1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Project lithium info

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Wrecit, Mar 23, 2022.

1. Wrecit

Wrecit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Well it's time for a new track battery and it's being installed next week (refurb under warranty) but am thinking about going to a project lithium when they are back in stock.

Anyone have experience with this conversion?

ydpplqbd likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've had a winter testing prototype of this pack in my Prius for 18 months and love it! Best part is climbing mountains. Use to run out of power near the summit and drop down to 2 bars and no power and nearly have to floor the gas pedal to make it to the top. But with Lithium pack it never drops below 3 bars and still plenty of power.

Also if you live on the west coast between Seattle and SF Bay area and use this affiliate link: https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw I'll discount you a $100 off installation price.

3. Wrecit

Wrecit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Unfortunately I am Pittsburgh Pa. I do have concerns because I believe what was the death nail in the current battery was the unusually long cold snap we had our here.

I street park and around Christmas the car was rock solid but was fighting to get it very 29mpg when it was below 15 degrees (about a month) will the lithium be ok with real winter conditions in the north east

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Briefly for two winters I tortured the battery getting stuck in snow seconds after starting the car in temps in the 20's and it was fine. I think once you drop down below zero fahrenheit you'd be wise to cut up some heated hunting socks and and wrap them around the outside of the battery pack to keep temp slightly warmer and you'll be fine.

5. Wrecit

Wrecit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What is this stuck in snow you speak of lol. This was first winter with second gen and third winter as a Prius owner. I honestly tried to get stuck and could not do it. Wife and I both passed 4x4s on the side of the road and would just wave at them lol

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Same here . Until you hit lots of slush. Then your traction control light is dodging in and out constantly as your front wheels are slipping in the slush and mask unless you're driving very slow and being very careful but we have had no trouble getting stuck and I'm not sure what's going on with the low temperatures business when I have 8° nights and 15° days which don't go on for very long I generally drive the car just as I do on a normal day on my service calls and we drive the car it doesn't drive us and we still getting 42 43. With a good battery. We wanted the project lithium too but a month and a half ago or two months ago and I had to replace my own nines battery there were no other options but the dealer was the cheapest also so next go around. I'm going to be needing another one probably before the project lithiums come back in stock again so I might get screwed twice

7. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a lithium pack and live in the high desert with below freezing temps.

All is good

8. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you have winter tires or just all season?
    What brand and model?

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    We have winter here in NC USA I’ve had no performance issues in single digit weather beating the crap out of car city n hwy. now wen it’s time to replace renew etc . It’s time cold or hot .