1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Project Lithium Prototype Doubles EV Range of Plugin Prius

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by PriusCamper, Jan 28, 2023.

1. jacktheripper

jacktheripper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Project weekly report by beta tester @PriusG909

date range: 1/24/2023-1/26/2023
    number of EV charging: 3
    distance travelled: 558.3 miles
    gas filled up: 8.461 gallon
    computer calculated MPG: 70MPG
    pump calculated MPG: 65.98MPG

date range: 1/27/2023-1/29/2023
    distance travelled: 524.6 miles
    gas filled up: 8.301 gallon
    computer calculated MPG: 63MPG
    pump calculated MPG: 63.197MPG

https://youtube.com/shorts/vIu1IpP3DUI

Thanks Nick !

Attached Files:

Kot21, PriusCamper and PriusG909 like this.
  2. PriusG909

PriusG909 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I’m the beta tester. This weekend was able to achieve 24 miles freeway speed between 55-65 mpg, of course they’re various factors involved, but from my point of view it’s excellent!

Jetsurgn, bisco and PriusCamper like this.
  3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    a link to my first entry in the Top 20 game for the PiP on page 29 of 35 pages. Most of the post to the thread were in the summer of 2013. There were only 3 chargers, at that time ( summer 2014 ) that I could reach in EV and than only 2 when the university banned public use of their chargers. Chargers 2 and 3 where about 12 and 13 miles away, while charger 1 is 3 miles away.
    Top 20 MPGe | Page 29 | PriusChat

Personally, I think from what I just seen Jack do on video, his new nexpower pack for the PiP is a much simpler way forward that trying to add a second OEM traction pack to the PiP.

The only question I'd ask is, what are the dimensions of 1 of the 4 banks of modules.
    I'd like to measure bank 1 of the 19 cells/bank in the Prime to compare.
    When I actually do get to that one bank, I'll be sure to check if the cells are liquid electrolyte.

Thanks for the videos Jack and the PrPrius app tooo....

#23 vvillovv, Jan 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  4. jacktheripper

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi @vvillovv , you are welcome, we will work on Prime battery replacement later this year.
    regular plug-in dimension 17.5L * 6 1/4W * 4 1/2H

Kot21, PriusG909 and vvillovv like this.
  5. PriusG909

PriusG909 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I meant mph ***

6. Roqu3

Roqu3 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, maybe this is a very stupid question because it may be a different car but the other day I saw a WeberAuto video about the dissasembly of a plug-in prius big battery and it had 5 long modules, the one in the video only has 4, it is because it's an older model? so this nexcell batteries wont work on the newer batteries? thanks

PriusG909 likes this.
  7. jacktheripper

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Project weekly report by beta tester @PriusG909 , thanks Nick!

date range: 1/29/2023-2/2/2023
    distance travelled: 516.4 miles
    elevation gain: 2700 ft. (long distance mountain delivery)
    gas filled up: 8.678 gallon
    computer calculated MPG: 63MPG
    pump calculated MPG: 59.51MPG

date range: 2/2/2023-2/5/2023
    distance travelled: 546.8 miles
    gas filled up: 8.466 gallon
    computer calculated MPG: 67MPG
    pump calculated MPG: 64.588MPG

https://youtube.com/shorts/ZG3Exnu_6g0

Kot21, PriusCamper and PriusG909 like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    correct, this is the 2012-2015 plug in with 4.4 kwh, the 2016-2022 plug in (called prius prime here) is double that size

9. storm petrol

storm petrol Member

44 degrees, 42 minutes North; 73 degrees, 29 minu
    Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Have a 2017 Prius Prime Advanced w/43k mi. that suffered rodent damage to the battery wiring harness. All cells in the battery are fine. However, Toyota will not replace the harness, only battery w/harness. It has taken months to get the new batt., but it is supposed to come in this week. Looking for ideas about how to insure the old, perfectly good battery ends up in someone else's car rather than being trashed by Toyota's recycling sub-contractor. Advice is welcomed!

10. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Totally unjustified for Toyota to force you to buy the pack when all you need is a few wires repaired. If you can get out of this deal and cancel the whole fiasco without losing money I suggest you do it. -

Any respectable mechanic can fix those wires for you in a matter of minutes with no parts necessary and the access won't take too long if a rodent can easily get to that spot. Only difference between patched wires and replacing the whole harness is that the former means the criminals at the Toyota Stealership can't rip you off in a huge way.

Worse case scenario if the wire damage is extensive, you can buy a used harness from a wrecked Prius and replace it with that. At worst we're talking about a job that could cost hundreds, but I'm sure the delearship thinks it can scam you for closer to $10K rather than $5K. Don't be their crime victim!

11. storm petrol

storm petrol Member

44 degrees, 42 minutes North; 73 degrees, 29 minu
    Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    They aren't scamming me so much as the insurance company, which confirms the Toyota protocols are real. Travelers will only pay for a new batt.

I will be in for the $500 deductible.

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    According to the other thread, this is a decision above the dealer with Toyota and the insurance company.

They probably have concerns of unseen damage to the battery.

TGrracie, pghyndman and storm petrol like this.
  13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you lived near me I'd of fixed it for $100... Your insurance company will make their money back from you every month for many years to come.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Insurance companies won’t argue with mfgs rec’s like an individual might. it’s too much of a safety risk

storm petrol, Trollbait and pghyndman like this.
  15. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Absolutely. As the damage has already been documented, anything other than the recommended protocol may well result in the vehicle becoming uninsurable (or refusal to honor any future claims). Better to eat the deductible and think of it as an upgrade from a tired 5 year old battery to a fresh transplant for a mere $500.

storm petrol likes this.
  16. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    what is the total kWh this new battery?

17. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Roughly the same kWh. It has to be close to OEM power output/curve to keep the battery ECU happy. The performance boost you get is primarily from a more modern chemistry in the cells because no one has learned how to reliably hack the firmware in the battery ECU.

Of course you've been saying for years that you learned how to hack the firmware but won't share what you learned, which is probably because your claim is not true.

#37 PriusCamper, Mar 26, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
    Prius Rising and bisco like this.
  18. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    huh? you know... I still like you, just... I didn't know I had to share my findings with the world. Separately... I only mentioned being able to modify the main ECU, but... when I am ready don't worry sweet cheeks, you'll know and you'll know only what I want to share. the world is bigger than your assessment and there is a lot more going on behind the scenes.

The performance gains ill get is from the rear electric motor I'm adding and the additional power from a larger capacity battery. I'm just trying to get over the obtain battery with more than 50kWh and obtain CHadMo components from the Japan spec PHEV so that it doesn't take 7 hours to fully charge.

BruceGordon likes this.
  19. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Last time I asked you wouldn't even tell me which ECU you were able to modify... And I like you to and will continue to assume that we're all working on these challenges in a collaborative way. But sometimes you act like you have secrets you don't want to share and that's off-putting and not collaborative and I'll call you out when you act like that.

As in the more we work together on this stuff the greater the benefits will be for everyone!

20. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    good sir, I wasn't aware I had to share just because I was asked. Others have shared similar sentiments, and I did not get the memo that says I have to divulge information when asked. Sure, I ask for info, like the total kWh for the battery. Doesnt mean it'll get answered, and if not, I am okay with that.

I tell yah, the assumptions people have, truly make me laugh out loud. The reason, most appear to not think outside the box... why didn't you think that I wanted to prove and test my findings before divulging information? How come I didn't want to provide inaccurate information so I'm withholding information? Particuarly for the fact that every post I've done, thinking outside the box, and others like the coil thread right now, is met with hostility and people refer to what they don't understand as "snake oil".

I mean hell, I drove a V with the track quantum and I felt the gains yet a whole group of members still feel its snake oil.

I've realized though, I am different from possibly 99% of the owners. I dont know all, I am also willing to test and make mistakes in this exploration stage I am in. Pushing the Prius to the limit to see the weak points and be able to make anything I want puts me where sure... I might be hesitant to share for collab as anytime I post a theory or idea it hasn't been met with open arms. Heck... all of the nonsense and public shaming of me because I've been busy attempting to take my car to the ultimate Tesla Eating Prius status, while developing new parts and trying to communicate with customers plus defending my name because people feel they shouldn't have to wait to receive a product no one else manufactures? What's funnier, everyone else can share their opinions, but when I do, I get called out? Someone just linked to another thread trying to "showcase" my opinions and pursued others to read how I am or the philosophy they feel I have that doesn't agree with theirs. Clearly, an attempt to in a nice way tell folks dont purchase from me. ha! the nerve!

Lastly, the Gen 3 Prius has been around for what... five years! Now that Gen 5 is out, in the time I've been around the below parts are now available, there hasn't been any work together to benefit the community that I've seen prior to even having one of these items made! When people do attempt to try something new they get bashed on. or... when I do share, and state my findings, like.... non-OEM cross-drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic brake pads during braking on a PHEV, the EV mile range significantly increases faster. I didn't have a capable obd2 device nor was I logging (well I was just after realizing the dongle I used was cheap and not quality enough to communicate fast enough, plus I corrupted the database file id been saving for over a year) properly to be able to show the value in the ecu called battery EV generated while braking (dont quote me here on exact wording but it is data available on the PHEV). I need to attempt to recover the data but have been recording data on the Prime, when it's time for brakes, similar parts as my PHEV will be installed and I can't wait to see the data. People will still say it's invalid for whatever reason just like they say "regen doesn't work that way" but they drive a non-PHEV and make comments on the unknown as if it were facts... so, dont try and force me or shame me because I didn't share with you, my experience is it best to hold my hand until I am 100% sure with significant evidence in support of my findings, else with no experience in a PHEV, the ones around here will try and state their opinions based on what they read online with no hands on experience... and say I am wrong.

Part List:
    Low Profile Roof Rack
    In-bumber winch mount to replace the crash bar
    Rear Lifting Springs and now Four corner lifting springs
    Lightened Flywheel
    LSD by Jack Spania (in progress)
    2" Lift Kit
    2" Trailer Hitch with 500bs tongue weight
    ECU modification without piggyback
    2.0L Engine swap (in progress)
    AWD Conversion kit for PHEV Prius Models (in progress)
    Ditch pod light bracket for the hood
    Full metal front and rear bumpers (in progress)
    lots more in progress, just... i think you get the point.

#40 black_jmyntrn, Mar 26, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2023