1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prolong Battery conditioning kit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by 44Zoomer, Jul 29, 2017.

1. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True, it was just a test done on purpose to observe the cars behaviour.

2. JMJCATH

JMJCATH Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just doing what Hybrid Automotive recommends. (See Jeff's post, #29, in this thread for his three reconditioning cycle recommendation)

I wasn't talking about the number of charge/discharge cycles. I'm talking about the number of reconditioning cycles. For those who don't know, a reconditioning cycle is four charges, three discharges, drive for a couple of days. Repeat the reconditioning cycle two more times.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My battery installer mentioned he has noticed that the Gen3 is more aggressive in its battery management which he believes is attributing to earlier failures than the gen2. Time will tell.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is not the advice up to now and I took that as specific advice to the person to whom he was reply. I don't know I would want to do two more full reconditioning cycles as a matter of routine. Further, I took what Jeff said in post #29 to mean, after doing a full recondition cycle, drive the car for a couple of days and then do a charge and then two further discharge/charge cycles, not two full recondition cycles. The former would make more sense, rather than the latter, to me.

So are you saying Jeff told you specifically that this was now his general advice?

5. JMJCATH

JMJCATH Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I sent an email to Hybrid Automotive and was told (not by Jeff) to do three, but now I'm beginning to suspect there is confusion of what is meant by a reconditioning cycle and so I sent another email for further clarification. Will keep you posted.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool, thanks.

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yeah, doing three, 3-cycles with a light bulb discharger would take 9 days minimum and that's only if you babysat it the entire time.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry for the delayed reply (busy getting Pro series launched). Hopefully this will help:

One reconditioning is three full charge-discharge cycles plus a fourth charge to bring the battery back to normal charge levels. If the battery is strong, the third charge-discharge cycle can be omitted if desired. This is described here:
    Battery Reconditioning - Hybrid Automotive

We recommend performing one reconditioning treatment twice per year (every six months) as preventative maintenance. Three months between reconditioning treatments, one overnight charge & balance should be done to keep the cells equalized. If the battery shows signs of weakness prior to the next six month interval, reconditioning frequency should be increased.

My recommendation to 44Zoomer to perform a second reconditioning treatment shortly after his first was for him specifically. We do see continued improvement from cells from a 4th or 5th cycle, but not enough that we recommend it broadly for all batteries.

Sean2005Gen2CA and Raytheeagle like this.