1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prolong charger fixed me again even though I do it wrong:

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by edthefox5, May 28, 2019.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    About 16 months ago my bought new 07 was showing hybrid battery issues. Going to purple real fast and bad mileage and no power. Bought the prolong charger the original one with the light bulbs and did a full or so i thought discharging session. I did it wrong but it came out really well. I DO NOT charge between discharge sessions.
    Now 16 months later she's getting tired so i did another session.the same way. Here's how i do it:

Charge the battery for 24 hours. Then begin discharge session by installing dual 200 watt bulbs. I let it discharge to 180 volts. Then I changed out the bulbs to dual 75 watt bulbs. I do not charge between discharge sessions. I run the dual 75 watt bulbs till it hits 85 volts then i changed them out to dual 25 watt bulbs till it hits 50 volts.
    I then stop discharging and begin re-charging and let it charge for 24 hours.

It works really really well and its fast i can do it over a weekend.I think its a much more benign discharging session and does not invoke alot of heat. The battery was still healthy enough to respond to another discharge session.

Battery is awesome again. Solid 3-4 blue bars wherever I go and whatever style I drive. back to 50 mpg's.

bisco likes this.
  2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You're bringing the cells down to 0.3V per cell??? That can't be right... That's a super bad idea. All for reconditioning batteries and Prolong makes an excellent system, but 0.3V is way into the permanent damage area of NiMH cells.

SFO likes this.
  3. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The 17V setting on the intelligent discharger should bring the pack down to 0.1V per cell... Is that not so intelligent?

Pixel XL ?

edthefox5 and SFO like this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I would never argue with you about battery’s 2k as you know much more about them then I do but I can tell you my battery responds incredibly well with this method. Been a month since the second rejuv and it’s like a new battery. I suspect that will not last as long as the first rejuv session though as I know I am on borrowed time.