1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prolong Charging possible Issue?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mjaajm, May 27, 2019.

1. mjaajm

mjaajm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rebuilt my Prius battery. Replaced a 2 module. Sorted modules inside to outside. All 28 cells tested at 7.8v. Placed back in car and installed Prolong wiring harness then hooked up the Prolong charger per instructions and it started. It went just as the procedures read. Fans on voltage wavered for a moment all looked good. The charger read 202V and .004A and has not changed in 7 hours.

2 things, 1) if all individual 28 batteries confirmed at 7.8v shouldn't it read 218.4v and 2) .004A - isn't that too low to charge anything? My fear is that it is not charging anything at this time. Any insights?

<this is actually written by my husband who is trying very hard to keep my beloved Prius running for me. It threw the triangle of death and the hybrid battery error just after turning 250k. We opted to replace modules (only one was showing as bad) and try the charger. One round of whack-a-mole and then we make a bigger decision of this doesn't work>

Prieth likes this.
  2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You are correct, I'd agree that something is wrong. The last I knew, the charge rate should be around 0.350 amps, which is about 90x what you say yours is showing. Did you get the discharger also?

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is the hybrid battery fan running?

4. mjaajm

mjaajm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. mjaajm

mjaajm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. We got the discharger

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    try using the discharger for a few minutes. Just to see if it functions correctly. That would at least verify whether its a device issue or a battery/wire harness issue (open circuit).

With the charger not putting out any amperage, the possibility exists you could have an assembly problem on the battery, a connection problem with the harness, a bad harness, or a bad charger.

If the discharger functions correctly then I would say the battery assembly is ok, the harness and it's connection would also be ok. That leaves only the charger to be faulty.

Prieth and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you sure the orange disconnect plug is properly installed?

Prieth likes this.
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The charger is not pulling any current should be showing .338 which is 338 milliamps.
    The charger is clamped at that regulation so it charges pretty slow so not to invoke heat. So I think Ski may be right the safety plug is not installed properly. You insert it fully then flip up the handle then push the handle down till it locks. Everyone forgets the push down part.

My ammeter on my charger goes crazy after a full discharge and battery voltage is very low it shows wild fluctuations between 0 amps and .338. Flips back and forth real fast. It settles in after a while when the battery voltage reaches 150 or so volts. Freaks you out first time though.

You have to charge it for at least 24 hours maybe more to get full benefit.

Skibob likes this.
  9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, @mjaajm (or husband), did you get it working?

11. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For those that want to know....the orange safety plug provides FULL electrical continuity as soon as it's pushed in about 2mm. The fuse makes contact and full voltage is available at the battery side of the relays. Pushing it further in and rotating the handle upward merely ensure full 100% contact and locks it in place. Pushing the handle straight down does NOTHING for continuity or locking it in place, it merely installs a jumper across the safety circuit contacts so the ECU knows the safety plug is installed.

jerrymildred likes this.
  12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok but how come we see so many posters who have inserted the plug but have not
    Pushed the lever down and dead in the water.
    That’s a lot of posters that get fixed by pushing the lever down.
    Listen I have never been inside the pack just trying to learn so take it easy.

13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's because, if you don't slide the handle to its proper position, you don't close that jumper that @TMR-JWAP described and therefore the ECU thinks the disconnect is still open.

Skibob and Prodigyplace like this.