1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Programming the Smart Key

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mhl0125, Mar 13, 2010.

1. amati5

amati5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  2. David Bellin

David Bellin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    3prongpaul has it right;
    Just did this on a new 2015 genIII only 3 weeks from purchase: with an eBay clean used fob, latest version TIS, and the china VCI cable.
    took just a few minutes, all perfect, now we have a third fob "just in case". (and of course, no backup beeping).
    Any locals in the Chapel Hill NC area who want assistance can direct message me. thanks all!

3. jbroox

jbroox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does anybody know anyone in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area who can program key fobs for a gen3 Prius at a reasonable price?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! have you called any lock smithy's?

5. jbroox

jbroox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, but haven't found anyone who has the equipment to be able to do it.

6. eels

eels New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I've been getting inconsistent answers from several Toyota service shops about what is needed to re-key a 2012 prius c, trim 4.
    Some shops say the car recognizes a different code for each key, other shops say all the keys for one car use the same code.
    Which is true?

Some shops have told me the only way to keep the car from unlocking for a stolen key is to wipe the whole system and start all new keys from scratch. Other shops have told me the stolen key can be wiped out of the car's memory without effecting the key that was not stolen.
    Please tell me which of these is true?

Thank you

p.s.
    After this first question is settled, the second thing would be to add a spare key.
    This is the end result I would want to achieve;
    1) the missing (stolen) key can no longer start the car
    2) the key that wasn't stolen remains unchanged
    3) add a key so that I end up with 2

7. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Eels, each smartkey is unique once paired to a car. The proper way to delete smartkeys is to use Techstreams built in function to "erase all keys" except the one you have. This prevents the Fob thief from starting your car, although they could still open the door with the mechanical key. I do this erase procedure all the time for people who lose a fob.

You then have to add aka "register" any other fobs you want programmed to the car using Techstream. If the replacement fob is brand new or has been virginized/reset you can do it with regular Techstream, no locksmith credentials or seedcode needed. Where in California are you? I might be able to refer you to an independent shop that can do this for you.

Also, Jbroox, did you ever find someone in Grand Rapids? I know someone there with Techstream if you still need help.

Danny3xd and m.wynn like this.
  8. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Went to a Hartford dealer to ask my '05 fob be reallocated for my 2010. They told me it was impossible and that I needed to buy a new one for the low, low price of $238.

Any one know where in CT I could check?

9. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct, 2005 (gen2) fobs will not work with 2010 (gen3) cars. Completely different system.

Sell the 05 Fob on Ebay, then buy a "virgin" or "reset" G3 fob on Ebay and then anyone with Techstream can easily program it to the car. If you are computer savvy you can get a Mini-VCI setup (Techstream clone) and program it yourself.

You could also call around for a local AUTOMOTIVE LOCKSMITH and see how much they will charge for a G3 fob with programming or programming only if you supply the fob.

Danny3xd likes this.
  10. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very cool and thanks, 3P!

11. Aleksandra

Aleksandra New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello! I live in Raleigh and I need your assistance!

12. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wondering if there has been any updates on code generation, or if the online code services/eBay key reset services are still the best option?

I feel like if the code is generated based on VIN, Techstream version, and seed code, then should be a generator available by now that takes in that info and calculates the pass code. But I haven't found anything yet, other than a couple paid online services and eBay reset services.

13. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  14. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  15. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    search key fob chicken dance or non virginized etc.

I forget the exact process but I think the fob has to be virginized first in most cases.

the worst if not having at least one usable fob ....

16. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No chicken dance for gen 3, that was for previous gens, or at least for gen 2.

Yes, gen 3 smart keys have to be virginized if used, then programmed through Techstream.

I have a working key already, just wanted to add a Lexus Smart Access Card Key (yes, I bought one that has a matching FCC ID to my working key). I bought a used one off of eBay, and need to virginize it. Just looking at my options for virginizing it currently. I have Techstream, so I should be able to program it once I virginize it.

17. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This info is correct as of March 2022. For G3 you have a few ways to add a Smartkey to your car. None can be done by chicken dance, you need a programming tool.

1) Buy a virginized (sometimes called "reset") smartkey on Ebay simply register (add) it with Techstream or other high end automotive scantool. No seed code required.

2) Reset your used smartkey then do step #1. Most auto locksmiths can reset Toyota G3 fobs with Xhorse Key Max tool or similar.

3) Reset the smartkey ECU on the car using seed/passcode approach and Techstream. Then re-register all your fobs, even if they are not virginized. I've been purchasing passcodes from these guys lately; PinOnline Software Just make sure you REGISTER your fobs within 10 presses of the cars START button after car is reset. If not, there's a chance you'll brick the car.
    BTW, PIN-online.net PINS can also also be used to generate Techstream activation codes so you can activate the latest Techstream version on your laptop without buying a license from Toyota.

4) Just pay an auto locksmith to do it. We charge $75 to cut and program a customer supplied fob. We often use our Autel IM608 immobilizer tool and Xhorse Condor key cutting machine. These tools cost thousands of dollars so if an auto locksmith will do it for $75 it's a fair price to have it done in 20-30 minutes. If you have a working Techstream setup then option 3 is probably the best route to take, but getting Techstream installed and working properly takes a newbie a few hours of research and futzing around.

jakolp and vvillovv like this.
  18. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So they actually let you download the calculator on that website. The catch is that it won't calculate the pass code unless you have their little USB dongle connected
    [​IMG]

All the websites I found offering the calculator actually require the dongle.

If someone was able to get a hold of the contents of the USB dongle and dump the files, we might be able to either create our own dongles with any USB drive, or even by mounting the files as a virtual drive. Might have already been done, but I haven't figured out what to Google, as "Toyota key pass code dongle" isn't really going to provide useful results

19. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So.. I spent the last few days on this after losing my only key. Long story short, don't press the power on/off more than 10 times if you didn't fully register a key because the battery was dead, so when you go to the step of placing it in the passenger seat, there is no beep and no registration.

I was in a hurry, so I grabbed a 3-button Lexus remote from a gs430 and a 3-button from an old prius we had (Toyota family, can you tell?). Mind you, I didn't know my old key FCC ID. Another interesting fact, out of the three obd2 devices I always carry in my Prius.... the mini low cost worked the... well worked. I hadn't used the nano in a while, and the firmware just wouldn't update, and the openport actually got to the register key process, but I thought it was having an issue and was why I couldn't get past the prius being a brick part for a few days. heh.. all to put the car in neutral!

Also, non-virgin key fobs didn't matter about fcc id for whatever reason on my plug-in. Now to find a Lexus credit card style and a prius prime key to add, maybe two primes with the 4th ACC button.
    20220822_194643.jpg

20. Bduggs

Bduggs New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I am looking to perform this would you be willing to offer me some assistance in understanding exactly what I need to do?
    From what I understand I need the following materials:
    Mini VCI with Techstream
    Replacement Key Specific to 2008 Prius Base Model (unsure how to find this info without the original key)
    Seed Code

Then I need to perform a bunch of steps that I am looking for guidance on.

Appreciate the help if you have any. I am unsure if there is someone local in Indianapolis who would be able to help me either.