1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Projector foglights retrofitted into 2010-2011 OEM shrouds

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by xliderider, Jun 22, 2013.

1. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Replaced the cutoff shields with some that I made with aluminum flashing I had available:

[​IMG]

I shifted the cutoff points lower to get more light out of the projectors, also made the arc/curve on the shield shallower to move it away from the bulb. Original cutoff shield is in the middle. Don't know if the distance from the bulb is at the ideal point, but you can see there is heat burnishing on the original cutoff shield from the intense heat generated by the bulb and retained in the housing.

Still need to drive it, but preliminary impression is that there is more light down the road with little glare above the headlight cutoffs.

2. Joe-G

Joe-G Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have HID bulbs in my stock fogs in both my Prius and my Vette and they are wonderful on dark roads. They really light up the road below the stock headlights and on either side...good for spotting gators planning to cross the road (also both HID, 4300k)...but as you suggest, I don't use either when people are coming at me as without a projector lens, the HID fogs are way too dazzling and rude to other drivers.

xliderider likes this.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for being a considerate motorist. ;)

Over here, the Toyota Tacoma is a very popular truck. And it seems a lot of them are running HIDs in their reflector low beams. The headlights are also higher than on the average sedan, so that makes them even more blinding to oncoming drivers and people driving in front of them. :(

They just take the ainokea attitude. FYI, that translates to "I don't care".