1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Project "pissed off prius" underway

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Acidbass32, Feb 11, 2016.

1. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thank you for all that info Justdidit, It's not really the mechanics that bother me, it more the time and place. It took a body shop 2 hours to replace it with the one I bought, and these guys are the "pros"

2. Acidbass32

Acidbass32 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Justdidit is right on with the diagram post, I don't even have a garage I work out of. Usually I am in a parking lot on campus over the weekend doing this stuff. With the horns, just make sure that you don't need a relay for the horns or the install wont be a simple plug and play type deal.

Yeah I have always had all black leather interiors so I figured it was time to switch it up.

3. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks for the go for it attitude I will see how advetorous I get. So by having my replacement bumper not painted I kind of customized it but way not as cool as yours

Acidbass32 likes this.
  4. Acidbass32

Acidbass32 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As long as you are happy with it, we all have our own little things we like and dislike and some things you have to do purely because you live on an island filled with potholes lol. We are always happy to help on the forum, I know I got a lot of my inspiration from Justdidit and 69shovlhed and best of luck with the endeavors :).

Justdidit likes this.
  5. illprius

illprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well after I got thinking of your sticker bombed vents I got the idea last night. Im going to be ordering some Urban Camo vinyl and wrapping my dash vents and the roof of my Prius!

Jon Senum and Acidbass32 like this.
  6. Acidbass32

Acidbass32 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is going to look awesome! Be sure to post pics when you are done, I had the exterior of my supra a matte military green and the interior a forest digi camo as well as the valve cover of the 2JZ, definitely gave it some pop.

7. illprius

illprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm guessing those panels with the vents are all just clips? Basically just pull to come off?

#67 illprius, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  8. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    they do just pull off, but watch the dash disassembly video on youtube before you go for it. there are a few wires and screws you got to be careful of. and some plastic prying tools are a must, imho.

9. Acidbass32

Acidbass32 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Plastic prying tools are great, I took apart the dash several times when I installed my aftermarket stereo and I was just using my hands. Lets just say having chunks of the air vents missing is not attractive, especially when its $150.00 to replace 1 vent (had to replace 2). Overall it is fairly simple though, kinda like a giant lego set.

So I have a question, I am heavily considering the idea of installing 8 LED cubes on my car (6 on the cargo bin and 2 for fog lights) as well as rock lights for the wheel wells and I realize that running all of this to the jump point under the hood would be a bit of an overload. So I am also considering buying a bluetooth circuit control center to make things a little easier to manage ( 8 Circuit Control Center – RideController ). I just want to know if anyone has any suggestions with a better solution (maybe several switches mounted in the cabin?).

10. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I can understand the concern, what makes you think it would overload the jump point? From what I've read, up to 80A is "Safe" as there is a 100A fuse in the line between the car's DC-DC converter and the 12V battery.

11. Acidbass32

Acidbass32 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My mistake I phrased that wrong. Electrically it wont over load, but if there is 5 more wires going to it plus the two I already have on there, wont it be a pain in the nice person to get that fuse box lid to close?

12. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have three wires currently, Fog lights, LED light bar and front bumper camera. I just used a dremel and rounded out the opening of the fuse lid a bit to make room for the wires. Zipped tied and wire loom makes it look almost factory.

13. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    you can buy a junction block and mount it near the fuse box, then you only need to run 1 wire to the jump point.

Justdidit likes this.
  14. Acidbass32

Acidbass32 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There we go! That was the term I was looking for, the bluetooth system I posted is basically just a junction box on steroids. However, I like switches in the cab better because its easy to flip on and off all the auxiliary lighting instead of using the app for the ride controller system.

Well I bit the bullet and did it. Last night (when I was procrastinating studying for a biostatistics exam), I ordered a CB radio with PA speaker, a 3 foot firestik antenna and all the goodies that go with that, I also got 8 LED 4x4 pods, a few LED rocker switches for them, and rock lights. Hopefully I will have everything by next week and installed by then as well, I am going to see about a junction box but I may do what justdidit did and dremel out a section of the fusebox lid.

Got the rock lights on, takes a whole new meaning to going green. IMG_6285.JPG

Xterra72 likes this.
  15. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I very much like the under hood painting.

I personally don't like the "look" of the mircophone on the a-pillar...maybe paint the clip beige, but not the microphone.
    At least for my eye to blend it in with the rest of the interior.

Yes, the rest is awesome.

16. Acidbass32

Acidbass32 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you, I figured I would get to the " fine tuning" like paint touch ups and such once I get all the big ticket items out of the way.

17. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Out of all the braces and sway bars, you've installed in which order would you do them if you did them again? I've done the rear sway bar, now looking into the others but don't want the ones that don't do much.

18. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    the front sway bar is gonna do more per dollar than any other mod for handling. you should be able to find a used corolla/ matrix bar pretty cheap. performance struts will do a lot too but are very expensive. the strut tower brace makes a difference, but less than the sway bar for a lot more money. the front sway bar is a little difficult unless your used to working on cars, because you will have to lower the engine subframe to install it. Toyota recommends removing the steering gear and exhaust, but that's even more work than dropping the subframe.

Mavi and Justdidit like this.
  19. orangeeeyore

orangeeeyore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

so any matrix/corolla front sway bar? not 1 off the XRS?

20. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    As long as you pick up part numbers 48811-AB010 or the newer 48811-AB011 from Toyota...or save money and snag a 2002-2008 Matrix or 2002-2010 Corolla front sway bar from a junkyard...All 24mm front sway bars that will work with the 2004-2009 USDM Prius.

Mavi likes this.