1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Project lithium 2013 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by johnerh, Oct 23, 2022.

1. johnerh

johnerh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    IMG_4144.jpg

I installed the project lithium modules into my car, and it seems to be driving rather well. Rough driving will generally yield around 45 miles per gallon where it was previously revealed about 30 miles per gallon.

I noticed that my internal resistance was high, around 15 in module number five with nickel plated busbars.

I removed the nickel plated busbars and cleaned the original copper and reinstalled them.

Now my internal resistance is less than three units difference along all 14 modules.

However, I still see that block number five is sitting rather low in the voltage meter. It does move here and there, but it generally just stays there at the bottom. Is this normal or do I have a bad module?

mjoo and nicoj36 like this.
  2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If the lowest and or highest voltage is within .30 volts to other cells you’ll be fine. Just Make sure the charge temp cut off is set to no lower than 32F degree. Look up lifepo4 low temp cut off and you’ll be up to speed.

3. johnerh

johnerh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I really do not know how to set the charge temperature cut off. Care to enlighten me?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you mentioned this to jack?

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Key data point here is second down on the left "voltage diff" which indicates everything is working normally... The real time graphics in Dr. Prius app is designed to exaggerate even the tiniest differences between blocks in order to make diagnosis easier. As long as you're always in the 0.1v to 0.3v range of voltage difference than all is well with your pack.

And it's cool that you were able to detect a slight measurable difference in cleaning corrosion and switching back to copper bus bars. That's impressive. Many on here over the years have argued that the efforts you made wouldn't make a difference.

#5 PriusCamper, Oct 24, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
    johnerh likes this.
  6. johnerh

johnerh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey :) thanks for replying to my thread. Honestly, I’m kind of new to this stuff and I am just trying to cover all bases. If it looks good to you then I’m convinced. Thanks! And as far as the copper busbars go, they did have significant corrosion, so I gave them a vinegar and salt bath before rinsing them in a solution of water and baking soda. This was after using 1000 grit sandpaper to clean the sides and most of the edges.

PriusCamper likes this.
  7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know where the charge temp cut off setting is, but I'd like to learn more? The issue of course is that Lithium doesn't do well in super extreme cold temps. But that's true of all batteries and supposedly the hybrid battery ECU has a low temp charging cut off but have not been able to find any references. As for the fear these packs would be bad in cold weather, I've a prototype pack that's 2 years old that was specifically for winter testing and it worked fine as much as 20 degrees below freezing. What's more scientists who use sensitive instruments to measure glaciers use LiFePo4 batteries, because despite issues with lithium charging issues below freezing, it's still the best, most advanced option compared to other battery chemistry.

johnerh likes this.
  8. johnerh

johnerh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for this! It doesn’t seem like anything I’d have much control over though. I don’t think I have to worry about that all that much, since I live in Southern California. It’s never gonna get that cold here.

PriusCamper likes this.
  9. johnerh

johnerh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    IMG_4492.jpg
    Really liking the new lithium but I’m a bit underwhelmed by the fuel economy. I was sure I’d get upwards of 52 mpg but i guess i need to work on my driving habits a bit more. I’m averaging about 45 but if i really try then i can get over 50

10. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The fuel economy is more apparent on Gen2 Prius because the gas and electric motors are smaller and have significantly less peak power. Read up on Pulse & Glide driving technique, that could help you... Of course once you master that peak MPG is all about tire pressure, gas quality, weather and road conditions.

johnerh likes this.
  11. johnerh

johnerh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Definitely! I’m trying to work on my driving habits to achieve the peak mpg, but the lithium has definitely helped and has increased my mpg by around 10 to 15 miles per gallon easily. My previous mpg could be on the low end of 25 miles per gallon, but now I get no lower than around 35 to 38, and that’s on a really bad day. Thanks for providing a quality product :) and thank you for being active in the Prius community

12. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    95% remaining tire tread up above 45psi with California's best gas of the season on a 75 degree day on newly paved roads slightly slower than a freeway speed with no traffic will get your MPG super high... Of course once you're upper 40's low 50's in MPG there's way too many variables that it's hard to replicate consistently.

johnerh likes this.
  13. johnerh

johnerh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I can’t remember if my tires are supposed to be 40 psi or 44 psi, but I will check when I get home from work. I did rotate my tires this morning, because the newer ones were in the front. I read somewhere that mpg is better with the lower tread on the front… Is that correct? I don’t know a whole lot about cars or Prii for that matter, but when an issue arises. I study it and try to do my best. The correct torque for Lugnuts is 76 foot pounds, correct? Really liking that $12 harbor freight 1/2 inch torque wrench.

14. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check the door sticker, pressures are 36psi in the front, 32 rear.
    Everyone has a different pressure though.

Newer tires in front is the safest. They pull and steer the car.
    If you are gentle on the throttle, the mpg will improve.

15. johnerh

johnerh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oh and btw I should also mention that my daily commute has a lot of random stops and LOTS of stoplights and traffic. So yeah… the EV mode deletes quickly at no fault of its own.

16. johnerh

johnerh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My tires are the Bridgestone Ecopia 422 Plus. Supposed to be ok for gas mileage but next time I’ll get the Michelin defenders.

The sidewalls have the PSI listed. I’ll probably do that as a final errand before my evening ends.

And yeah, I try to be gentle on my throttle, but sometimes you just got a get going. I find myself accidentally going into the power bar beyond the eco bar quite often.

17. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's what I got. I had forgotten that firestone tires wear on the edges.
    Good on fuel mileage, not super loud, but the tread is about gone on the edges,
    and plenty in the middle. Only 50,000 miles on them.
    I even inflated them to 40psi hoping to make them last longer.

They were "on sale" for $80. It was hard to pass up. Stupid mistake.

johnerh likes this.
  18. johnerh

johnerh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have learned my lesson that if something is cheaper initially, it’ll cost you more money in the long run.

mikey_t likes this.
  19. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They were a clearence item. Originally $110 I think... Not cheap tires.
    Just a clearence item. Guess they are not going to carry them or they are
    going to change the tire.

johnerh likes this.
  20. johnerh

johnerh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Really strange…. After doing the tire rotation my mpg has dropped to an average of 27 mpg with the project lithium battery. Any suggestions?