1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prolong Battery Discharger testing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jeff652, Dec 12, 2016.

1. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Discharge testing of our soon to be released Prolong Battery Discharger went perfectly. Just need to finalize our enclosure design and ramp for production. Can't want to get this to market!

[​IMG]

The Prolong Battery Discharger will:

-Be extremely easy to use
    -Work with every vehicle we currently support
    -Drain the battery at 1.4-1.5A during the normal operating range, then taper current draw down as low as 200mA while the battery deep discharges.
    -Shut it self off when done.
    -Have multiple safety monitors & protection mechanisms
    -Retail for less than $200

Target release is January-February 2017

(We are also working on a universal pro series 3A charger and discharger that will be released in the spring for our professional customers)

Attached Files:

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Just stack it under the charger in a visually similar enclosure appropriately labeled and leave a reasonable gap for heat to escape. When not in use, the cables could be wrapped around the posts providing the gap.

jeff652 likes this.
  3. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's going to start off as a sheet metal box. Injection molds are expensive and we want to be sure it's going to take off before investing in molds.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Is that a fan design? If so, will it pull double duty and direct the exhaust air to the HV battery?

avprius likes this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sure sounds alot better than the light bulb routine. I would be interested in one.

6. gamma742

gamma742 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Luxury
    Is that it, in the silver enclosure?

7. ikefor

ikefor Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Certainly an improvement from the light bulb, can I ask how it differs from the intelligent discharger?

8. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Functionally almost identical for 1/3 the price. Internally a completely new design that brings cost down and reliability up. :)

EDIT: There is one key difference. The Intelligent discharger has a peak current draw of 2.5A. The Prolong Battery Discharger will peak at 1.5A. It will take longer to drain the battery. This is a fine trade off for a product that will be 1/3 of the cost. We are also working on a new Universal 3A Professional grade discharger. One unit that will work with all battery types and be faster (at a 3A peak). It will obviously cost a lot more than the consumer units as well.

#8 jeff652, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    offib likes this.
  9. ikefor

ikefor Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks that helps, especially in understanding the price difference. The intelligent discharge has worked pretty well for me so far, will be nice to see what the end product (Prolong Battery Discharger) will look like. Consider cooling and ventilation as dischargers typically tend to run hot and some users may be in the tropics with all year round average temperatures in the mid 80's degree centigrade.

10. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Getting closer. Some revisions needed to the enclosure and one more PCB edit:

1.jpg

We are also adding what I have named the @WilDavis feature :): An audible (loud) buzzer that alerts you when the discharge process is complete. Think microwave on steroids. It's not Bluetooth but will have the same effect.

2.jpg

I think we will have these ready in late March/early April. It will likely be a limited release initially or slightly higher cost for the first couple months due to a key component being on global back order and all alternatives being much more expensive. :(.

#10 jeff652, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    Raytheeagle and WilDavis like this.
  11. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you @jeff652 - I feel deeply honoured! :)

12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Will it be programable to be able to select it on/off and is the volume level adjustable? Just thinking if I am working away right next to it, I don't really want to be "yelled" at by the thing and possibly jump out of my skin. LOL.

13. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hahah yes, great question. We need a way to silence it for those overnight discharge sessions (and to reduce scare events;))

Bill the Engineer likes this.
  14. offib

offib Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Aww man.

15. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah we are not excited about it either. It's only about a $20 impact, but still. It seems we have the last 12 of the spec'd fans on the planet and more won't be in from the factory until mid May. The next best alternative is close to $10 each more

16. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That doesn't seem bad at all.

And won't deter some from looking at that option in the near future:).

17. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In my career as a machine design engineer, I have run into similar situations many times before. My advice to you is that time to market is more important than a short term $20.00 premium. Give the customers the choice to get the more expensive first run, or to wait for the less expensive version.

Considering I have a 2004 Gen II, 2010 Gen III and 2014 "v" donor chassis under the Firebrid, I'm going to be looking for the full discharge/recharge package to use on my fleet soon.

Bill the Engineer

offib, Raytheeagle and jeff652 like this.
  18. offib

offib Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Pretty much.

I was meant to reply earlier, Jeff. Sorry about that. A $20 or $40 bumb up is acceptable. I was just not hoping for the release date to more from early February to at the most mid May. If it's not now, then I wouldn't be able to devote the time for it until July most likely.

19. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We are opening the Prolong Battery DIscharger for pre-orders. I will add a few prototype photos tonight, mostly the ones from this thread. Here is the link with dates, price, detailed product info, and pre-order details:
    Prolong Battery Discharger Pre-Order -- Hybrid Automotive

Feel free to ask questions here of via PM/email and I will do my best to answer them.

Jeff

offib likes this.
  20. offib

offib Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Nice!!!! Pretty sure I'll be jumping in on this soon! Looking at the checkout from your site, would it include taxes and all that jazz when importing to Ireland? And would the right, 3-pin inlet be supplied for 230v 50Hz? If not are they the usual female power cables for desktop computers?

#20 offib, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    jeff652 likes this.