1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prometheus bites the dust

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by parrot_lady, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Prianista

Prianista Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It took me a couple days to think of looking at my state's (Washington) Insurance Commissioner's website for the rules on how the insurance company should treat you. If you haven't already, you might see if Illinois puts similar information on the web.

Glad to see that the only serious injury is to your car.

2. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Miss_Taz @ Apr 10 2006, 09:50 AM) [snapback]237447[/snapback]</div>
    other person was cited for two things (1) failure to yeild right of way through the intersection, and (2) no drivers license. I picked up a copy of the cops police report today, as well as taking care of getting the court date so that I could be there for that.

turns out the person left no insurance information besides a company name... meaning I'm up sh** creek and statefarm is gonna have to inspect it and take care of it from there. Statefarm will take care of it, but only so far (had one problem with medical bills last time with them, just took a long time get it worked out). I didn't get home in time to call the insurance company-- I left the house today at a little after 7 and am just now getting home-- had a doctors appointment at my mom's instantance only to find out I'm just bruised up as I suspected, my sis is in worse shape, bout the same as my dad, but they're both still in one piece.

This is just fun fun fun dealing with things.

Yeah. I should have "estimates" by tomorrow on the cost to repair/replace everything on it, but I have to make sure that I get them to include the new chasis stiffening plate in it... I wonder if the block heater could have gotten damaged, and I'm worried about the state of the hybrid battery... hoping nothing is leaking/wrong internally as I'm slightly unfamilar with it besides having seen it once when Wayne showed me Tony's battery pack.

Collision revision "lost" my key today... told me they left it in the car, SPECIFICALLY after being told not to do that... my dad told me I snapped on them, but they did deserve it. I made it a point to tell them don't, and they told me they did... not only that, but they left the car unlocked, when the guy came out I told him about the sks, locked my door and told him if the key was in the car it wouldn't happen like this (unless the key is in the trunk, and it wasn't). He got bent out of shape, and eventually found it I think me saying that they have exactly 15 minutes before I call the cops and report it stolen was enough incentive for him to move on finding the key-- told them it was anywhere from $200 + reprogramming fees they'd be responsible for, plus any damage in the mean time that occurs from not having it.

I have a few new pictures of just how bad the front end is messed up, but I'm exhausted and just want to sleep, so they'll wait til tomorrow.

Amy

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    no drivers's license??? what insurance company insures unlicensed drivers??

well, the answer to that is pretty easy

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ough deal. I just got my car fixed. yours has more damage though. Mine cost about 1600 dollars. that side panel will cost more in labor because they have to remove the door to repair it. so you're looking more around 2k in damage. the good thing is, they are all bolt on parts. that front "frame" bolts off. and they will replace the absorber on that side too. Lucky your airbag didn't go off. the sensor is right in that zone that got wiped out. even better that it wasn't the other side. the thermal containers are on the other corner.

best of luck and hope your car gets repaired asap.

5. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Should be interesting. I'd guess from the pictures you're not more than $5k in damage which puts it a long way from totaled.

Bad deal, glad everyone is ok.

6. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Just wondering of the name "Prometheus".... Stargate SG1 fan?

Well... didn't the "Prometheus" get distroyed this season? Man, hate to have named your car this if it is so.

Sorry, never the less. I have my share of accidents and concusions from accidents... so I know how you feel.

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(parrot_lady @ Apr 10 2006, 06:24 PM) [snapback]237828[/snapback]</div>
    Nope you can not lock the key in the trunk. I should know I learned it the hard way. I picked up my car out of state the next day I put my bags in the back and picked up my son for breakfast (he found the car for me). I could not lock the car? What is this all these strange beeps? I finally dragged out the owners manual and deciphered the beeps. Key in the car? It was clearly in my pocket!!! Oh no my new car was defective, then I remembered I put the second key in the bag in my trunk! As usual I was wrong and the computers were correct! I hate that. People just don't get this car too many new things, and no idea how much it might cost to replace them. Look at the poor guy who valet parked his car at an airport and the car arrived with an empty gas tank and battery because the car had been left on for a week or so. Don't trust them, stand up for yourself and don't take any wood nickels.

8. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Apr 10 2006, 10:42 PM) [snapback]237836[/snapback]</div>
    she might have had one, just didn't have it with her. car came back registered to the address she gave the cops in her name.... so he took her word for it on the insurance

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Apr 10 2006, 11:18 PM) [snapback]237855[/snapback]</div>
    oh but the lights on the right are totaled, and from poking around on PC it looks likes its $1,000 for the assemblage of them on the right, then the fog light too... pieces of the metal frame are torn... it is amazing it was one hell of an impact, everyone else has walked away stiff and sore, but me... I have only two bruises.

not to mention the stuff that was taken out from under the hood... two plastic containers, but nothing leaked at the scene... hopefully they're just over flow-- and hopefully it won't cost too much.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ Apr 11 2006, 12:01 AM) [snapback]237870[/snapback]</div>
    yeah, I made the joke earlier about that.... doomed my car by giving it a name of a ship that was blown up this season. (the icon I have is of the Prometheus blowing up) maybe I should change it to the odessy... my dad's car is called the dadelus(spelling is bad, I know) yeah sci-fi is a weakness of mine.

;)

Amy

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hang in there, Amy.
    You're tons of fun to hang out with and I certainly hope you don't lose that before the next Chicagoland meetup.

We're all thinking about ya and wish you the best with this battle. But in the grand scheme of things, Prometheus absorbed the impact just like he was supposed to. All the people were safe because of him. In the end, he's the hero and should be treated as such. This story would have a completely different spin if not for the safety of the Prius.

In a few short years, you'll be able to laugh about it all. ;)

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oic...so she has a license, but just not with her?? the insurance company name and the vehicle information should be more than enough to track down any policy she might have had, if any

11. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My sister was rear ended a few years ago when she signaled a right turn and slowed down, the car behind her did not slow down and hit her shoving her car into a ditch almost into a tree. Of course they were a young couple about 20 years old or so and the girl was pregnant, driver "didn't have his insurance with him" which was included in his citation but he gave the name of his insurance company. My sisters insurance paid for the repairs and attempted to track down this kids insurance, found out that his mother had a policy with that company but he wasn't on it so the insurance company could have sued it out of him or just eat the costs, not sure what happened but I think it was just claimed on uninsured motorist.

From my experiences with accidents/repairs/rentals:
    I gave the body shop hell with my Honda Insight because they did such poor work, so I took it to the Honda dealer who did an even worse job of it (luckily state farm paid to have the car stripped down and painted twice) and it seems like the more you compain about a body shop's work the worse they do just to make you even more mad.
    I had hell with Enterprise also, they always seemed to be out of cars and ended up giving me the choice between an SUV or a Chevy S-10 truck once, I took the S-10 and put about as much gas in it in one day of driving as it would take my Insight about 4 weeks to use, so of course I had it right back at Enterprise that evening for a trade. The manager was expecting me to bring the truck back, so he figured since I just had one of their cars I would get a free upgrade so he delivers a Malibu Classic to me. Once again, gas guzzler in comparison, I quickly ate up about $15 in gas on that one. Once again, straight back to Enterprise. After enough whining the manager apologized stating that he thought I would appreciate a free upgrade and he didn't think to notice in my information in their paperwork that I drove a Hybrid (and he reimbursed me with cash out of his pockets for my gas reciepts). I had been to a Toyota dealer before looking for a Prius to see up close and all they could tell me is "we dont keep them on the lot, you can go to enterprise down the street and see if they have one you can look at" so I went and they were nice enough to get the keys and go outside to show it to me and show me how it works. The girl even mentioned that I could request it if I wanted to rent it. So I decided since I needed a rental car I should give it a try, only to find out that "we only rent the Prius to Toyota customers, we have a contract with Toyota" and they just flat out refused, and told me I have the choice between an SUV (at my cost for upgrade) or a Focus and thats all the choice they had left (besides the forbidden Prius). I took the Focus, hauled @$$ down the nastiest dirt roads I could find like it was a rally car until I flew over a hill, landed and slammed on the brakes and the engine quit. It did start again, but it shook really bad whenever I stopped, so I called Enterprise, told them their piece of $hit car is broken and they told me to bring it right back and they would have the dealer look at it (of course I washed it first). As soon as I pulled onto the Enterprise lot they were standing there waiting for me with the keys to the Prius in hand... Of course they gave me the "you only get it for the weekend, bring it right back first thing monday morning and be careful with it, if anything happens to this car we can't get Toyota to replace it" to which I replied "can I get the insurance with that?".

And as far as Insurance claims adjusters go, I have learned that you stand there with them when they look the car over and MAKE SURE that they include things that possibly need replacing or repairs... you point out every little thing and then some and make the estimate as high as you possibly can even if it may not need to be replaced or may not be damaged at least try to make them quote it anyway. I had a minivan try to illegally pass in the center turn lane just as I approached my turn as entered the turn lane forcing the idiot into oncoming traffic nearly hitting multiple cars head on and clipping the front of my car as they swerved back to the right side of the road. Of course the fool ran, so my dad called 911 and 25 miles later (about 20 of it on the freeway at 80+ mph) I finally lost them as they faked an exit and I could not see around cars between us and never saw them again. The cops met me to get a report and said they were waiting just past the next exit and never saw them. I was pissed but fortunately I was able to read off the plate number to the 911 operator and they tracked the address and later caught them at home, had someone admit to driving the car and hitting me (claimed he didn't know he actually hit me and said he thought I was drunk so he tried to illegally pass me). Worst part is my dad said the minivan looked like it was full of people, and while telling my side of the story to one of their insurance reps she told me "I think they might have had their kids in the car" and she told me their ages, even she was upset by it.

Sorry for the long post, but it is difficult to deal with accidents. One other thing, it wouldn't hurt to try to claim "diminished value" which is the lowered value of your car due to accident history. I tried to claim it with state farm in one of my accidents, and they told me "go to at least 3 used car dealers and get signatures and estimated trade-in values that they would pay both with and without accident history and we will average the differences" or something like that, but it was such a hassle to deal with these car salesman that don't want to bother with you unless you are buying something... If you can get the insurance company to pay you off to your satisfaction prior to the repairs, then it may be worthwhile to part the car out or sell it on eBay "as is" and buy a new one. Some people buy these cars and repair them for a living, and others like to buy "well repaired" cars because they can afford them. Best of luck!

Oh yeah!!! Just recently the IMA light came on in my Honda Insight and I lost hybrid functions, no assist and battery gauge was dead. I had to go straight to a dealer, and found out that the main hybrid fuse INSIDE the battery pack "broke" (conveniently located all the way at the bottom under everything). The tech had to find this out through Honda Techline, he didn't know enough about a Hybrid to troubleshoot it and he was "one of their top 2 mechanics" which he was pretty good, nice enough guy anyway, but he found out that these fuses have broken in a very rare few cases and they think it may be from vibration or something is causing the sand to leak out of the fuse and the filament breaks... To my convenience, it had to happen on a friday, took all day before they could even look at it because I "didn't have an appointment", then it was so late in the day that they couldn't even order a fuse. Monday was a holiday at the time, and by Tuesday I get a call saying "the fuse is on back order, but they are supposed to be releasing them from Oregon tomorrow". So it was overnighted when available, with a grand total of appx $485 for parts/labor/shop supplies. I later put 2 and 2 together realizing that one of the body shops I got an estimate from put a special note on the estimate "DO NOT BAKE - Hybrid components may be damaged by heat" and I am now wondering if the fuse may have been damaged by baking in a paint booth and finally gave. Don't know if there is any way to prove anything or get compensation for it... but you should probably be sure it does not get baked if you do get it repaired.

12. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

Well I have an estimate from the body shop. I don't like it at all (it seems way to low compared to what I've found for prices of things on here) and I think I'm going over there today to tell them that they need to do another or update it after I look it over, and come back with letters...

I have a manfacturing engineer whos going to give me his written opinion on exactly why the chasis stiffening plate underneath needs to be replaced. Let statefarm worry about the cost of that one.

Body shop won't deal with getting me that until I bring them paperwork proving that I bought it. Horse manure. take one look at the car or the plate and you can clearly see it has BT TECH on the plate... after market.

mudflaps are another problem. they seem to think that they come standard on the car. I can't replace them at the cost that I got them at... so they're getting the sigma automotive page from there... and informed that shipping is more. Let them worry about it, let them order it, and let them pay for it.

I got snippy with them last night as they weren't moving nice person on a few things over there.

Yeah, I have an attitude, and I don't like to use it in situations like these. The tow company caused additional damage to my car that will not NOT NOT be covered on the original claim. I'm not filing a second claim with statefarm.

I'm going over there this morning to get a copy of the estimate and then add what I see fit to it, and give it back to them. I'm not dealing with " we'll see what else is broken when we get in there". no. I want EVERYTHING on there. They stand to profit by fixing my car, so I have a feeling thats why they're lowballing the estimate. I wonder if I can get a toyota tech from the dealership down the street to give his own personal estimate of whats screwed up on the car.

And you know what, I don't particularly care anymore if they find this thread. I don't care if my insurance agent finds this thread, and I don't care.

13. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

[​IMG]

nice huh? With everything I've looked at, the little black box up there is supposed to be the airbag sensor, no? kinda scary if it is considering that the force used to crush the aluminum right infront of it was.... yeah...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

you can see some of the additional damage they did to my car if you look carefully at the passenger door panel. It wasn't like that Monday before the move, and guess what... I got the pictures to prove it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Little more additional damage to the car...grease on the cloth interior! Wth. You can't believe how angry I was when I found my car left in this condition. The fact that they failed to secure it before they took off from Joliet and brought it up to Elmhurt pisses me off... they did additional damage to the car, and possibly ruined a wiring harness by leaving the light hanging out the way they did. I know too many engineers....

Amy

14. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you need any documentation from me about the BT Plate, let me know. You have to watch State Farm in cases like this. I was involved in an accident with a lady who ran a stop light and drilled my MR2. Her insurance (USAA) believed her story that I ran the red light even though the officer on the scene ticketed her for running it. I had witnesses and everything. State Farm finally subrogated the claim with USAA, but now I'm incorrectly listed as being the at-fault driver on the accident. State Farm refuses to change it, and it costs me an extra $200 every six months with GMAC (who I love).

15. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    actually, I think the box in question might be the headlight ECU.
    The impact sensors are on the inward side of the frame rails,
    I believe...
    _H*

16. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Apr 12 2006, 11:11 AM) [snapback]238506[/snapback]</div>

I took over my reciept to the body shop. I need documentation stating that the plate is stressed/damaged otherwise from the impact (if more pictures are necessary I can get them up online) and might not be showing the damage through the anonidized coating and might not ever show it. thats where the manfacturing engineer comes in b/c he's a wonderful guy and knows about it-- works for Delphi after all... it would be his professional opinion on it.

I took over the PCshop receipt, but it was for two plates-- I ordered my dads at the same time as mine. By the time the new plate gets ordered it probably won't be on sale so I left out the fact that they are on "sale" in the PC shop at this time b/c I don't want to risk having to pay anything else out of pocket at this point.

Estimate is LOWER than low... I just was able to look it over and theres a lot of stuff on there I don't agree with-- the cost of replacing the front bumper is one of them.

at this point, after detuctible its costing around $4g to get the front end fixed cosmetically. that doesn't include the drive train damage, the front passenger tire damage, the sks being messed up but royally... The car won't unlock for me with either key (i took the new one out there to see if it was a battery issue, nope, it doesn't recognize the key) and me slipping the hand in the door.

I'm wondering if I can get a toyota tech down there to inspect the car itself... it won't be right again ever.

I do intend to do what the other poster said and hit them for the difference in damages for trade in value. I have to wait until I have a final estimate on that though before I go see how much of a difference its going to make.

Amy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Apr 12 2006, 01:15 PM) [snapback]238577[/snapback]</div>
    hrm ok... its still odd... and I know its right up there.

17. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

That sucks Amy! <----- obvious statement!

I'm sure it'll all work out for you, obviously, you have a good head on your shoulders!

BTW, I LOOOOOOOVE this line:

Nice....!!!!!!!

B)

18. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay, first thing if you want to get this taken care of right you need to check the attitude and get a little more mature about this whole thing.

Blowing up, jumping up and down, cussing, screaming at people, and yelling about your thousands of dollars worth of equipment are just going to make the body shop and the insurance company want to get rid of you as fast as possible. That means they don't care about making you happy or doing the absolute best work they can for you, they just want you gone. Thats why thepolice and tow driver at the scene reacted the way they did and rushed the process like they did.

You're an adult, somebody hit your car. Its just a car and this happens to everybody at some point. If you take your time, do your research, be firm, calm, polite, and respectful to the bodyshop and the insurance company you can and will have the vehicle repaired and get everything you want. That won't happen however if you continue to scream at everyone like a kid.

Okay, if you'll take three breaths and listen I can help you.

Here are your objectives:

1. You want the car repaired properly and restored to like new condition using all factory OEM parts. This is your right, it is ILLEGAL for an insurance company to refuse to cover OEM replacement parts on a vehicle less than 7 model years old. This is a given. State Farm knows this because they're the ones that got sued and lost to establish the precedent.

2. You want to be reimbursed for the difference in trade in values after the accident, this is also your right depending on your state's laws and it is called a "deminished value claim".

2. You want to be reimbursed for the replacement cost for the equipment that was installed aftermarket on the car. This is also your right but as you've realized it gets trickier here. In the grand scheme of things which is more important? Being reimbursed for the cost of a $150 stiffening plate or your $2,000 computer? You need to pick your battles here.

3. You want to be reimbursed for your rental, sounds like a done deal.

4. You want to be reimbursed for your medial expenditures and pain and suffering. If you have medical expenditures then indeed, the insurance company should pay for them. Pain and suffering needs to go right out the window. Again, this is life and it happens to everybody. A judge is going to dismiss that immediately unless there has been some permanent damage done to someone who'se life is altered because of it.

Okay, understanding that these are your objectives you need to realize that these are not the objectives of the insurance company, and if the body shop was reccomended by the insurance company then its not their objective either. They want to have to spend as little as possible and make you go away. This is now a business negotiation, and if you come at it with anger and drama you LOSE. If you come at it armed with facts, a knowledge of your rights, and an unyielding polite firmness you WIN! You are in total control over whether you lose or win.

If you are incapable of doing this, have someone else do it.

You also have to realize that you are unqualified to assess the amount the repairs should be. If you question their assessment, get as many opinions as you need. Yes, this may cost you some money but its worth it. Talk to some other shops reccomended to you by family and friends and the Toyota dealer. Yes the Prius is different, but its not THAT different from a normal car.

And lastly, stay positive. Everything will work out, worst case scenario you'll be displeased with the car after you get it back and you'll trade it in on another one. Thats a hard hit, but the damage doesn't look that bad to me. $10k would be my guess.

19. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Should she also be "polite and respectful" with some yutz that tried
    to whip a left in front of them and caused this whole mess in the
    first place? Someone who evidently can't be bothered to find her
    own paperwork before hitting the highway?
    Where do you strike the balance? How do we ensure that the at-fault
    party learns to be a better, more proactive driver from this? How
    do we make it easy to turn "you F** idiot, you're supposed to YIELD
    when making a left" into positive encouragement for that person?
    _H*

20. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes, absolutely. She should be polite and respectful to everyone, she's only hurting herself by not being so.

You don't have to give people "positive encouragement" but getting angry and spitting venom at everybody doesn't do ANYTHING to make the situation better. All it does is make it worse, and the person who ultimately will pay for that is her since she's the one that cares. Do you think those people in that Saturn care how their car is repaired? No.

This isn't about making people "better proactive drivers" or helping people do or become anything, this is about making her position the strongest it possibly can be so that she comes out of this as well as is possible. The way to do that is to be calm, professional, armed with facts and information, flexible, and unwaveringly firm about her position.

Contrary to popular belief being beligerant and absuive doesn't send the message "I will not accept anything less than the best possible repair of my vehicle and reasonable restitution for all damages to my property", it sends the message "I'm a crazy b#!&*, I want to yell and scream at everyone, and you're NEVER going to be able to satisfy me. Take advantage of me and then get rid of me".

Being calm, professional, knowledgable, polite, and FIRM sends the message she wants to send.

For the record, I have a degree in Psychology and Communication with an emphasis on business negotiating strategies and I negotiate multi-million dollar real estate transactions for a living. The first person who gets angry in a negotiation loses. Trust me.

Amy- I know you're angry, upset, and beyond stressed out about this but you have to listen to me. This is how they want you to be because you are incapable of making rational decisions like this. You stay like this, they win. If you listen to me, you win. Your choice.