1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Project Lithium Soother Test

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by AzusaPrius, Mar 16, 2024.

1. mudder

mudder Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It would appear that Jack didn't test for the scenario where the connector came unplugged and yet the system didn't fail into a safe state. For more details, read my previous reply to @jacktheripper when he suggested this as the root cause for the incident in question. I'll be sure to address Jack's theory in more detail in the video I'm filming right now for the V2.5 NexCell modules that just showed up at my doorstep.

ericbecky and TheLastMojojomo like this.
  2. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Jack installed the pack into my car and I was there, so he did the charges to the modules.

I have a different version of the soother since I have tested two soothers.

I will try and get an early start tomorrow and take pictures, it is 92F outside right now.

ericbecky likes this.
  3. mudder

mudder Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    For reference, here are my qualifications:
    -I graduated high school, too, and also have lots of skill, and also;
    -I have an electrical engineering BSEE degree from Vanderbilt University, and then;
    -I designed cutting edge electrical instrumentation at National Instruments for a decade, and then;
    -I continued designing electronics at an engineering company I co-founded, and then;
    -I 'retired', got bored, and started consulting as an EE for startups, and then;
    -I 'retired' again, got bored and started designing my own hobby projects.

I hate to pull rank here, but I think I'm more qualified than you are to make technical assessments regarding EE products.

If you've "done years of R&D and QC", are you able to form even a single qualified engineering statement? So far you haven't properly challenged the core issues we've suggested exist with existing NexCell products. Are you unable to properly create scientific discourse?

Teach us what your father taught you by forming a logical challenge to any 'theory' I've made in this thread.

This experience sounds more like 'electrician' or 'technician' than it does 'electrical engineer'. No disrespect to those professions; my brother is an electrician. Technically I'm a (master) electrician, too, but that's only so I can sign off on paperwork.

Useful skill... not relevant to your qualifications as they pertain to this discussion, but ok.

And here I was thinking you worked on the marketing team at a political campaign.

Not a driveby... I put the car in 'park'.

When I worked at NI, I actually worked on a fun nuclear warhead payload integration project. Basically we measured the radiation signature to verify the warheads contained as much HEU as the scientific team's calculations predicted. To do this, you subject the DUT to a sub-critical event and then measure the response. As you might imagine, the emissions occurred at extremely high frequencies, hence where I came in.

We ended up designing a modular, lunchbox-sized device that could simultaneously acquire QTY4 56 GS/s 8b ADC samples. That's 1.8 trillion bits per second, or 224 GB/s. The even cooler thing was you could stack as many of these in parallel as you wanted... one customer purchased over QTY1000 channels. Each test they performed generated ~224 TB of data. Super fun project!

ericbecky and Mr. F like this.
  4. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    @mudder

All that knowledge and you still havent fixed the issue with your little program parsing your reply.

All that was for xieco not you...again.

black_jmyntrn likes this.
  5. mudder

mudder Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Me, too. My next post will be a link to the video I'll film later tonight regarding the NexCell V2.5 design. Just opened up the box.

I'm still waiting for anyone at Team Jack to answer my question regarding who specifically is going to test which specific SS. I worry that if I test it to failure, they'll just say "mudder modified it to fail". Hence I'm giving others a chance to offer their units to whomever else wants to test them. Team Jack: see my previous posts in this thread if you want to be that person.

That's not happening anytime soon. A properly engineered product takes time, and I tend to stay quite busy. In due time I'll invite you to the LiBSU Alpha program.

You are focusing on the herd. We are focusing on the corner cases.

ericbecky likes this.
  6. mudder

mudder Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Ad hominem.
    Way to address even a single point anyone has brought up regarding the safety of this project.

This is a public forum. Anyone can reply to anything not just the one person you '@'.
    Note that I did fix "the issue with [my] little program parsing", and I did in fact see you wrote to xieco.
    Notice how I added my own reply to your qualifications. Crazy to think that you'd punch down and not allow someone more qualified to respond in a public forum.

I'm going to add the following counter to the bottom of every subsequent post I make in this thread:
    Qualified scientific statements @AzusaPrius has made: 0
    Qualified scientific statements @AzusaPrius has addressed: 0

7. mudder

mudder Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    So wait, you didn't actually perform the test scenario then? Checks notes... wait, didn't Jack design the system? If we're going to doubt anyone's statement of fact regarding a system, I would propose we may have found the reason your test passed.

So then was the test performed in module slot 14, which the Signal Soother doesn't actually modify in any way? If true, that would cast even more doubt on Jack's truthfulness regarding the test. If ever there was a smoking gun regarding the SS, you just wrote it.

What reasons do you think Jack might have had to test in your car? Does Jack also not own a Prius? Why wouldn't he test this in his car? Maybe, just maybe, he intentionally created an smoke-and-mirrors test for you so that you would 'bless' the product as a 'independent' 3rd party. Does anything about the test 'you' performed still seem valid to you? I think you got duped.

I'm still skeptical more than one released SS revision exists.
    Yes, please post a high resolution picture so I can compare it with my version. What dates are written on your two versions?

#127 mudder, Jun 12, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2024
  8. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    @mudder

So are you actually a paying customer for the v2.5 lithium pack or is some unknown person sending theirs in to you to test and bash?

9. mudder

mudder Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hypothetical: Let's suppose I paid for it. Does that change what's inside the box when I open it?

10. mudder

mudder Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    "bEcAuZe ItS fIxT nOw"

Thank you for providing all this domain-specific experience to this discussion. I didn't note any conceptual issues in your observations, but again what do I know? I'm just a "Honda Boy" (now in my signature).

11. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    @mudder

You get zero points too since you will not say who sent you the soother or who sent you the v2.5 lithium pack.

That says a lot about you

All this hiding info and faces...

12. mudder

mudder Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I've already addressed my position on this several times: I will not divulge my source. My failure to do so doesn't detract from my technical discussion.
    I will ignore any future attempts you make to get me to reveal my source.

That I'm a man of my word?

Besides my sources, what specific additional information am I hiding?

Regarding showing my face on video:
    -I've already addressed this issue, and;
    -I linked you to an unrelated video wherein I showed my face, and;
    -it has nothing to do with the merits of the discussion.
    -I will ignore any future statements you make regarding showing my face in videos; instead, I will refer you back to this post.
    -you sound like the kind of guy at the bar who wants me to "take this outside" (for the record, I would).

#132 mudder, Jun 12, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2024
  13. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Qualified scientific statements @AzusaPrius has made: 1

14. mudder

mudder Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Incorrect. This isn't a qualified scientific statement, as it:
    -has nothing to do with the topic under review (i.e. NexCell products), and;
    -@AzusaPrius' statement was a bad-faith ad hominem attack (and he knew it), and;
    -@AzusaPrius' statement was incorrect (i.e. I have fixed the off-topic issue in my program, and also previously stated that fact), and;
    -it wasn't attacking the merits of anything I had written previously, and;
    -there wasn't any scientific uncertainty about whether or not the 'parsing' issue existing. I willingly volunteered the issue existed. Nobody was defending whether or not it was true.

You providing that 'proof' is really saying it all regarding how many scientific statements @AzusaPrius has made. Try again.

15. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    @mudder

The way you went about sourcing the product by Nexcell seems a little on the suspect side of things.

Looks like you are trying to extract information to design a copy of his product.

You have never even posted a picture of you prototype LiBSU and around here is where people say pictures or it didnt happen.

You will get your points when you say who you got the soother from.

Who you got the v2.5 lithium pack from.

Pictures of your prototype device.

Then and only then will you have any real cred here, only so much typing and bashing can get you but in the end the proof is in the pictures.

Oh and show yourself in your videos.
    Dont be scured...

16. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    @mudder

with all the words you type, clearly, you have something to prove... were you not accepted in social groups growing up? did you play any sports at all?

17. mudder

mudder Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    See my post #132 in this thread.

Unless I wanted to design an unsafe, shoddy product, there's zero useful information to extract from @jacktheripper's NexCell design. I explained that fact more nicely in my original NexCell V1 'BMS' review. That design is beyond useless, full stop. And the V2.5 design (still under review as we type) won't have anything useful as it pertains to my completely separate design.

Nothing Jack has done is relevant to the LiBSU product I have proposed.

I literally outlined this project last week. Prior to that, I had never even been inside a G3 Prius. How would I have an LiBSU prototype already? Your argument is in bad faith.

See above.

See above.

ericbecky likes this.
  18. mudder

mudder Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    ...yes, that @jacktheripper's products are unsafe.

Irrelevant ad hominem attack. I'm gonna assume you weren't in debate club?

ericbecky, Brian1954 and Xeico like this.
  19. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    @mudder

It all makes sense that you are barely trying to design a copy of the Nexcell product.

You have had some time with his products sent to you by unknown sources.

You continue to slander Nexcell on youtube and have shown zero pictures of anything you made.

Yet I will be waiting for an alpha product of yours and you will get my address...doubt you would ever put it in park though but unlike you, I actually have a prius and will test it instead of jotting down scribble scrabble like you and just bashing a company.

Do not flake on that LiBSU as I really want to see you design and create something that works on a prius.

20. Mr. F

Mr. F Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mudder is designing a replacement for the BSU, while NexCell sells replacement battery modules. The two are DIFFERENT products, and one cannot be substituted by the other.

The sources are irrelevant. If @jacktheripper thinks the product @mudder reviewed is not representative of the product he so rapidly pulled from his website, it would take one public declaration from him, the "inventor" (not you, the promoter, who has yet to make one factual argument) to set the record straight. All we hear are crickets.

You seem to be under the impression that any statement damaging to a business qualifies as slander. Not so. It MUST also be materially FALSE. @jacktheripper needs to step in and make a declaration to that effect if so.

When potential customers of the NexCell pack find this thread, and they most certainly will, I'm sure they will figure out the kind of treatment they can expect from Jack and his team when an issue is brought up.

ericbecky and mudder like this.