replace the CR2016 battery. Without a strong battery, programming won't work. Fortunately, programming the keyfob only requires a master key so I used the new one:

1. Open drivers door and all others closed
    2. In 5 seconds: insert key and remove twice
    3. In 40 seconds: close and open driver door twice (use button)
    4. Insert key and remove
    5. In 40 seconds: close and open driver door twice (use button)
    6. Insert key and leave in ignition
    7. Close driver door
    8. Turn ignition ON and then back to "LOCK" and remove key
    9. POWER doors lock and unlock indicating 'program mode' (or repeat steps 1-8 until they do)
    10. In 40 seconds: press LOCK and UNLOCK buttons together for 1.5 seconds
    11. press LOCK button for 2 seconds
    12. POWER door locks operate once, success!
    13. POWER door locks operate twice, opps, repeat step 10 and 11
    So now I have a backup key and keyfob. Total cost, $35 including the CR2016 cell.

TRANSAXLE OIL CHANGE

Fairly straight forward. As it drained, it looks clear but once I got the sample, it looks cloudy but not opaque. It still smells of oil, not the paraffin smell from my first change. I'll send it to the lab.

The gunk on the bottom of the pan was the normal detritus with little chunks of sealant. There was a thin layer of fine, very fine, dark gray sludge. Sad to say, I'd forgotten to put the magnet in on the last change but I found where I'd stored it and put it back in. No doubt it will show up in the oil test results.

I'm convienced the floating material is more like a smoke than anything else. I suspect an electrostatic field could charge the material and deposit it on the pan. The challenge is how to get a couple of DC kilovolts into a point electrode array inside the pan.

ENGINE OIL CHANGE

Nothing remarkable other than the oil has a slight gasoline odor. This has me scratchin' my head but not enough to worry much about it. I know the ICE reaches operating temperature on every drive.

Bob Wilson

stella47 and freidawg like this.
  2. freidawg

freidawg Prius Recycler

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thats a very helpful tidbit on the key programming.

Thanks!

Eric

3. thephoenix

thephoenix New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thank you thank you thank you!!! I am very new to prius chat and posted a question asking if anyone had any info about reprogramming the key fob for a 2001 Prius. I did not know there was a Gen I specific forum. I had posted my request in a very general forum. But now I have my answer thank you very much!

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    All right, I've avoided telling this story for a while, but I can't any longer.

I wanted an extra key so I online-ordered the blank for $13 or so and then programmed it in the car before taking it to be cut. That takes a slightly modified procedure at the step "insert new key and turn ON" because it won't turn yet. Instead, I just left the old key in the switch, but covered it with a little patch torn off my tinfoil hat, held the new key near it, and turned the old key on for 1 minute.

That gave me an already-programmed key blank that just needed to be mechanically cut.

Now of course the whole security model with our G1 keys is based on the claim that the chips in all of the keyblanks are unique and can't be duplicated.

Equally of course, that claim is complete rot, you can find not-yet-coded keyblanks on line without much trouble, all ready to be burned by a cloning box into exact duplicates of any existing key. I've also seen the cloning boxes themselves on line, and you wouldn't even have to be a very successful theft ring to be able to afford one. :ph34r:

But most disconcerting of all, my local Ace hardware had one sitting right at their key cutting desk. So the guy didn't give me any lecture about the risk of not starting the car, he just takes my old key and new blank, sticks them chips-down into the From and To slots of his cloner, and is about to push the button when I say "Aack!! You won't have to do that, I already programmed it." (While thinking to myself, c'mon, please at least let me cling to the comforting illusion that the whole programming procedure I just went through has any security purpose at all....)

So he just mechanically cut the key, I paid 'em two bucks, stuck the new key in the car and drove away. :/

I guess the one surviving security purpose of the original programming dance is that if I start with a set of differently-coded keys, if I suspect one of them has been borrowed and cloned into 20 copies, I can at least tell the car to drop that code and then they won't work.

-Chap