1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prolong Battery Charger Installation

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GotRidofSignUpMessage, Apr 7, 2017.

1. GotRidofSignUpMessage

GotRidofSignUpMessage Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I am in the process of installing the Prolong Battery Charger harness in my 2012 Prius v.

The red wire is longer than the black wire in the instructions on Prolong's website:
    [​IMG]

For the harness I received, the red wire is actually shorter than the black wire and the red wire will not reach the terminal once the black wire is attached. Has anyone else experienced this?

20170407_115242.jpg

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What does this charge? The 12V or the traction battery?

3. GotRidofSignUpMessage

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Pretty small gauge red/black wiring, unless that is just for signalling.

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    For those, like me, that were wondering what a Prolong Battery Charger is:
    ProlongĀ® Value Reconditioning Package – Hybrid Automotive

I have a healthy amount of skepticism about the benefits. Seems to be marketed to keep your HV battery healthy OR to try to restore a failing unit (big alarm bells here) but I find it hard to believe a low amp single connection battery charger could do anything more than Toyota already does with their charging algorithms. No real independent reviews quickly located. It is sold on Amazon and has one "glowing" review but no other reviews.

6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Several members here have threads about their reconditioning. @fotomoto and @WilDavis can chime in about their experiences so far. @jerrymildred had also used @jeff652 's products.

I just got the new intelligent discharger and will be putting it to use over Memorial Day weekend for our 2010 Prius II with 152 k miles and going strong.

I have done one top end balance (using only the Charger) and have noticed better battery life when in stop and go traffic (ice turns on less). The battery also stays at 7 bars more.

I'll start my thread to document the findings though (y).

jerrymildred and WilDavis like this.
  7. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ...as mentioned above there are lots of threads about grid-charging, you might find using "search" with Prolong Discharge and Hybrid Systems to be useful. Also ask about the extension cord which makes it easier to have the charger and discharger outside the car when they are being used. BTW Welcome to PriusChat!

jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would LOVE to have the new intelligent discharger. I do mine the old fashioned way with the lightbulb kit. You do have to be careful that you don't discharge it too far with the bulbs, but the discharge conditioning is just as important as the charge conditioning if you want full range on both ends of all cells. But the top end conditioning is still helpful, from what I've read. Doing charge/discharge, my wife's battery worked great right up till a texter bent it at 174,000 miles. She now has an '07 with about 115k on it.

As for installing the cable, the instructions are very clear and it's really not hard at all. I got one of the early models and there was an error in the battery fan control box wiring diagram that gave me a few others a little excitement until Jeff saw what was wrong. Just had the polarity reversed on two wires controlling the fan which made it run full speed and gave some codes. Easy fix. All better in no time flat and no further issues that I ever heard of. GREAT tool. I just wish it was possible on a PiP, but not sure I want to treat a lithium battery that way after seeing what happened when Samsung pushed too hard. ;)

WilDavis and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry again about the harness mess up! This one was my fault, fat fingered the order to my fulfillment guy. The Express Mail envelope should have delivered the correct harness already. We'll send you a label for the return shipping on the wrong harness.

Plenty of capacity for the low current delivered by our systems. We are moving 3 amps or less through the wires, the fuse will open at 3.15A.

We are almost caught up on the Prolong Battery Discharger orders. Order to fulfillment is currently about 5-7 days if you decide you want one . . . .

Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.
  10. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, I would LOVE one, Jeff. But, now that we just have one grid chargeable Prius in the family, it's just too hard to justify the expense. Especially now, with some serious health stuff going on with my adult son and having to help him cover the income drop he has while he waits for donor lungs and then the 3-month recovery. I think I got the PiP at just the right time, since I drive so many more miles now. We'll have to get our reserves built back up first. But I am really glad that you have it available now. I hope lots of people get to benefit from it.

jeff652 and Raytheeagle like this.
  11. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, lot going on. No worries, we'll be around if/when you are ready. I hope things go well with you family and your son especially.

jerrymildred likes this.
  12. GotRidofSignUpMessage

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Does anyone know how to turn off the audible alarm of the discharger? I'd rather it not go off since I am discharging the battery overnight.

Thank you, Jeff for sending out the harness. I will return the other one as soon as I get your label.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sure thing! When in Idle, press and hold the Stop/Reset button for five seconds to toggle the buzzer off and on. :)

Meg&Bear and Raytheeagle like this.
  14. GotRidofSignUpMessage

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    What does it mean when the discharging led is flashing and the system idle led is lit, yet the voltage readout is more than the set discharge termination voltage?

Do I do a reset and start again to get it to the set voltage or do I now charge the battery even though it hasn't reached said voltage?

15. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is normal. When the discharge is completed and the load removed, the battery voltage will 'bounce back' and rise to the packs resting voltage. This is usually around 20-30V higher than the point where the discharge finished. You are fine, go ahead and reconnect the charger and move on to the next step.

WilDavis and Raytheeagle like this.
  16. GotRidofSignUpMessage

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Does turning off the alarm need to be done each time the discharger is turned on or does it have a memory?

17. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It will remember the setting even when powered off and/or unplugged. We are sending the return label tonight, you should have it shortly.