1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Project log: Prius base suspension upgrades

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by galownia, Nov 21, 2009.

1. 2maples49

2maples49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For those of you on this forum with non-touring gen II cars who are happy with the cruiser ride of the Prius, but want a little better cornering, there's a very cheap option. If you already have good handling tires, just add a factory touring rear sway bar without changing any of the rest of the suspension. The standard bar on my 2005 was 19.4mm and the touring is 20.4 mm. Does not seem like much but another member calculated that it's about a 20% increase in stiffness. The touring bar is only about $50.00 from the dealer and there's only 2 bolts to the very easy installation.

I very pleased with the touring sway bar. Right after the install, I took my car for a drive on a local two lane road with lots of curves posted at 30 to 45 mph. I did notice a slight reduction in lean with a big reduction in under-steer and no noticeable increased roughness on one wheel pot holes. With my Goodyear Eagle GT HR 's inflated to 38 front and 34 rear the car inspired confidence and was actually fun. I found myself going faster and faster through the corners. It's no sports car, but it drives more European car like, with less of the typical Toyota econo car push.

This is a small change and surely not enough for those who want to transform the car from a cruiser to a sporty car. But it has a very good cost benefit ratio for me. Now, I just need to get the BT chassis brace (to help with cross wind performance) when it's available again.

Thanks, Dan

1 person likes this.
  2. galownia

galownia Previous master neon mechanic

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Dan - this is another great option, and certainly the cheapest rear sway bar upgrade out there. I can attest from other cars that 20% change is large enough to notice.

If you don't want to spring for the ~$125 for the TRD bar, this is a good place to start. You may even be able to find one in a junkyard.

Jonathan

3. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I wonder what the stock size is on the compatible Corolla/Matrix - if they happen to use the same size as the touring it'd be a cinch to find one cheap.

4. galownia

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update:

I've posted my impressions on Yokohama dB E-Spec tires. Relevant excerpt here:

------------------------
    4) Yokohama dB Super E-Spec (Grand touring summer)
    I replaced the stock touring Bridgestone Turanzas with Yokohama dB Super E-Spec's (195/55/16) purchased from TireRack at $139/each. I was after 2 main objectives:
    a) Better turn-in response, transition, and overll grip
    b) Equal or improved gas mileage
    Also, given I run a separate set of snow tires in the winter, I was not concerned with snow and ice traction. With these criteria, I eliminated wider than stock, heavier than stock, and any all-season tires that were not at least better than stock. The rest I left to research. I good place to start is TireRack's article: "When Round and Black Becomes Lean and Green"

Not sure the miles on the Turanzas - they came with the car and had been swapped from the touring with unknown miles. Turanzas were worn, but not bald, probably 4/32" left in the tread. Impressions after ~2500 miles below:
    Comfort - These tires are quieter than the Turanzas, even with full tread. Quieter at steady state and quieter over bumps. I was not expecting this, but it is welcome

Fuel economy - I'm getting an average of 1-2 mpg better with these than with the Turanzas. This is a 2%-4% increase, consistent with what TireRack reports

Handling - Much better turn-in response. Car overall feels crisper and more poised. Steady state cornering ability is noticably improved. Wet handling is substantially better than stock. Overall, very happy with these in the handling department. These are certainly not the silver bullet, but a large improvement.
    Verdict: Pricey, but well worth it for the added safety alone, particularly in the wet. Not to mention the much improved handling overall.
    ------------------------

5. Vern

Vern Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    My '08 Prius handled terrible. It was hard to keep going straight down the road. Just a slight input to the steering ended up being too much. I had to drive the car every second. Cornering was terrible and also driving in cross winds. I had the alignment checked. No improvement. Putting on Michelin Gas Saver tires helped slightly. I heard about the stiffener plate, found one on eBay and bought it for $45 plus $15 shipping. I installed it just before an 1800 mile trip. Wow, what a difference (night and day). The trip was through the Ozarks. I was following a motorcycle group and easily kept up with them on the very curvy roads. Took all back roads. It did not improve gas mileage, but it sure is a joy to drive now (got 58 mpg at 50- 60mph). Others I had read about who got the stiffener plate did not seem to notice much improvement. Their cars may not have been as bad as mine to begin with.

6. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the same diameter as the Touring edition rear sway bar. The Corolla/Matrix front sway is 24mm, which is ~3mm bigger then stock 2nd gen front sway.

7. s3nfo

s3nfo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Josh,

Are you saying the 24mm Corolla/Matrix front sway bar is a bolt on replacement for the Prius front sway bar?

Thanks,

8. galownia

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update:

I recently got to drive an equivalent 2008 Prius base model with none of the upgrades I have made since starting this project. Wow - night and day difference. I described the un-modified prius as a "floppy fish" after driving it.

Major differences were in total grip, confidence in cornering (lots of lean in the un-modified base). The car just felt floppy all over the place - a real boat - vs the modified version.

Jonathan

9. galownia

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update:

I've posted my impressions of the TOMs front strut brace. Relevant excerpt here:

--------------------------
    5) TOM's front strut tower brace
    This was a relatively easy addition to the car - 45 minutes from start to finish. I got mine from Sigma Automotive ($399). You'll need a 10mm, 12mm, and 14mm socket, 14mm wrench, 8mm hex bit, and torque wrench capable of doing 30 ft lbs. While it may look daunting given you need to take apart the front cowl and remove the windshield wipers, everything is easy to get to, remove, and re-install. There is a good how to with photos here:

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/74284444@N00/sets/72157603921021144/"]BT Strut Tower Brace Install (by Gadgetdad) - a set on Flickr[/ame]

I took the car around some clovers and did some quick transitions at moderate speeds (35-45 mph) to test out the impact. The Prius behaves like you would expect with a front strut brace if you've ever used one before:

- Turn-is is crisper. Entering clovers, the car feels more connected to your steering inputs. The time between your input to turn, the car leaning, and then settling is reduced, making you feel more confident in corner entry. No change in amount of lean expected or experienced.
    - As with all cars I've ever put a front sway bar on, the car feels more settled and stable throughout the corner - just a more solid feeling. You can consistently and predictably accelerate to the limit of the tires
    - Likely as a result of the crisper input, transition response seems to be improved.

Verdict: Improved overall feel - not much overall improvement in grip. Better responsiveness to steering inputs is good. An expensive upgrade.

10. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. :)

11. galownia

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Josh - that's great news. Can anyone confirm having tried it?

Update: overall balance of the car
    In other news, I took the car out and pushed it this weekend. I found that the balance overall is excellent.

On a clover, I pushed it to about 42 mph when the tires started to squeal. At ~45mph, it started to drift out from the desired line in a very predictable, slow, and, importantly, linear fashion. In fact, I was in a very mild 4-wheel drift.

After exiting the highway, I then tried sudden input into a 90 degree rounded corner (think merge lane on a right hand turn at a stoplight). I went in about about 30 mph and gave a quick steering input. Car entered the turn well, tires lightly squealing, and initiated a very mild 4-wheel drift (controllable, slow, and predictable - fantastic). Getting off the gas DID NOT induce oversteer.

Conclusion: The car is very well balanced currently and in my opinion still very safe to drive. If you need to push it, it is predictable and forgiving. The mods I have done to date I am very happy with as a combined package and would definitely recommend them.

Next steps: I still think there is too much lean in the car, particularly on corner entry. Further, I think the ultimate grip level can still be enhanced. To address, while hopefully keeping the great balance I have established this far, I will:
    1) be replacing the rear struts and springs with the touring versions
    2) Upgrade the front sway bar to the touring version
    As always, I will report back my findings. Happy motoring,

Jonathan

12. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The idea of a Prius in a drift amuses me greatly.

13. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I ran it on my 05 Prius along with 24mm polyurethane bushings. When I traded my 05 for my 10 (don't get me started there) I sold it to toyotechwv. I'm getting ready to put one on my fiance's 05 as well. The difference is night and day.

I recommend you get the Corolla front sway over the Touring edition. Corolla front sway and Corolla TRD rear sway makes for a much, much, much better handling Prius.

14. galownia

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Josh - the Corolla is 24mm then? I'll have to look one up. What year(s) Corolla should I be looking at for my 08 Prius?

Thanks!

Jonathan

15. galownia

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've updated the thread with my impressions of the touring rear springs and stuts. Relevant excerpt here:

3) Touring rear struts and springs (5/7/2013)
    I finally got around to installing the rear touring suspension - struts and springs. The parts were relatively inexpensive at the time of purchase - less than $300 all in. However, I had them installed by the dealer as I have just not had the time. This added nearly $400 to the total cost of this mod. Upon this writing, the front of the car remains stock save the BT strut tower brace.

Initial impressions: The rear of the car feels much more planted. Upon some low speed transitions (30mph - 40mph), the mismatch in roll between the front and back of the car if very evident. The front seems to be working very hard to keep up with the rear. That being said, the car tracks extremely well once set into a corner. Turn in is responsive, but not crisp.

I took a few higher speed corners - a clover onto the highway. Where before the car felt at the edge at ~45mph, with the rear struts and springs, the car felt very confident and tracked well. I was able to accelerate out of the corner onto the highway at full throttle with no loss of traction. I also tried to get the car to rotate mid corner by jumping on and off the gas. Even at 40mph in the clover, the back end stayed planted. I did notice the front end struggling to keep traction in this case - there is a hint of understeer creeping back into the car. This was confirmed on a 90 degree exit at 30 mph. The car tracked the corner well, but I could feel the front just barely skating along. I think the stiffer touring bar will even out the handling by setting up the front end faster. I will confirm Friday when I have it installed.

The verdict: Pricey, but well worth the investment. The margin of safety added to the car is quite large in cornering. The excitement factor is much higher, as is the confidence you gain while driving. Less roll is clearly evident and appreciated. If you can do this one yourself, it is a no-brainer. If you have to pay to get it done, I would think about how much you really want to push your car and if you would benefit from the added enjoyment of a markedly better handling car.
    -----------------------

Daves09prius and Agent J like this.
  16. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    excellent thread here. i think you will be very pleased when you get that front sway bar installed. apparently, the poly bushings are too noisy for street use, but the bar works great even w/ oe bushings.

Justdidit likes this.
  17. mary2al

mary2al Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is an excellent thread! galownia has written with magnificent details = Thank you for your efforts!!

18. galownia

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks all for the support and added advice and experience. I've enjoyed building up the car and glad that it can be helpful to the fourm. I'll keep the updates coming as I make more changes, but I'm coming to the end of the planned upgrades.

69shovlhed - Thanks - I'm looking forward to the bar. I've gone with OE bushings (not my initial preference), but again, since this isn't an ultimate performance machine, I think they'll be a nice compromise.

Jonathan

19. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    the oe corolla bushings seem to be pretty firm anyway, i'm thinkin i might just ebay the polys i bought.

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.
  20. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    ...and prob less noisy...