1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prolong Battery Systems featured in Parts & People Magazine

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jeff652, Dec 2, 2016.

1. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    jeff652, jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  2. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes but take it one step further. We've created the ability connect to and begin cycling a full pack in seconds, without removing it from the car. This can be done as many times as needed for the rest of the life of the vehicle. Hybrid battery reconditioning is not a one time event. If done once and never again, then in 9-15 months the battery will be right back to the imbalance 'failed' state that it was in before reconditioning was performed - exactly what happened to your Dorman pack. If hybrid battery reconditioning is performed as an ongoing service maintenance to the battery every 4-6 months, then years and years of incremental battery life are suddenly very attainable. This is the unique ability of our products, and what our patents are filed around :).

If there is a module with a known failed cell, odds are it will have to be replaced. No amount of cell cycling will repair an internal short or excessive IR cell, regardless of what charging & discharging device is used. If we have a professional user/reseller with a customer car with a possible 'failed' cell in a module, we always recommend replacing the module to eliminate the chance of a customer "come back". If it's a private individual and the red triangle just appeared for the first time, we might recommend they to try cycling the pack with the weak module still in it to see if the cell will come back. In these cases, it's a 50/50 chance that reconditioning alone will recover a borderline cell - and we always tell customers this up front. If one is a private individual with time to tinker on the car, then those odds are worth giving it a try. If they don't want to mess with it, then we connect our customers with a trusted module supplier and have them replace the borderline module up front. Shops/professional users can't take the risk of the repair not working for the long term, so they should replace weak modules even if they are not 'fully' failed yet.

For your Dorman pack, assuming you are testing resting voltage, then I would say the 6.32V module is likely gone. If it tests that far down in voltage without any load, I doubt it will recover and be able to sustain the high current loads being applied by the car. But if you have time to try it, then sure why not ;)

We recommend load testing each module to determine health and assess for replacement. Our low cost consumer load tester applies a 5A load to each module using an H4 12V bulb wires in series. Our professional grade load tester/IR calculator will apply a 60A load to better simulate what the modules/cells experience in the car (It will also have a 20A module capacity measuring capability). It is designed to help battery rebuilders identify and replace weak modules when working on packs and/or customer cars.

Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.
  3. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sweet! Thanks. Should Ship Saturday or Monday at latest :)

4. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well our latest batch of cooling fans is not up to our standards :(. We ordered replacement fans with expedited shipping, but all pending Prolong Discharger orders will be on hold until we can replace the fans. New shipping estimate: Wednesday 5/3 or Thursday 5/4

5. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fine with me. I'd rather get a product made right than one that needs to be recalled for a bad part. (y)

WilDavis and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just completed a full charge/discharge sequence on my 2006, 123,000 mile battery with a bad cell DTC. Load testing with the headlight bulb unit confirmed a bad module 8.

So now I've got 27 modules reconditioned and balanced, and one defective module.

I got a $33 eBay replacement module (rated as 7.6 volt) that is of otherwise unknown condition. I've been cycling it with a $15 hobby charger/discharger, but the numbers don't make sense. The cycling shuts down for reasons I can't identify, so I just restart when it doesn't make sense. But it still looks like it takes 3000 mAh to charge, and 4000 mAh to discharge to 4.8 volts. Hardly new, but probably similar to the other 27 modules.

My question is how to integrate the replacement module into the already rebalanced set of 27. Should I just do a full 3 cycles with the replacement installed? Seems like either the 27 or the replacement are going to be stressed by another whole sequence. But the replacement is clearly the odd one out now.

Raytheeagle and jeff652 like this.
  7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    That's what I did. It was about a week between the two sets of conditioning. Nearly a year later, all OK.

Raytheeagle, jeff652 and RobH like this.
  8. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, you will need to cycle the pack once the replacement module is installed. At least 2 times, ideally 3. We can connect you with a trusted supplier of quality used modules if the one you have doesn't work out.

RobH and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. GotRidofSignUpMessage

GotRidofSignUpMessage Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    While in idle mode, press and hold the stop/reset button for 5 seconds (until the lights flash).

jeff652 and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Correct. This is how to do it. I need to get the website update but have been behind. It's coming soon I promise :-/

11. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, I finally sat down and started a "Prolong® Battery Discharger User Guide" page on our website, located here:
    Prolong® Battery Discharger User Guide - Hybrid Automotive

You guys can help me out: Is there any information you want to see that is missing? Anything confusing or unclear?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. :)

Ajourney101 likes this.
  12. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, finally installed the harness last weekend. It was simpler than it looked...for the most part.

No wireless/broadband where I live, so I saved the installation PDF to my iPad. Bigger pics are needed. I could zoom in, but tapping the photos led to a link I could not access as it wasn't part of the PDF. :confused:

Ajourney101 and Raytheeagle like this.
  13. gamma742

gamma742 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Luxury
    Would the Avalon Hybrid be the same discharge as the HyCam?
    and I assume the CT200h is the same as the Prius 2004-15..

jeff652 likes this.
  14. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, correct on both counts :)

Ajourney101 likes this.
  15. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry yeah. The images on our website can be clicked on to enlarge them, but it you are offline that wold be hard to do . . .

16. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Im just curious, any reason why the discharger and charger can't be in the same unit reusing the parts within?

17. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would guess it's because the charger was developed first and they just finished making the "intelligent" discharger. To combine them (a good idea) would mean reworking the whole design...that takes a while to do.

jeff652 likes this.
  18. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did a discharge and an odd thing happened. The "idle" light was not on, but the charging light was flashing with the beeping alarm. I can honestly say I don't know at what time it finished discharging. Does the idle light go out on its own or was something not working right?

19. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Was the discharge current showing anything? What was the battery voltage at and what voltage were you trying to get to?

I turned the buzzer off, so not sure about that.

20. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Should have snapped a photo :unsure: (lol). I know the draining voltage was crazy low...a fraction of a volt, I think. I was getting to the first one (134 V). Pressing the reset button silenced the alarm and made the light stop flashing, and I think the "system idle" light was on too, but I forget. :(

My copy of the instructions said "When the discharge is complete, it will shut itself off and the Discharge Complete LED will illuminate."

It looks like the instructions under "product guide" don't match what you have liked from the "overview" page. They had me wondering how to know it was done correctly.

Prolong® Intelligent Discharger User Guide – Hybrid Automotive

versus

Prolong® Battery Discharger User Guide – Hybrid Automotive

FYI

Same might go for the charger. Looks like the links weren't changed or the pages weren't all updated.