1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prolong battery system battery charger.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Travis217350, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Travis217350

Travis217350 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prolong battery system battery charger. Paid 450$. Used 3 times. Located in Az.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a duplicate of the one in the sales forum ;)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try renting it out.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's what I want to do with my charger, but because Prolong fan controller and harness are so expensive I'm having a hard time getting people to buy in. Why are people so cheap when it comes to preventative maintenance? Like they think its a virtue to not have to spend money on their car until it actually breaks?

How can they not understand the logic of paying a couple hundred dollars via a Prolong harness and install and then renting the charger & discharger every a couple-few times year? You can get way more life out of your battery doing that compared to having what happens if you procrastinate on doing anything for your battery for too long. I guess I have to work harder to help them understand? Anyone got any tips on how to do that?

I wish that when the CARB states forced Toyota to provide 150K mile warranty they also required all cars came with a hyrbrid battery maintenance system similar to Prolong.

#4 PriusCamper, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    bisco likes this.
  5. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like many electronic devices, the Prolong system might not travel too well. Hybrid Automotive will repair under warranty (I know this from experience) but shipping it all over the country probably is abusing warranty privileges.

And while we can fault owners for not buying in to the system, a harness is at least $149, and installation requires tearing apart the rear interior to get to the battery and cooling fan. I have a harness to install in my 02, but I'm waiting for cooler weather. I wouldn't even attempt to recondition/balance my battery in temps over 75 degrees unless the top pan was off and I was blowing a lot of air over the modules.

bisco likes this.
  6. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any one who's interested in this should go to Hybrid Automotive and check compatibility. Gen 1 Prolong systems won't work on Gen 2.

7. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Here in the Bay Area, I share ownership with 2 other members here and have loaned it out on occasion;).

Stays in our geography and helps others keep their Gen3 or Gen2 Prius running strong (y).

#7 Raytheeagle, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    audiodave and Brian in Tucson like this.
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I didn't know they raised the harness prices to $149. I guess that's to discourage sharing. They used to be really cheap when they first came out, for use on 2nd cars in the family

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it's true, but only 1/2 of it is compatibility, the other part of it is fake compatibility/profit-driven marketing...

As in the lowest voltage Prolong chargers are for Gen1 and most Honda hybrids... The Prius charger is a 260v system and the 360v system is for Lexus, Highlander, Tahoe, Yukon. And while the consumer is led to believe that you need a different charger that matches your vehicle, for the low, low price of way too much, they sell a "shop starter kit" with a 360v charger and 8 wiring harnesses for Honda & Toyota: Value Shop Starter Kit - Toyota & Honda – Hybrid Automotive

In talking with them it turns out the 360v charger is smart enough to dial back the amps of the charge and work on lower voltage systems, but it takes 50% longer because the system is less efficient. So why do they make things run so slow for a shop spending $1600 on a start up system? Perhaps to get the shop to grow impatient and spend $4K on the deluxe pro system that can do a full discharge and recharge in less than 8 hours.

Don't get me wrong, I love what Prolong is doing, but the prices are way too high because because they don't don't have the sales volume to lower the price. Had CARB states based their battery concerns on battery science and required a built in conditioning system rather than just a 150K mile warranty on battery pack failure, we'd not be having this conversation and Toyota wouldn't be investing big in dropping the price of replacement battery packs.

Cyvan likes this.
  10. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They haven't done much to reduce the cost of the Gen 1 battery packs.

11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yea... They haven't done much to improve Windows XP lately as well... :)

Cyvan likes this.