1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Project: Add Dynamic Radar Cruise Control

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by galileofigaro, Nov 15, 2018.

1. galileofigaro

galileofigaro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    III
    Can you add Dynamic Radar Cruise Control to a 2015 Prius Plug in?
    I mean installing the radar, replacing the steering wheel control switch and connecting special cables and switches.
    We are talking about a $1500 project, at least, but is this feasible?
    Thanks to all!

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It seems theoretically possible to me, but it would be a massive undertaking and probably really expensive even as a diy project. I'll wait eagerly to see if some intrepid soul has blazed that trail yet. ;)

3. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You could add these things, but what do you connect them to? You need to start by finding out what makes the decisions and issues orders to the drive train. Do these parts talk to each other via the CANBUS? If so, how do they physically tie in? Oh, and it's $500 for the radar transparent hood badge. You could use a piece of lexan instead if you don't mind losing the logo.

4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I remember older cars having all the plugs in the wiring harness and all you had to do was plug in what you wanted. I don't think it has bee that way for a long time.
    Like was mentioned all the modules in the car talk to one another and my guess is there would have to be some new programming done to make it work.

5. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    For something like a light or a radio, that worked fine, and mostly still should.

I assume he is hoping that the programming is already in there somewhere and that all he has to do is find it and tell it "Giddyup". This might be the case, he needs to research it.

jerrymildred and padroo like this.