1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Project: Angry Panda

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by RightOnTime, Sep 8, 2014.

1. adizon

adizon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    not too bad. Three weeks can go by pretty fast sometimes. Are they pretty costly? Was this sourced through Yahoo auctions jp?

2. RightOnTime

RightOnTime Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In order to move forward, I decided to review what the wonderful Japanese Engineers did to modify and improve a stock Toyota Japanese Prius vs a Toyota Prius G's developed by Gazoo racing in Japan :cautious:

4.jpg

In addition to the 18inch allow wheels and a lower stance, which includes a different spring rate - The highlighted numbers represent the modifications of the Prius G's in relation to a stock Japanese Toyota

It was just amazing to notice that the US version comes with most of the add-ons except for the complete bar for #3 All this could be due to the stricter regulations that the EPA has.

1 Front suspension member front end brace

2 Stabilizer bracket large monolithic structure

3 Floor center brace

4 Locker flange spot welding point added

5 Rear bumper reinforcement

Why was the TRD lower Sway Bar not added to this modified Prius? o_Oo_O and is only offered as an add-on in the US version. Hmmm

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  3. Ramtart

Ramtart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey there, love your project! 15 years ago while I was in college, I took my first gen Honda CRX and participated in Local SCCA Solo 2/Time Attack events. Your project makes me want to take my Blizzard a Pearl back to the track too hehe.

When you initially had the Coilovers installed, how low did you go in the front and how low in the back?

Also, after several trials at the track, which height and dampening level did you find the most success with? Conversely, what is preferred drop height and dampening # for your daily driving?

Thanks again!
    Ram

4. RightOnTime

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Thanks for the kind words(y)

I decided just for fun to take the Prius on the track, while my Integra Type R was down for a couple of months. After a couple of track days, everything just snow balled from there!

As for the ride height - the car sits at about 24 inches all around.
    Dampening :
    6 Front
    8 Rear

Ramtart likes this.
  5. Ramtart

Ramtart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Awesome! I'm going with Coilovers as well. Thanks for the info!

Are the dampening #s you provided your street use setup?

6. DP200248721

DP200248721 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    what all was needed to wire up the G's headlights, mine just arrived and i read something about a you making a wiring harness for them?

RightOnTime likes this.
  7. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just sent u a pm detailing the step & parts needed.

WE0H likes this.
  8. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Maybe you already covered the topic but I probably missed it.....

Do you disable the stability control on your Prius when you autocross? If not does it kick in constantly and get annoying aka slow you down by way of kicking in...

Thanks.

Am wondering as I just got done messing around for a few mins in an empty lot with a coating of snow and it's very hard to get aggressive as the stability (side to side) control kicks in and doesn't really allow you to get sideways.... Which is great for crappy weather but prob not so good for ultra aggressive auto crossing!

9. RightOnTime

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Good Question!

The first time i took the Prius to the Autocross the traction control was active. It was very interesting to feel how the traction control would activate during sharp turns and during hard acceleration:LOL:

It took another track session to realize that the traction control was useless on the track and thus needed to be disabled.

It has been over a year and a half of hard track days with the traction control being disabled without any issues:cautious::cautious: But the car is a different beast once disabled.

10. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    "BEAST"

I love it!! :sneaky:

11. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've been considering coilovers for my PiP (see below) but have been worried about the fact that the PiP has different spring rates in the back because our lithium ion battery is heavier than the standard Prius's nickel metal hydride battery. Have you noticed any softness in the rear end with the Tein coilovers on your PiP?

IMG_0790 cropped.jpg

12. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    coilovers is a waste on money for their purpose, the vehicle was designed properly for the weight distribution

13. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Even if I want some lowering but with springs only (like TRD's own) there's still the problem with the different spring rates in the rear. I haven't managed to find any suspension product that is made specifically for the Plug-in, and none of the manufacturers have even recognized the situation. The nearest I've seen was Tanabe fitting a set of their coilovers and saying, "see, they fit", but saying nothing about spring rates. Fitting is one thing; working properly is another. When I raised the issue with Tanabe, the guy I spoke to said the factory will have to do some testing with the Plug-in, but I've heard nothing since.

:)

14. RightOnTime

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Very good question!

The PiP does have different spring rates, but not enough to notice any softness in the rear. To further alleviate any issues with the ride quality, the car was also corner balanced to keep the even distribution of weight.

15. RightOnTime

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hahahaha! "To each his own!"

Take a trip to Japan - you will be amazed to see some of the Mods that are done to our cars! Remember, Japan is the birthplace of the Prius:love: It all starts and ends there!

16. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, that's good to know. And thanks for mentioning corner balancing. Other than a full alignment, is there anything else that needs to be done after installing coilovers (besides playing with ride height, damper settings etc.)?

And are coilovers part of the G's lineup for the Prius? I don't read Japanese but I do see a photo of a coilover.

17. Jay J

Jay J Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Roger how'd you turn off the TCS without the pedal dance :p?

18. RightOnTime

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

The tricky part may be the damper setting - which is different for each driver's preference on how they would like the car to handle over bumps in addition to the ride quality.

Coilovers are not part of the G's lineup, but the good people from Toyota of Japan did create an exclusive shock and spring setup for the car.

1.jpg

2.jpg

I do not know the specs, but i can bet you that these shocks and springs are tuned specifically for the Prius G Sports!

#98 RightOnTime, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
  19. RightOnTime

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yup! The chicken dance every time! They do sell an aftermarket part that plugs into your obd port to disable that function - but the going cost is about $600 :eek::eek::eek: So i will just stick with the dance!

The car does act like a different beast :D with the TCS disabled!

Burna J likes this.
  20. Jay J

Jay J Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Roger I'm not sure if this would tickle your fancy or not, but Koni just released an adjustable dampening shock for the 3rd Gen Prius.

RightOnTime likes this.