1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prolong Hybrid Battery Reconditioning

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by The Critic, Jul 30, 2018.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IMG_1474.jpg

Walnut Creek to Sacramento, CA via 680N. 70-75mph (with some traffic), A/C set on Auto at 72F. The tires are 17” Michelin Premier A/S set to 35/33.

Normal fuel economy on this trip is between 41-44 mpg. I have not seen 49-50 mpg on this trip in years. While this is only one data point, a 10% improvement is very encouraging. The battery SOC was also very stable even during the stop-and-go traffic.

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not too bad;).

In our Prius we get very similar mpg at the same mph. Coincidence :whistle:?

Glad this worked out :).

Keep the data and observations coming(y).

3. Cody26

Cody26 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    [QUOTE=" But spending an hour doing a 2 minute load test on each module as per Prolong instructions and putting that data onto a spread sheet for future reference will be helpful many miles down the road. Perhaps once all the benefits of the battery reconditioning process have been completed it would be a good time to get that data? That way you'll have a sense of which of the 14 books to pay attention to via an OBD2 reader and phone app?
    [/QUOTE]
    Do you mean to test the individual modules? I think

Prolong® Battery Module Load Tester

will help in this case. But I don't know how to do it by yourself without buying the above one.

#23 Cody26, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  4. Cody26

Cody26 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    is there a post how you do everything manually?

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you go to Youtube and enter into the search bar: "load test prius hybrid battery module" you can watch a bunch of videos about how to do it. All the examples in the video don't use the load test product that hybridautomotive sells.

Cody26 likes this.
  6. Cody26

Cody26 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes, that helps. How about charge/discharge process? I don't think there are good videos on that. hybridautomotive sells do it on grid. Do you also do them on grid? What tools do you use?

I was wondering how can I do the full reconditioning without buying hybridautomotive products if the tools I use will be cheaper for me.

7. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Please if one discharges to 168V(6.0V/modules), instead of 134V as you have, what happens? Won't the same results be achieved?

8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, this is a thread about Prolong system... But...

How are your basic mechanical and electrical skills? Understanding of risks & experience with working around High Voltage?

If that part is covered, you can save money by doing it the slow labor intensive way, but it takes a really long time if you don't use multiple chargers and dischargers... Currently myself and another mechanic friend share four of these: IMAX B6 AC V2 for ~$40 on Ebay

That charger has a discharging function but I'd rather use two headlamp bulbs from the car because you can see the bulbs get dimmer as the discharge progresses and it's a little faster. It's basically the same process you do for load testing, but with a 2 bulbs instead of one and takes about ~20 minutes per module. First round you drain it down to 6.5 volts and recharge, second round down to 6v and recharge, third round down below 6 volts where it falls off a cliff and gotta be careful to not ruin module by discharging to 0v. That's the basics... If you want to find another thread on here or create a new thread specific to this process I'd be happy to offer more details and options.

Cody26 and DLC82SV like this.
  9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Don’t forget life is about time and money ;).

So it might cost less in the initial investment, but what is the time component as well as how much effort do you have to do during the process?

The Prolong equipment is well put together and almost “set it and forget it”:).

It requires occasional monitoring, but just a simple walk out to see the voltage and go back to what you were doing;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

DLC82SV likes this.
  10. Cody26

Cody26 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That is right. Since I am a student, I was looking if I can do it cheaper. But probably might end up buying it. Maybe I can find someone to share in my area but I have to search.

Since the device is just used two to three times a year it will just stay in my apartment unless I do some business and tell others I can recondition their batteries. Also, learning a lot by reading all the posts from priuschat.

DLC82SV likes this.
  11. DLC82SV

DLC82SV Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm in Colorado and thinking about getting the prolong system.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. Cody26

Cody26 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I live in NC.

DLC82SV and Raytheeagle like this.
  13. DLC82SV

DLC82SV Member