1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prolong Battery Discharger testing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jeff652, Dec 12, 2016.

1. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Like our chargers, the Prolong Battery Discharger will be universal AC compatible. You will need to supply the AC power cord. Yes, any female computer printer or monitor cord will work fine. Shipping will be included at checkout, but not any import duties. We will list the values low to help with that side of things ;)

offib likes this.
  2. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Subscribe....and definitely will keep supporting your company and great products you have.....they make my job much easier when working on hybrid cars ...

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

jeff652 likes this.
  3. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi Jeff, are you planning to put a CE label on it?

Once I ordered a charger, but the German customs intercepted it, because it had no CE label. They threatened to charge me 35 euros for them to destroy it, unless I send it back.

Samprocat likes this.
  4. oskarfk

oskarfk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't know that custom could do that. After som reading about the swedish custom they have the same, ofcourse we are in EU and CE is a standard.
    Have anyone else experienced a custom interception?

Skickat från min SM-N9005 ?

5. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes i have sending some other staff to my brother in Austria......i guess there is always something to learn....
    But I'm sure he will correct this for future international orders

6. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great question. We are working to obtain CE certification for all of our primary products. All of the internals are already CE certified and UL listed. Using a third party for certification is anywhere from $4,000-$20,000 USD per product. We are going to try to self certify in the spring, after the trade shows are over. If that doesn't work we will hire third party help.

Fred_H likes this.
  7. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Exciting news: For no extra cost, we are integrating datalogging support into the new Prolong Battery Discharger! We are updating the software code to enable a 16 Megahertz analog output that can be read by using any TTL to USB cable. (We will ultimately put a recommended cable on our website). This will allow you to data log voltage and current while discharging using your preferred application.

#27 jeff652, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  8. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks
    For another great product

9. HBS

HBS Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Been meaning to contact you, Jeff, and let you know how pleased we've been with your chargers/dischargers. I especially liked the new mods you made to the new wiring harnesses, with the fan plugs already wired in. That was a really nice touch, and makes installing them much easier. If I could provide one little bit of feedback on your Prolong chargers it's that it was bigger than I expected it to be. After looking at it on your website and Ebay, I thought it would be a lot smaller. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, because I really felt like I got my money's worth, after I received the first one. I installed another harness last week so I hope you get another order from Iowa.

jeff652 and offib like this.
  10. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I now have a new scheme running to "smuggle" a charger into Germany. I think my chances are very good this time, but it is very expensive.

Thanks Jeff. When the time comes for a complete reconditioning, that would make it much easier for me to get the discharger.

11. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We just shipped a full charger system and Intelligent Discharger to Germany and had it go through fine. I'll PM you the details. :)

Fred_H likes this.
  12. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My charger is probably or possibly already underway. If it doesn't make it, I will definitely take you up on your very kind offer!

If the rest of the car keeps holding up, I might be needing the discharger sooner or later too. And your new intelligent discharger looks very nice!

jeff652 likes this.
  13. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely interested in a discharger myself, current setup working great on the Highlander too.
    Really like the ability to log data.........my hat's off to Jeff for keeping the great stuff coming to us DIY folks!

jeff652 likes this.
  14. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm starting to worry that I may have the beginning of HV battery issues. Can you give me a specific parts list,with costs, of what is needed to address this in my 2010?

jeff652 likes this.
  15. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To recondition the battery, you need a car harness, a charger, and a discharger. If you are OK with the light bulb discharging method, we have one bundle that includes everything you need:
    Prolong™ Battery Reconditioning Package - Hybrid Automotive

If you want to use our new Prolong Battery Discharger, then you need to purchase the charger/car harness kit:
    Prolong™ Discharge Ready Battery Charger - Hybrid Automotive
    and the Prolong Battery Discharger:
    Prolong™ Battery Discharger - Pre Order - Hybrid Automotive

We will be shipping the first batch of Prolong Battery Dischargers in a few weeks, but you can pre-order now :)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Raytheeagle and WilDavis like this.
  17. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A few more questions:

1) How hard is it to install the harness?

2)What does the Battery Discharger do for me that the light bulb discharging method doesn't?

3) If I just buy the Battery Reconditioning package, can I upgrade to the new Battery Discharger later?

4) Is there any way to try this out down here in Atlanta before I invest $500 - $700 in it?

18. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Our car harnesses are plug-and-play, so installation easily done in a couple hours with normal hand tools. Here are the instructions for the Gen2 Prius:
    2004 - 2009 Toyota Prius Plug-and-Play Car Harness Installation Instru – Hybrid Automotive

The Prolong Battery Discharger automates the discharge process, eliminating the need to monitor battery voltage and change light bulbs to reduce the load as the battery discharges. You also no longer have to watch the discharge meter to disconnect the charger when the voltage reaches the minimum levels. The Prolong Battery Discharger automatically tapers current down to protect the battery, turns itself off when done, and sounds an audible alert when done so that you can start charging the battery right away. We don't have a try before you buy or upgrade program, so the best way would be to buy the Prolong Discharge Ready Charger and Prolong Battery Discharger. We will be creating a new "Bundle" SKU once the discharger is in full release to make ordering easier.

The 16 enclosures for the March pre-order arrived today. Only two of them are still available for purchase. Just waiting on PCBs now . . .
    [​IMG]

#38 jeff652, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1) The on-line destructions are really good, although I paid a local (well, 1½ hour drive away) installer to do the job, and noticed that he used the on-line instructions (…and he let me help without charging extra). Having seen it done, I think I could easily do the next one on my own.
    2) The IntelligentDischarger will stop automatically when the discharge is complete, the latest discharger has a warning BEEP which will wake you if you happen to have dozed off whilst waiting. (one of the problems with the light-bulb version ("…are we there yet? …are we there yet???" :rolleyes:)
    3) I think so, but wait to see what Jeff has to say (…if he's reading this! Jeff?)

4) I do not know - but if you were up here in New Hamster, I'd let you borrow mine!

I started off with the light-bulb discharger, used it a couple of times last y ear, but bought the Intelligent version last summer and have used it a couple of times since! It works very well, but here's a tip -

Tip: …ask Jeff for the MagikEkstensunCord which I (…ahem) suggested - it makes it much easier to run both the charger and the discharger outside the car (i.e. they don't have to be inside the car) (why? I hear you ask, well, the first time you use the light-bulb discharger, all will be revealed! ;))

Good luck! - hope this helps - Wil

Raytheeagle and jeff652 like this.
  20. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    See above.