1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Promoting Prius Prime by misleading about Prius PHV

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by john1701a, Jul 7, 2016.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's pretty easy to mislead about past hybrid system characteristics with an audience unfamiliar with the history. We've seen this type of misleading in the past with the regular model of Prius. So, it was pretty much inevitable when the next generation of plug-in model rolled out.

This article really annoyed me... 3 Reasons Toyota Expects the Prius Prime to Be a Huge Success

It started with this statement about Prius PHV (the first generation of plug-in hybrid): "It’s hard to argue with Toyota executives on this point. The first Prius plug-in was rated by the EPA at 11 EV miles, but a look at fueleconomy.gov reveals it could only go 6 miles on electric power alone."

That's blatant misleading. The capacity of plug-supplied electricity clearly isn't consumed entirely at the 6-mile mark in the EPA testing cycle. That topic was beaten to death over the first few years following rollout. Greenwash attempts were plentiful, but all fell short when actual kWh capacity was considered. There really is 11 miles of EV available. Driving without a hard-acceleration, like the EPA test has, easily confirms that.

The next was frustrating to read: "Imagine finding a Level 2 (240v) charger and hanging out for 1.5 hours every time you wanted to get the old Prius PHEV fully charged. It sounds ridiculous when you only get 6 electric miles out of the deal, but that’s how long it took on a 240v connection. On a standard household outlet (110v), it would take between three and four hours to fill the battery."

Not only was there that same misleading point about EV range, it also included an outright lie. On a standard household outlet, it only takes 2.5 hours to fully recharge. That attempt to claim it's 3 to 4 hours is so wrong and blatantly incorrect, I can't help but to get angry from reading it.

Sadly, the reasons for those statements was to convince us that Prius Prime (the second generation of plug-in hybrid) will be much more successful. That's not the slightest bit constructive. Omitting vital detail and including information that is clearly not right really frustrates, to say the least.

Why do some people do that?

#1 john1701a, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    Mister MMT likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ignorant articles, written by ignorant people. but hey, at least she was positive in her ignorance.

i wonder if touota still thinks 30k a year, given lift back sales. i know, i know, prime and lift back have nothing in common. still, green is currently a difficult market segment.

3. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree at least the article was upbeat and giving the car some press. It appears the Gen4 is meeting with some market headwinds. It is not clear if it is the current low gas price situation, growing competition or the car design itself. Time will tell. The Prime version is interesting but it will see similar market headwinds along with the problem of a barely competitive electric range and increased purchase cost.

The Prime PlugIn purchase, at prevailing gas prices, is hard to justify on a cost basis when compared with a standard Prius. It is more of a lifestyle decision. Once you decide on the electric life style, the 11 or even 22 mile range, to me, is insufficient. I want 50 miles or better.

PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. it's an individual decision based on need and desire. i'm surprised toyota didn't offer several battery options.

5. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Imagine the FUD when someone writes that the Prime takes 6+ hours to fully charge at 120v.

I'm currently working out a way to fully empty the charge of a hand phaser into the Prime battery in seconds. Problem is that the hand phaser takes another 6 hours to charge, or 2.75 hours at 240v.

Silver Pine Mica and bisco like this.
  6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad Toyota finally found a way to speed up those pesky electrons. Imagine 12 amps @120volt taking so long to charge up on PiP. Now somehow Prime is much faster to charge with the same 12 amps. Can perpetual motion be far behind? I'd actually like a slower charge at home overnite.

#6 wjtracy, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    12.0 miles exactly for EV on the commute home yesterday. All were consecutive. I simply drove and stopped when 0.1 miles of range was left and shut off the Prius for a summary photo. It said 11.9 miles had been traveled with just electricity. I had 2 quick jaunts on the highway at 55 mph and there were 2 big hills to climb. No big deal... and twice the distance claimed.

Overall efficiency for the round-trip, with a recharge at work, was 145 MPG. That's great for 39.9 miles of driving with the Prius PHV. Just think what the Prius Prime will be able to do on that same route driven the same way.

Mister MMT, Jeff N and KrPtNk like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think prime charging is any faster than pip. double the size, double the time?

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Charge-Rate will get bumped up quite a bit:

2.2 kW = Prius PHV

3.3 kW = Prius Prime

bisco likes this.
  10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    20 miles will work well for many. Covering a good portion of most daily commutes for lower cost, and what should be better packaging of the battery in the car.

That would increase development costs. I don't see anybody incurring that for a PHEV at this point. Those offering a larger battery option now drop the hybrid part for a BEV.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not volt, but 50 miles may eventually catch up to them in price. no one is offering it, and no one is selling many. if someone did offer 2-3 levels, it would fit a larger market segment. i have no idea if it could be done profitably at this point though.

12. NeilPeart

NeilPeart Hybrid & PiP Convert

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    While my family has owned a variety of Priuses (Prii?) over the years and I currently enjoy our current models, I think Toyota is out of touch with the market (at least in the US). I have now driven the Mirai at 2 events and, while I enjoy driving it, I don't think it will be successful because the EV market is growing and has the industry synergy behind it. It's also expensive and uses a proprietary and limited-scope fueling system. I understand we are in the nascent stages of the alt-fuel era, but it just seems like the market is moving in a unified direction while Toyota remains stubborn in their own vision. Sometimes that can be rewarding and other times it is not; only time will reveal the answers here. However, a new PiP with low EV miles and only 4 seats and no full-EV challenger is not viable in my humble opinion. Look at the new Hyundai Ioniq that is available as a hybrid, plug-in and full EV. Look at the new Volt, Spark and and upcoming Bolt (not to mention the upcoming Tesla Model 3). When the Prius Prime hits the market it will be an uphill battle in the face of competition and the family that sees the 4 seats and says, "I cannot compromise in this one area - I need 5 seats." I think Toyota is too eager to capture the millennial market demographic and is trying to lure them with style first. If I was buying in the next couple of years I would have a hard time choosing the Prius Prime over the many alternatives - and I am a huge fan of Toyota. It seems they are being stubborn and perhaps even a little arrogant - I still don't understand why they don't pursue a full EV vehicle with their battery expertise. Time will tell...

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes, I don't think it is profitable to do so at this point. It might happen in the future. I think, more likely will be making a BEV with some battery choices and a range extender option though.

There was a rumor the gen2 Volt would have had a battery size choice.
    I'd say Toyota is pushing style on the Prime more to cover up that they didn't give it their all in trying to minimize the compromises of the battery pack.

The other Japanese car companies will have a FCEV out, at least in Japan, because it is a push by the Japanese government. Building markets outside the home country makes it cheaper to build them for there. But Toyota seems to be the most devoted. The new Clarity FCEV arrives soon from Honda, but they are offering a PHEV and BEV version to sell outside of the limits of the hydrogen network.

The hydrogen refueling standards aren't proprietary, but they haven't settled yet. The first Clarity had 5000psi tanks. The hydrogen stations built then had to be upgraded for 10,000psi that is required for near gasoline refueling speeds. The Mirai actually has tanks for 12,000psi, which Japan is moving too. If California adopts this, they will have to upgrade the stations again. Then there is a method developed that uses a pressurized water prefill for faster tank filling, and the possibility of metal hydride storage for cars.

Then Nissan's FCEV for Japan just ditches the effort of dealing with pure hydrogen, and reforms ethanol for it onboard.

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Effective greenwashing has led many to believe fuel-cell and electric-only vehicles are mutually exclusive. In reality, they will coexist.

It is a means of getting uninformed readers to undermine discussion threads and discredit Toyota.

Ultimately, the goal is to divert attention and prevent awareness of cost & profit importance.

Prius Prime taking advantage of Toyota's new production approach aged keeping the pack relatively small helps to establish it as a high-volume vehicle capable of actually competing directly with the true competition without tax-credits traditional vehicles.

What other plug-in hybrid is positioned for that?

#14 john1701a, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What is the implication of 3.3 at home? as I assume many have 15 amp breakers.

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not sure, though 20 amp is commonly available.

If you're lucky, there is the possibility of 30 or 40 amp for homes. It basically depends upon how much your house is setup to handle or if you want to run a new line.

My garage has the box in it and 200 amp overall capacity. So, I could go all out.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good question. i thought the numbers were 6 hours on 120v and 3 hours on 240. which is double the pip.
    i could be wrong though, it's so hard to go through the prime threads and re find this info. sometimes, it's in the middle of a video, just as a passing reference.

18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This is Toyota's official FAQ on recharge time for Prius Prime:

Prius Prime’s battery can be charged in 5.5 hours by plugging the included charge cable into a standard household outlet. When using a public charging station (240V), Prius Prime can be fully charged in just under 2.5 hours.

bisco likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks john! that's a wee bit better than pip? 2 1/2 hours on 12v and 1 1/4 hours on 240v.

20. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I still don't get the economics. At .15/kWh the Prime will cost about $.05 per mile to drive on electricity. That is the same as a standard Prius on $2.50 gas. This does not include the cost of the home wiring changes or the increased cost of the Prius Prime. So....... it is a lifestyle decision unless you get free charging at work.

I have no problem with the idea of liking something and buying it. My test drives with an electric vehicle have been enjoyable. I like gliding in my current Prius. I think Toyota is going to have to push the Prime vehicle price close to the standard Prius to sell them as they did with the first Gen plug in because the "lifestyle" buyers will head to other manufacturers that get it.