1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Project Lithium Soother Test

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by AzusaPrius, Mar 16, 2024.

1. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    @TheLastMojojomo

That was a test for the soother with an overcharged module to verify the ECU will throw a trouble code and it did.

I actually live in California I do not know where you got Arizona from and yes temps dip way below 32F where I live, that is and was the whole point of me using a soother.

I blame the installer in your cases of problems with any of the lithium batteries.

I will not entertain any hypothetical nonsene since all there is to it is people assuming things.

What happened in sworzeh's case was already pointed out by Jack with the image below.

As for the temp sensors I have attached images for you to understand that temp sensor 3 was directly attached to the overcharged module. Screenshot_2024-06-12-09-45-42-1.jpeg 20240612_100846.jpeg 20240612_100840.jpeg 20240612_100830.jpeg

black_jmyntrn likes this.
  2. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    @Xeico

Yes I dont understand your battery and I will assume it is dangerous without even testing or owning it and then come here to the forum and put down your work.

Dont waste any more time here talking nonsense then...

3. TheLastMojojomo

TheLastMojojomo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Okay how did he verify that it was a disconnected Circuit Board in @sworzeh's Prius... it's just a educated guess at best? Why just send a Signal Soother all willy nilly without verifying what the underlying problem was?

The Signal Soother worked to prevent the errors that were occuring and screaming at the driver to not drive the vehicle... and the signal soother bypassed that. See why it's a terrible oversight and safety and logic regardless of circumstance?

I assumed AzUsa meant Arizona USA... but I see on your profile it does indeed say California. My mistake.

mudder likes this.
  4. TheLastMojojomo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I am the installer... again. Please address what I did wrong in my video:

5. TheLastMojojomo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @AzusaPrius

And why did Jack offer to pay me to Beta Test twice even after publicly criticizing the Signal Soother and having roughly 10 Pack failures:

I don't think he believed I was at fault for any of my failures so why do you?

ericbecky likes this.
  6. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    yall reaching... just want to complain and not make things better I see... if only you were assisting versus attempting to tear down... all this would be closer to all of us singing kumbaya together.

7. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    @TheLastMojojomo

So...you installed 10 packs and they all failed?

Yea there is something wrong there and I do not think it was the packs.

Either you have/had a problem with your HV case or ECU's directly or you the installer is doing something wrong during install.

I highly doubt 10 lithium packs all had issues.

I even tested early prototypes and never had problems like you.

Your problems are something other than the lithium modules clearly.

8. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    or corroded connectors...

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Doesn't mojo do a mail route? USPS mail routes are absolutely brutal on vehicles..........
    I think my wife's route had around 600 stops.

Brian1954, mudder and TheLastMojojomo like this.
  10. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    @TheLastMojojomo

As for how Jack concluded on what it was, he actually tests these scenarios in his workshop so he would know more than someone guessing.

He probably wanted to pay you since you were learning how to install 10 lithium packs.

See what happens when you assume things?

You completely ignored the facts on the temp sensors

But you stated a claim as if you knew better.

11. TheLastMojojomo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Since you don't know how to use the reply function properly I'm assuming your replying to this:

Jack can release these very thorough and comprhensive tests to indicate what caused @sworzeh's battery failure?

Wait a minute... he never got any component of the Hybrid Battery... how did he verify what the problem was with @sworzeh specifically... and why not have them check the module to ensure the Circuit board was connected before having them install the Signal Soother if he'd had a previous incident of a disconnected Circuit Board like you claim here:

251637_Screenshot_2024-06-12-09-45-42-1.jpeg

Why not send out an email to his entire database of customers about the potential of a Disconnected Circuit board before installing the Signal Soother?

@AzusaPrius @black_jmyntrn...

Did you watch any of my videos and see how Aggressively I drive them? I probably do more regenerative braking in one day then you guys do in a year. My Prius is used hyper Aggressively on mail routes... accelerating harshly from stops and long regenerative braking stints 100's of times a day... watch the 1st 10 minutes of this 10x speed video below with charted voltage spikes.

Yes the packs can fail in a day or 2 if used hyper Aggressively.

Don't you find it strange that everytime I reinstalled OEM NiMh I had zero issues for weeks at a time using the same battery ECU and wire harness? You can also see all the other videos I listed above of how diligent I was recording everything.

I'm not sure those are facts... I know I asked you in the past to very thoroughly document your tests with videos synced up to Dr. Prius. Your data is not very good... and would be easily falsifiable. Even if you are 100% correct...
    could you explain how installing a device that prevents the Battery ECU from seeing error codes is a good idea? I've asked you to do this a dozen times now and you still haven't.

I'll post this here again for good measure:

mudder likes this.
  12. Xeico

Xeico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    May I know about your education and skills?
    On what basis do you make such conclusions?

I have a master's degree in control and development of automation systems for nuclear power plants.

#112 Xeico, Jun 12, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2024
    TheLastMojojomo likes this.
  13. TheLastMojojomo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @AzusaPrius @black_jmyntrn... here are my 2 Gen 2 Priuses...

20240612_134657.jpg

Both installed New OEM NiMh after the Project Lithium debacle... 10,000s of miles later and not one peep of an error code

ericbecky likes this.
  14. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    @TheLastMojojomo

A typical customer will not be savvy enough or want to open up a module.

The soother I believe was sent to him because it was cold and so the real problem was not known at the time.

Once the image of the melted module was uploaded then Jack knew right away what the issue was, kinda like a fireman knows where and why a fire started.

The fact that you did NOT know where the temp sensor location was for the #14 module tells me you do NOT know how to read the Dr. Prius app as good as you think you do.

I always put the sensors directly at the ends and the middle one on the 7th or 8th module.

Like I have said the soother will pass errors through and the system will go into safe mode.

As for you doing more regen than anyone else well that is your opinion and assumption.

Try going South on the 15 freeway all the time....max regen for a much longer stretch than any of your streets in your town.

Maybe your brake pads were trash since you use them so much, that can cause high regen.

Still no smoke, no fires, no problems.

Like my first post in this thread which states which module was the overcharged one #14 and the sensor 3 is where it would go but you did not know that for some strange reason but you know how to install packs with all the packs you installed.

Like I said you are quick to jump the gun but it is looking more and more that you just assume things even without having a product in your hands.

15. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    @Xeico

Well I graduated high school and have a lot of skills.

I made a sarcastic comment based on how all the haters here are acting.

I have also done years of R&D and QC with the following companies. LG, Netgear, Activision & Netduma.

Also my father was a chief electrical engineer who taught me a lot.

I owned and ran a car audio shop so I know my way around vehicles and electronics too.

I can design a website from scratch using Dreamweaver and have excellent SEO skills.

Then there is over 20 years in sales that I have under my belt.

Seriously man what is your point here besides jumping on the wagon to do a driveby on someone?

Go work on your nuclear projects...

16. TheLastMojojomo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Nope regen Brake is rate limited to 33.5hp max and will never excede that no matter the circumstance and will always scale down if SOC gets too high or the Battery gets too hot. That is hard coded into the HV ECU and I have measured this as well:

[​IMG]
    Regenerative Brake Torque always goes to maximum before friction Brake torque... if this was not the case it would defeat the purpose of regenerative braking.

Power input (Dashed yellow line) stays constant at about 28hp for about 10 seconds while the light green line (actual regenerative torque) increases. This is because as speed (white line) slows... the MG2 Magnets rotate slower so more "regenerative torque" can be applied to them to generate the same 28 hp of power (Dashed yellow line).

Power input is limited to 28hp in this graphic and not 33.5 hp because HV Battery Temp (Gray Line) is a 110°F and outside the 77-104°F temp.

The friction Brake torque line is purple. See how that behavior works? Any questions?

As the Prius slows... only so much regenerative brake torque can be supplied because the MG2 Magnets are rotating too slow for sufficient and consistent brake force to be supplied. Which is why in all circumstances... friction brakes will take over 100% of the time and supply more and more force.

Here is my reply breaking down Jack's theory that poor brake pads lead to increased regenerative braking. That never happens and is impossible. This was a direct text message to Jack stating why the brakes become spongy.

I'm fairly certain it just because of scoured and riveted rotors. The sponginess was initially really bad when I 1st started using this 2nd Prius on the mail route. but the pedal feel and response is significantly better since driving it more and continues to improve... but still not near as good as my other Project Lithium Prius... which has perfect pedal response. Brake pads are still almost new and I bled all the brakes... fresh fluid and no bubbles in any of the lines at the time of bleeding.

I think the sponginess occurs specifically because of regenerative braking being coupled with friction braking. The Skid Control ECU expects a certain amount of friction torque to be supplied when braking per brake pedal input... but due to the scoured rotors...Friction Brake Torque is undersupplied and the Skid control ECU's brake force calaculation is incorrect... and this causes the sponginess... especially as you begin to brake harder and it couples regenerative braking with friction braking for the total required braking force. It's off because the scoured rotors are not supplying the predicted Torque being calculated by the Skid Control ECU so you need to brake harder to supply more friction brake torque as a result.

What actually occurs is with shoddy brakes... friction brakes just increase until the vehicle stops as regenerative braking will already be at it's rate limited maximum the entire time...

This is one of the White lies I've caught Jack in to protect his Business's image by blaming potential failures of his pack on something else like excessive regen... never happens in any cirucmstance... except for maybe with the signal soother installed because it transmits a lower voltage than the modules actually are leading to increased use of regen in failure circumstances.

I'm done replying for now... I'll wait for @mudder's further analysis of the soother working that actually provides substance.

#116 TheLastMojojomo, Jun 12, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2024
    ericbecky, mudder and Xeico like this.
  17. Xeico

Xeico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1) I’m not trying to offend you, but 2 engineers explain to you why the product is not safe, and you only argue that “well, everything works fine for me.” We don’t just say this, but we substantiate it with evidence. 2. This is a dangerous product, I’m not saying anything for certification and the use of automotive grade components, but people should know that for 2 thousand bucks they get a DIY constructor. Which can burn their car. 3. Don't tell me what to do and I won't tell you where to go. This is a free country and I can do what I want. You defend Jake, but this only makes things worse; any understanding person will assess this as an inadequacy of the developer and his community.

ericbecky, mudder and TheLastMojojomo like this.
  18. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Great so we will all be back when mudder gets back to promote his LiBSU.

In the meantime if there is anyone else that actually has a soother installed in their Prius please reply here with your real world experience with the soother.

Also if there is anyone here with just the Nexcell lithium pack and it has caught fire or is smoking please reply.

All other Nexcell owners without issues can also reply.

19. mudder

mudder Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a plan.
    Clarification: I wouldn't call LiBSU a 'bandaid', but certainly Signal Soother is.

Do you agree the following approximate dates are true?:
    Earliest date the Signal Soother was first made available publicly to non-beta testers: 2023DEC
    Probable date the Signal Soother was first made available publicly to non-beta testers: 2024JAN
    Latest date the Signal Soother continued shipping prior to Jack's decision to stop shipping: 2024MAR

If we agree the following dates are correct, then that means the Signal Soother was offered to the public for at most three months, but probably only for two months. Do you agree?

If Signal Soother was offered for sale for only two or three months, how many times do you think Jack might have revised it during that brief period?

I agree I was never a customer.
    I still slightly disagree that LiBSU is a direct competitor, but obviously a repurposed NMC lithium battery (that I won't sell) will compete.
    I was also previously a person Jack sought out for technical expertise to solve his deficient design issues.

Again, 'slander' probably doesn't mean what you think it means:
    -First, my statements would need to be false to qualify as slander.
    -Second, slander applies to spoken statements. For example, Jack tells a person on the phone that "mudder is lying about..." is slander.
    -Third, 'libel' is probably the word you meant to use, but still doesn't apply to the statements I've made, given that they are true.

Still not telling. Not up for debate. If the sender wants to out themselves, they are free to do so at any time.

I really don't think it's up for debate whether or not I created a knockoff PCB just to libel Jack. Do you realize how absurd you sound suggesting this? Anyone out there with a Signal Soother can readily reproduce my findings. If I did in fact create a knockoff PCB (I didn't), @jacktheripper ripper would immediately win the slam dunk defamation lawsuit he would bring against me... it wouldn't even go to trial. Why would I risk my professional reputation for that?

If the 4k video footage I showed in my youtube video didn't show the text well enough (I content that it did), here is all the silkscreen text on the board I received:
    "2023-12-14"
    "BL10-CH14-V1"

Based on this information, I probably reviewed a RevA PCB, which Jack finished designing on DEC12. Given my conversations with NexCell around that time period, this timing makes sense.

ericbecky and TheLastMojojomo like this.
  20. mudder

mudder Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    IIRC, didn't you place your overcharged NexCell module in module position 14?
    If so, then per the findings in my video, you should know that the Signal Soother doesn't actually modify the tap voltage from B13+ to B14+. In fact, the Signal Soother actually worsens the output signals to the BSU when your module 14 is over or under charged. Therefore, if you tested in position 14, then you didn't actually test the Signal Soother.

Clarifying questions: When you overcharged your NexCell module, did you overcharge the entire 5S module, or just one cell within it? If it was the latter, did you also slightly discharge the other QTY4 cells within that same module, so that the overall 5S voltage was the same as the other (balanced) modules...
    ...because if you didn't, then your test results are invalid, no matter where you placed the test NexCell module.

ericbecky and TheLastMojojomo like this.