1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prometheus bites the dust

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by parrot_lady, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Unfortunately, some people only respond appropriately when you're a complete a-hole to them.

2. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That is absolutely not true. If you stick with your process, stay with your objectives people will always do what you want them to do in the end. If you know that you're right and never waiver from that, then you cannot be wrong. If you're not getting anywhere with a particular person then you need to change who you are talking to. If its the body shop, change body shops. If its the insuance adjuster, move above his head.

Negotiating is all about making the other side believe that your objectives are their objectives. Lets examine everybody's objectives in this situation again. Negotiating always begins with establishing everybody's objectives.

Amy: Amy's objective is to get her vehicle repaired properly, and be refunded a fair refund for her damaged property in the shortest time possible.

State Farm: State Farm's objective is to settle this claim as cheaply as possible, keep its customer, and get this over with as quickly as possible.

Body shop: The body shop's objective is to get to repair the vehicle, and to maintain its good standing with the insurance company if they are a blue ribbon shop (thats why I never use blue ribbon shops, it weakens my position).

Okay, now that we've established that. Amy wants her car fixed, what she needs to realize is that what it costs is not important, she just wants it fixed quickly and she wants it fixed right. She should be less concerned about the cost, and more concerned that everything that needs repair or replacement is being repaired or replaced with genuine OEM components. Get 3 estimates from 3 different sources. Information is your ammunition, and you can't have too much. Get your budy from Delphi in there, get a letter from him.

Now, the other thing you need to realize is that State Farm's objective of settling the claim for the least amount of money doesn't mean that they don't want the car repaired correctly. They need to be able to insure the car after its repaired unless they're going to total it, and most insurance companies will stand behind work done by their blue ribbon shops and as some other people have noted in here, have paid for repairs twice before. The more you tie up their resources by negotiating calmly and professionally the more it costs them to settle your claim, so you'll be surprised by how quickly they'll just give you what you want. When you get beligerant and hostile though they know you'll never be satisfied, so giving you what you want doesn't look quite as attractive in the long run.

Stick to your objectives and it will be fine. Start writing letters and requesting responses back in writing when dealing with the insurance company, or if you communicate by phone, follow up with a letter or email verifying the things you discussed. This way they can never claim they didn't say something that they did indeed say.

Keep us posted.

3. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Apr 12 2006, 03:07 PM) [snapback]238645[/snapback]</div>

thanks hobbit... I wish I had gotten the chance to do that.

As for the other poster... I already know what in the heck I'm doing. I have a lawyer, I have the claims started on both ends, and I might only be posting the bad things for a reason. Despite how helpful you want to sound, its coming off as rude on my end. I've got claims on the homeowner ins. moving along, or about to be started for everything else that isn't covered so far.

I've gots lists, and contacts and numbers out the wazoo for talking to people. Its day... what.. 4? since the accident. I won't be nice to the person that hit me. She's not my friend. She didn't think about it before she did it. Her lawyers/insurance company... same thing. They get the stubborn side of me, and you know what, they have to put up with it.

As far as the body shop goes, I've got limited options there. My car is staying there... despite the fact that the adjuster/inspector was SMOKING in my car, and I had polietly told him that he wasn't to do so (Sir, you can't smoke in my car is as polite as I'll get) its staying there.

No one in this is my friend when they can potentially take gain from what I'm going through. I won't make it difficult, but I'm going to stubborn in explaining things and making it a point that the prius is not just any other car off the street.

and squid... you'd be happy to know I'm in a toyota corolla. Still STICKY, but better than the gas guzzler that I had to rent on Saturday.

yeah.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 12 2006, 03:32 PM) [snapback]238661[/snapback]</div>
    :D :D

Squid thats truth there. :lol:

I hate to say it but way back when, in another accident other lawyers tried to be buddy buddy with a friend of mine b/c it was her vehicle that was damaged, and it wasn't until she took a hostile attitude towards them that they freaking got off their duffers and got to paying things back for her.

I guess I'm repetitive. I've told them about the sks being damaged and the driving/shifting issue enough that Its not in the estimate, but they know.

the only reason the cops "rushed it" was as a result of us being in the middle of an EXTREMELY busy intersection...

infact the cop was the one who told me they were hoisting my car-- and asked the tow truck driver to stop doing that.... not everything is as bad as its painted, nor does everyone have all the details except those that are there.

4. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Steve,

Did you forget your on the backward thinking forum here?

Common sense has no place, so please stop.

LOL...

5. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(parrot_lady @ Apr 12 2006, 03:29 PM) [snapback]238672[/snapback]</div>
    Okay, if you've got all the answers then I wish you a lot of luck. You shouldn't confuse confidence with rudeness, people pay me a lot of money to negotiate on their behalf with a lot more at stake then you have here, I know what I'm talking about and I know that I'm right. If you change your mind and decide you're interested in my input, shoot me a PM. I'll be happy to tell you exactly what to say in every situation if you'd like.

As for "being buddy buddy" or being the "other driver's friend" I'm advising you to do nothing of the sort. All I'm suggesting you do is be polite and respectful in your discourse and be firm and unyielding in your position rather than ranting and raving and screaming.

I did however learn a long time ago not to try and help people who think they have all the answers, so I won't do that here.

Seriously LOL.

6. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

its been a while since an update so here goes:

I called the autobody shop April 25th to check on things after leaving the car there un-attended, un questioned for a while. (my dad did stop by once and take pictures when they had everything torn apart in the shop)

[​IMG]

so after everything is said and done, they got my car put back together and all pretty. It was supposed to be done yesterday afternoon, so I was busy, and am out of town (I'll explain) I let it slide til mid this morning, call back and find out that the ins has to come back out and re-inspect the car.

I called the 'rents and told them that, and they were like "we were told about the sks not working properly".

I told the body shop this when I brought them my car.

Apparently thats why statefarm has to come back out and inspect it. The sks is near dead. When I saw my car out in Joliet, before the big move out to where its at now, I was unable to make it function even with the key in my hand. I was even able to lock the sks fob in the car on the drivers seat. The only way for me to unlock the door was to hit the unlock feature on the key.it still works that way, but its a PITA, and not the way the sks should work.

I've looked on here for an answer, only thing i could conclude is leaving the key in the car drains the sks fob battery, but I have to be home to take the second key out there to see if its drained, or tell them to buy another cr XXXX battery and replace it to see if that fixes the problem. I don't know which is worse, knowing that my car is fixed besides that problem, and almost ready to go or the fact that I am a stubborn jerk and took off for a 6 hour drive on the wed following the car accident.

I got out to where I was going, and a friend was driving the rest of the way, so without much else, I pulled the rental into the garage and left it. I ignored my headache up til this point chalking it up to stress... three days with no answer on the car/quote on the work/other problems/family having health problems... a week later I still have it, its way way worse, and I'm to the point where I've been advised against driving myself home. I can't stand to even sit in the car for long periods of time without getting sick to my stomach and more dizzy. I went to the ER just to make sure nothing was completely wrong. Its even better when they mention CAT scan and you're not to fond of small places. they got it ok, but it left me shaking like leaf and a little more hostile towards actually going back to the ER for any other procedures. Its not their fault, but I was cleared medically nothing wrong at that point.

Its a fun fun time. I'm itching to get my car back, I want the sks to work though, so it can wait.

I'm wondering how much other damage might surface when they dig around with the sks problem.

so... thats where I'm at up to this point... anyone else with sks problems, perhaps soemthing I didn't find in the search?

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You didn't mention, but did you make absolutely sure that the SKS isn't turned off under the steering wheel?
    It's a simple enough procedure to change the battery, I think I'd do that for sure before anything else if you're sure the SKS is turned on.

It seems very unlikely that the SKS would have been damaged in that accident, the SKS ECU is in the middle of the car (under the center console). I suppose it's possible that the oscilator in the passenger door got damaged so it wouldn't work, and I don't know if one oscillator being broken prevents the entire system from working or not.

But definately check the button and change the battery before you let them start taking anything apart.

8. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Glad to hear there's light at the end of the tunnel...

9. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Amy:
    This is all redundant now that I've discovered the last two pages of posts, but here's thoughts from my own experience for what it's worth. Since you also deal with State Farm, I can only conclude that the quality of service must vary a lot from agent to agent rather than being a reflection of company policy. I've been insure with SF since I was 16 and have had excellent service with no hassles from them other than the hassle of the accident(s) themselves. My history with SF goes back to the Bay Area when I was first insured under my mom's policy, to now, living in Seattle. Two agents, excellent service from both.

I'm soooo sorry to see your Prius so mangled but I'm in a position to empathize. Mine was hit one night by a hit and run driver who stove in the whole rear quarter on the driver's side. The tow guys flatbedded it out to the best body shop in Seattle who did an absolutely amazing job on restoring the car. Don't despair, but DO check into the body shops. Depending on your insurance company, you might get a wide range of options.

Some thoughts/tips:
    1. There are seven grades of repair, ranging from very amateurish, to factory original reconstruction/restoration. State Farm assured me, as did the independent body shop, that they subscribed to the highest level of work, using only OEM parts. I got to see the restoration and was impressed by the design of the Prius and also by the techs who worked on it.
    2. There are no aftermarket parts for the Prius; it's too new. Everything they put on the car will be OEM equipment. They may use a reconditioned wheel, but it will be a Prius wheel.
    3. The Prius doesn't have a "frame". What the repair folks do is remove the damaged panels at the spot welds in the reverse order from how they were assembled to begin with. Using laser guides, they can realign the body of the car to accuracy levels that would make the repair undetectable.
    4. My body shop reprimed and painted everything, including portions of the panels that would be covered by carpeting and interior fittings.
    5. The work is warranted for the life of the car.

If your insurance company gives you a list of body shops, go on line and look into their reputations, etc. Some insurance companies hold their body shops to very high standards, but make sure.

Best of luck and accept the condolences of one who's been there.
    Bob

10. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 27 2006, 02:45 PM) [snapback]246211[/snapback]</div>
    Efusco... THANK YOU. I sent what you told me to them-- I hope you don't mind. They tend to work closely with toyota but they don't see too many wrecked Prius coming in, so the techs might have missed something... meaning they're gonna have to work it over again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Apr 27 2006, 04:21 PM) [snapback]246248[/snapback]</div>
    No, I'm still pretty much an donkey, just not to these people. I took a tone with the first body shop, and her insurance agency telling me how much of the damage they're gonna cover. No, shes at fault, shes insured with you, thats the reason she has insurance, you will pay my insurance company back, no excuses.

and Bob Allen, thanks. I've had one statefarm agent LIE right to my face b/c he wanted more money from me for my ins. policy. (they told me for the multi line discount my parents name had to be on the title of my car) Its why I switched agents about 2-3 months before this. I'd been there once, and when I walked in they knew me by name, and we had a very pleasant conversation.

*sigh* so I guess I sit and wait now, hope they find out quickly whats the problem.

11. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

So I have HAPPY news...

I got Prometheus back last FRIDAY! (I've been absent at ACEN- anime central, yes I still watch cartoons at my age :-P)

There was about $8,000 of damage to him, and I'm STILL not done getting him fixed up. Unfortunately there is a big 'ole problem with my windshield wipers. They are not spraying as high as they should be, or as strong, and they are replacing the nozzles first. (I do not know, but I don't think it will fix the problem). I've been back twice, they had it working normally yesterday, but when I used them today they weren't working again. *grumble* The parts are on order and should be installed by this weekend.

Besides that, he drives like new, looks like new, I replaced the chasis stiffening plate, Brian is a WONDERFUL guy to talk to on the phone, my insurance probably won't cover it-- they said yes in the begining but changed their mind without inspecting it, or taking it off the car even, but what the heck, I can't be to careful with things.

I'm going be gone again for a while getting insurance and court date things straightened out, getting life back to normal.

I'm also looking at buying new seat covers when I start working again, my prefrence is right now for the wet okole neoprene ones. something compatible with the airbags, which I didn't realize what they'd do to the seat covers until now.

12. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(parrot_lady @ May 10 2006, 11:55 PM) [snapback]253316[/snapback]</div>
    Cool! I was wondering what happened to you! B)

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Amy,
    So, was the SKS problem just the button or did they have to fix something there too?

14. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 11 2006, 12:11 PM) [snapback]253464[/snapback]</div>
    thanks Efusco!

Ah yes, that problem... it was shut off. I don't understand how it was, because NO ONE was under there at the scene of the accident/nothing flew into it.

As far as I can tell they just turned it back on. I'm thrilled that nothings was smashed up there.

As soon as its not raining I'll be washing and waxing him and taking new pictures for you all.

Amy

15. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The sprayers are aimable. I wrote a thread about it: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=10030
    I originally had pictures to go with it, but the didn't make the server-switch. Be very careful when you are doing this.

And I can't wait to see the Big P at the next meetup.