1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prolong charger what am i doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mk3supraholic, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Mk3supraholic

Mk3supraholic New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    So i started the reconditioning process yesterday after the charger had the battery at 243v for a few hrs i decided to try the first discharge down to 134v. I set it and went to bed. 7 hours later i went to swap the charger back on but to my surprise it was only at 160v and still discharging. So i left it for another hr or so and went back to find it only at 154v. I havent heard of anyone discharging for that long So i decided to stop discharging there and plug in the charger. It started charging and the amps were jumping all over the place .001 - .343 Its been sitting now at 224 volts for a few hrs. When i started i was at 243. Did i ruin the battery by letting it discharge for so long?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

If you're using the intelligent discharger, then it will turn off once the desired set voltage is reached, sometimes this can take many hours, after that the automatic discharger stops charging, then while in standby (aka off) the HV battery voltage will bounce or settle upwards.

No damage was done, and you'll be fine. Be sure to let it charge enough on the top end, this could also take many more hours.

How many miles on the vehicle, and is the HV battery virgin?

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    +1 to what @SFO said above;).

You'll be fine:).

Good luck with the charge cycle and keep the data coming(y).

srellim234 likes this.
  4. Mk3supraholic

Mk3supraholic New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Letting it charge and balance again. Its been about 8 more hours and it up to 240v

Its a 2008 with 111k miles on it. We bought with 22k miles.

Over the course of our time with it

Ive replaced some light bulbs
    Burped the cooling system
    Replaced tires
    Oil changes
    Air filters

Other than that its all original

I have a new serpentine belt on its way and im considering doing the sparkplugs soon

I believe the 12v battery is not original (true start)

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How is the voltage looking now?

Seen any fluctuation in the displayed voltage?

How many hours has the voltage been holding steady?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Mk3supraholic

Mk3supraholic New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Let it charge overnight got back up to 243 I discharged successfully to 134 but it took almost 9 hrs. Bounced back to 157. At about 3pm i started charging it again. Its now 10pm and its at 220v i may not do another discharge because the discharge is taking much longer than expected. Most stuf i read said 4-5 hrs.

I started friday and if i do another discharge ill be running into Wednesday

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should have let it continue to charge until the voltage was stable for at least 6 hours. So if the voltage maxed at 243 V and stayed at that for 6 hours all well and good. I find that voltage may continue to go up when left for 4 or 5 hours so waiting is important.

Taking a long time to discharge and to charge is a good thing. It means the battery is in better condition than you thought.

What symptoms were you seeing that made you want to run a reconditioning cycle?

One thing to bear in mind when battery reconditioning is not to be in a hurry. It generally takes the time it takes. If you try and rush it or cut corners, you will not get the benefit.

#7 dolj, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    srellim234 likes this.
  8. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I seem to remember one instance of a discharger that was discharging very slowly. Jeff at Hybrid Automotive had the customer send the unit back for testing and it turned out to be a defect when they assembled it. He very quickly replaced it with a new one. If you think there is anything wrong with yours, contact them. They have very good customer service and will work with you to make sure your unit is working properly and you're satisfied with it.

I'll see it I can find the thread that bad unit was mentioned in.